Harbourfront Centre is a leader in providing internationally renowned artistic, educational and recreational programming across a beautiful 10-acre campus at the heart of Toronto’s waterfront. For more than 45 years, Harbourfront Centre has celebrated the best in Canadian culture and the rich mosaic of cultures from around the world, presenting thousands of events annually from music festivals to contemporary dance, to craft and design, to visual arts and more. Welcoming visitors year-round, there is something for everyone at Harbourfront Centre!
Exciting seasonal employment opportunities for summer 2024 exist in Harbourfront Centre Camps, one of Toronto’s largest, most diverse and creative day camps. We are currently looking to bring on board a multitude of Counsellors to assist with the delivery of our programming.
Position Title: Counsellor
Department: Recreational Learning
Number of Vacancies: 60+
Type of Employment: Seasonal, Contract
Duration: June-September 2024 (Mandatory training: June 24-28, 2024 and then Camps taking place from July 2-August 30, 2024) *dates subject to change
Hours of Work: Monday to Friday, 35-40 hours per week (training on weekends; additional duties starting at 7:30am and going as late as 6pm may be assigned)
Rate of Pay: $16.55 per hour
- Assist Facilitators in program delivery.
- Supervise and ensure the safety of campers at all times.
- Organize camp games, activities and arts and crafts.
- Prep materials and assist in set-up/clean-up.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be at least 16 years of age within the calendar year.
- Ability to develop, organize and lead camp programming.
- Responsible and dependable (punctual, prioritize safety of campers/other staff, etc.).
- A enthusiastic attitude to face each work day with positivity and dynamism.
- Must enjoy working with children and youth.
- A Criminal Background Check (with Vulnerable Sector Screening) is required (over 18 years of age) or Statutory Declaration (under 18 years of age).
- Previous experience working with children or youth (babysitting, tutoring, camp, after-school programs, etc.) is preferred.
- Experience with one of the specialized disciplines (D&D, visual arts, performing arts, circus, etc.) is an asset.
- A valid Standard First Aid and CPR-C certification is valued.
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. Non-Canadian applicants must have a valid employment Visa and proper documentation authorizing their ability to work in Canada for the full duration of the contract.
- The role involves some exposure to rigorous physical activity and inclement weather conditions during outdoor programs, as well as standing for prolonged periods of time.
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
Harbourfront Centre’s Camps team is committed to advancing our efforts in equity, diversity and inclusion. We are passionate about learning and supporting participants of all ages and abilities in their growth and development. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply–regardless of race, ancestry, ethnic origin, place of origin, colour, age, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, creed, citizenship, or disability. We strive for a barrier-free recruitment process and as such, encourage applicants to request accommodations at any stage of the hiring process.
Qualified applicants are invited to apply through the Harbourfront Centre Camps Recruitment Portal https://harbourfrontcentre.campbrainstaff.com/ by March 31, 2024. You will be asked to create a profile and will be taken to the application selection page.
Our staff team is one of the things that makes our Camps programs so unique. If you’re looking for new experiences and opportunities for personal and professional growth, this is the place for you! We are dedicated to building a future that better serves our communities—a diverse staff team is essential in achieving this goal. When submitting your application, we encourage applicants to clearly self-identify in your application if you are a member of an equity-seeking group. We genuinely look forward to receiving your application!