Harbourfront Centre is a leader in providing internationally renowned artistic, educational and recreational programming across a beautiful 10-acre campus at the heart of Toronto’s waterfront. For more than 45 years, Harbourfront Centre has celebrated the best in Canadian culture and the rich mosaic of cultures from around the world, presenting thousands of events annually from music festivals to contemporary dance, to craft and design, to visual arts and more. Welcoming visitors year-round, there is something for everyone at Harbourfront Centre!
Currently, exciting seasonal employment opportunities exist in Harbourfront Centre Camps, one of Toronto’s largest, most diverse and creative day camps.
Position Title: Instructor – Canoe/Kayak Camps
Department: Recreational Learning
Number of Vacancies: 12
Type of Employment: Seasonal, Contract
Duration: June-September 2023 (Training starting in June 2023 / Camps: July 4-September 1, 2023) *dates are subject to change
Hours of Work: Monday to Friday, 40 hours per week (training on weekends may be assigned)
Rate of Pay: $17 per hour
Instructors provide a fun and safe environment for campers attending their group on any given week. Instructors will utilize their skills and experience to maintain quality of programming and group dynamics. In the pre-camp season, Instructors partake in leadership training and assist Head Instructors in training Junior Instructors and Instructor-in-Training (IIT) volunteers. During the camp season, Instructors are responsible for the well-being of up to 12 campers, as well as developing leadership skills in Junior Instructors and Instructors-in-Training (IIT). Furthermore, Instructors are responsible for planning and executing their group’s daily activities with the assistance of Junior Instructors and IITs.
- Able to attend pre-camp training and assist Directors in training of Junior Instructors and Instructors-in-Training (IITs).
- Able to maintain adequate paddling skill level and knowledge to allow for quality instruction on and off-water.
- Able to oversee a camper group of up to 12 campers while working alongside the Junior Instructors and IITs.
- Able to plan and facilitate daily canoe/kayak programming.
- Able to plan, facilitate and supervise camp games and activities.
- Able to prepare daily materials and/or equipment.
- Able to provide feedback and guidance to Junior Instructors and IITs.
- Able to assist in preparation of boats prior to start of camp day, cleaning and maintenance and putting away of boats at end of camp day.
- Able to take ownership of staff and camper safety during an emergency procedure.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be at least 17 years of age within the calendar year.
- Canoeing, kayaking and/or paddle boarding experience.
- Ability to develop, organize and lead daily canoe/kayak programming.
- Ability to supervise junior staff (collaborate, resolve conflict, provide feedback/tools, etc.).
- Ability to be responsible (punctual, prioritize safety of campers/other staff, etc.).
- Ability to bring a positive attitude and enthusiasm to each day.
- Must enjoy working with children and youth.
- Ability to provide valid Bronze Cross, Canadian Red Cross Assistant Lifeguard, or NLS prior to the first day of camp.
- Ability to provide Paddle Canada or ORCKA Instructor Certification in Canoeing and/or Kayaking prior to the first day of camp (relevant courses will be offered prior to start of pre-camp training).
- A Criminal Background Check (with Vulnerable Sector Screening) is required (over 18 years of age) or Statutory Declaration (under 18 years of age)
- Valid Standard First Aid and CPR-C certification.
- Harbourfront Centre recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks during the current pandemic. Therefore, an offer of employment shall be conditional upon proof of full Covid-19 vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization.
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. Non-Canadian applicants must have a valid employment Visa and proper documentation authorizing their ability to work in Canada for the full duration of the contract.
- Previous experience working with children and youth (babysitting, tutoring, camp, after-school programs, etc.) is desirable.
- Previous leadership experience (recreational/sports teams, coaching, volunteering, school clubs, etc.) is desirable.
- Exposure to inclement weather conditions during outdoor programs.
- Exposure to rigorous physical activity (canoeing, kayaking, paddle boarding).
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
Harbourfront Centre’s Camps team is committed to advancing our efforts in equity, diversity and inclusion. We are passionate about learning and supporting participants of all ages and abilities in their growth and development. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply–regardless of race, ancestry, ethnic origin, place of origin, colour, age, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, creed, citizenship, or disability. We strive for a barrier free recruitment process and as such, encourage applicants to request accommodations at any stage of the hiring process.
Qualified applicants are invited to apply through the Harbourfront Centre Camps Recruitment Portal by June 17, 2023. You will be asked to create a profile and will be taken to the application selection page.
Our staff team is one of the things that makes our Camps programs so unique. If you’re looking for new experiences and opportunities for personal and professional growth, this is the place for you! We are dedicated to building a future that better serves our communities—a diverse staff team is essential in achieving this goal. When submitting your application, we encourage applicants to clearly self-identify in your application if you are a member of an equity-seeking group. We genuinely look forward to receiving your application!