The Craft & Design Studio is a unique Canadian career-oriented program and facility. It is an artist-in-residency, incubator and training centre that uses a self-directed learning approach, which is open to post-graduates demonstrating a thorough and comprehensive understanding, conceptually as well as technically, in one of five areas: Ceramic, Design, Glass, Metal or Textile.
We are the only residency of its kind in Canada to receive the generous support of Canadian Heritage through the Canada Arts Training Fund.
Studio Equipment List
- Electric kiln (oval) – 16.5 cubic feet
- Electric kiln (round) – 7 cubic feet
- Extruding system
- Front loading gas kiln – 31 cubic feet of stack space
- Pottery wheels
- Slab roller
- Spray Booth – 47″ x 39″ opening
- Ware racks (2 per AiR)
- Worktables (approx. 6’x3′ per AiR)
- Epilog Zing 24 (60 watt) Laser Cutter with Rotary Attachment
- iMac Computers (2)
- Adobe Creative Cloud
- Annealers with digital controls (5)
- Belt Sander
- Diamond Saw
- Drill press
- Electric Kiln (Oval) – 12 cubic feet
- Electric Slumping Kiln – 5 cubic feet
- Gas Furnace w. 350 lb crucible
- Glory Holes (1 single burner; 1 double burner)
- Grinder (lap wheel)
- Lathe (1″ spindle)
- Wax/Plaster cast set-up
- Anvils and mandrels
- Band saw
- Scroll saw
- Belt sander
- Draw plates
- Drill press
- Enameling kiln
- Foredom flex shafts
- Hydraulic press
- Magnetic and rotary tumblers
- Polishing machine
- Ring stretcher
- Rolling mills
- Soldering stations – oxygen/propane
- Soldering stations – acetylene
- Wax injector
- Dark room
- Dye mixing hood
- Dye set-up with gas burner
- Industrial Steamer
- Knitting machine (main bed)
- Light table
- Pattern drafting table
- Print table (16’ x 5’)
Craft & Design at Harbourfront Centre is a third party recommender for Ontario Arts Council (OAC) Exhibition Assistance Grants for Craft Artists in Ontario.
OAC Exhibition Assistance Grants — ranging from $500 to $2000 — are for exhibition preparation (ie. materials, framing and preparation, crating and transportation).
Annual Jury Deadline: September 15 and January 14 (or the next business day).
To learn more, please consult the OAC’s website here.
You can find a list of of all Exhibition Assistance recommenders here.