Harbourfront Centre is a leader in providing internationally renowned artistic, educational and recreational programming across a beautiful 10-acre campus at the heart of Toronto’s waterfront. For more than 45 years, Harbourfront Centre has celebrated the best in Canadian culture and the rich mosaic of cultures from around the world, presenting thousands of events annually from music festivals to contemporary dance, to craft and design, to visual arts and more. Welcoming visitors year-round, there is something for everyone at Harbourfront Centre!
Position Title: MARINE CUSTOMER SERVICE (DOCK) STAFF
Department: SAILING & POWERBOATING (HCSP)
Reporting to: DOCK OPERATIONS SUPERVISOR
Hours: Seasonal hours of operation (May, June & Sept.) are 12pm-8pm (weekdays), and 9am-8pm (weekends). In July and August, we are open from 12pm-9pm (weekdays), and 9am-9pm (weekends). Employees will work on a rotating shift basis of either 8.00am-4.00pm, 11am-7pm or 1pm-9pm (this will rotate from week to week), 5 Days on, 2 Days off.
Type of Employment: Seasonal
Summary of Function:
Harbourfront Centre Sailing & Powerboating operates a fleet of sailboats and powerboats used for rentals, memberships, summer camps, corporate events, and Sail Canada courses. Marine Customer Service Crew, or “Dock Staff”, are responsible for outside boat operations, customer service and boat check outs/check in’s. They are required to be front-line customer service representatives to members and the general public. We have full-time position and part-time positions available.
• Ensuring that boats and their operators are fully prepared for departure, so that customers may benefit from a safe and enjoyable boating experience.
• Monitoring the fleet’s condition, and reporting the necessary repairs to keep boats in operation and ready for use.
• Taking steps to protect company assets from loss or damage, including boats, docks, facilities and other equipment.
• Opening and closing procedures, which can include routine checks on boats and engines, and reporting to management on a daily basis.
• Frequent communication with office staff to coordinate boats and customers.
• Cleaning and fueling boats.
• Small Repairs, including basic engine repairs, replacing sails, running rigging (training provided)
• Rental sign-outs, which brief customers on the operation of their boat including pertinent safety and navigational information.
• Positive, timely and considerate response to the requests of members, instructors, and other customers
• Assistance with “retrieval” for customers requiring assistance while on the water (towing training provided)
• Ensuring that docks and facilities are kept clean and tidy
• Maintaining a professional appearance at all times while at work
• As weather is paramount to our operations, constant monitoring, when on shift, is required in compliance with the HCSP Weather Policy. The Dock Staff will communicate with the Dock Operations Supervisor, any changes in weather as a proactive response to the weather conditions throughout the operational season. This is for the health and safety of our staff and customers and also for the prevention of potential damage to club boats and equipment.
SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS
• Basic experience in boating
• Able to multitask, prioritize, and manage time effectively
• Strong communication and customer service skills
• Demonstrates initiative and the ability to solve problems
• Able to follow standard procedures as set out by management
• PCOC required, opportunity for training will be provided
• Basic swimming skills
• The nature of the job requires weekend work.
• Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. Non-Canadian applicants must have a valid employment Visa and proper documentation authorizing their ability to work in Canada for the full duration of the contract.
• Harbourfront Centre recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks during the current pandemic. As such, an offer of employment shall be conditional on proof of full COVID-19 vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization
• Experience operating a wide variety of sail and power boats is desirable
• Knowledge of boat and/or engine maintenance and repair is considered an asset
• Certification in first aid and/or lifesaving is desirable
• Prior completion of a workplace safety training program or safety course is an asset
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
Harborfront is committed to diversity and inclusiveness. We encourage qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than June 24, 2022. Please quote Marine Customer Services (Dock) Staff in the subject line of your application.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. Suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.