Harbourfront Centre is a leader in providing internationally renowned artistic, educational and recreational programming across a beautiful 10-acre campus at the heart of Toronto’s waterfront. For more than 45 years, Harbourfront Centre has celebrated the best in Canadian culture and the rich mosaic of cultures from around the world, presenting thousands of events annually from music festivals to contemporary dance, to craft and design, to visual arts and more. Welcoming visitors year-round, there is something for everyone at Harbourfront Centre!
Currently, exciting seasonal employment opportunities exist in Harbourfront Centre Camps, one of Toronto’s largest, most diverse and creative day camps.
Position Title: Program Facilitator
Department: Recreational Learning
Number of Vacancies: 20-25
Type of Employment: Seasonal, Contract
Duration: May-September 2023 (Part-time training starting in May 2023 / Camps: July 4-September 1, 2023) *dates subject to change
Hours of Work: Monday to Friday, 35-40 hours per week (training on weekends; additional duties starting at 7:30am and going as late as 6pm may be assigned)
Rate of Pay: $18 per hour
Please visit: https://harbourfrontcentre.com/program/camps/ for more information about our Camps.
- Develop programming that meets programming promise in marketing materials;
- Plan and facilitate programming tailored to respective camp;
- Supervise staff of 1-10 Counsellors;
- Conduct administrative duties such as daily attendance, evaluations, incident reports, etc.;
- Communicate with parents/guardians on an as needed basis about camper concerns;
- Take ownership of camper safety during an emergency procedure;
- Provide superior customer service during beginning and end-of-day procedures;
- Other duties as required
- Must be 18 years of age at the start of a program;
- Previous experience working in a camp setting and/or with children and youth;
- Ability to develop, organize and lead camp programming;
- Ability to supervise a staff team (collaborate, resolve conflict, provide feedback/coaching, etc.);
- Ability to remain organized throughout the work day (on time submissions, prioritize urgency of daily tasks, camper attendance, etc.);
- Ability to be responsible (punctual, balance time constraints, prioritize safety of campers/staff, etc.);
- Ability to bring a positive attitude and enthusiasm to each day;
- Enjoy working with children and youth;
- Valid Standard First Aid and CPR-C certification is required;
- A Criminal Background Check (with Vulnerable Sector Screening) is required
- Harbourfront Centre recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks during the current pandemic. Therefore, an offer of employment shall be conditional upon proof of full Covid-19 vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization.
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. Non-Canadian applicants must have a valid employment Visa and proper documentation authorizing their ability to work in Canada for the full duration of the contract.
- Experience with one of the specialized disciplines (D&D, visual arts, performing arts, circus, culinary, etc.); is desirable
- Previous leadership/supervisor experience; is desirable
- Post-secondary education or training as related to the position is an asset
- Standing for prolonged periods of time;
- Some exposure to inclement weather conditions during outdoor and offsite programs;
- Some exposure to rigorous physical activity.
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
How To Apply
Harbourfront Centre’s Camps team is committed to advancing our efforts in equity, diversity and inclusion. We are passionate about learning and supporting participants of all ages and abilities in their growth and development. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply–regardless of race, ancestry, ethnic origin, place of origin, colour, age, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, creed, citizenship, or disability. We strive for a barrier free recruitment process and as such, encourage applicants to request accommodations at any stage of the hiring process.
Qualified applicants are invited to apply through the Harbourfront Centre Camps Recruitment Portal by June , 2023. You will be asked to create a profile and will be taken to the application selection page.
Our staff team is one of the things that makes our Camps programs so unique. If you’re looking for new experiences and opportunities for personal and professional growth, this is the place for you! We are dedicated to building a future that better serves our communities—a diverse staff team is essential in achieving this goal. When submitting your application, we encourage applicants to clearly self-identify in your application if you are a member of an equity-seeking group. We genuinely look forward to receiving your application!