The Power Plant
Application Deadline: April 1, 2022
The Power Plant Contemporary Art Gallery at Harbourfront Centre is Canada’s leading public gallery devoted exclusively to the art of our time and is recognized as an important centre for contemporary art in North America. Since 1987, The Power Plant has been on a mission to create an open culture and community for people to be face-to-face with thought-provoking contemporary art and ideas. We have a culturally diverse workforce and audience whose lives and communities we seek to enrich through encouraging exploration of self and society. More than a gallery, The Power Plant is a community hub that caters to adults, youth, and children through broad and unique programming. It is a window into a diverse range of ideas and perspectives that inspire unlimited personal discovery. To learn more about us, please visit www.thepowerplant.org.
We are currently seeking the services of skilled and experienced Installation Technicians to assist with museum-quality art handling for the installation and de-installation of exhibitions. Our ideal candidate has a passion for art, experience with all technical aspects of installing multi-disciplinary exhibitions and audio-visual equipment, and excellent communication skills. If this describes you, we would love to hear from you!
Position Title: Installation Technician
Number of Positions: 6
Reporting to: Head of Installations & Facilities and Head of Exhibitions & Publications
Type of Employment: Casual employment (hours of work based around exhibition needs) or independent contractor services
Compensation: $22 to $25 per hour
Summary of Function
The Installation Technician works closely with the Head of Installations & Facilities, Head of Exhibitions & Publication, the Gallery Curators, guest curators and exhibiting artists to plan and implement exhibitions at the gallery. Responsibilities include assisting with all aspects of exhibition construction, installation and de-installation, as well as taking the lead on audio-visual-related installation tasks. Versatility and flexibility are essential qualities required by this position; contemporary art can, and will, present many unusual situations and circumstances for which the technical staff needs to be prepared to employ a more diverse range of abilities to handle the varying and individual needs created by the artworks themselves.
- Move artwork (big/small/heavy/light) and crates, and assist with art packing/unpacking.
- Install artwork in various gallery spaces.
- Assist with the installation and set-up of audio-visual equipment.
- Assist with building walls and other architectural features.
- Assist in construction of display elements and crates; may include working with woodshop equipment, solvents, hand-held and stationary power tools.
- Clean and prepare gallery spaces, climb ladders, paint, assist with lighting and graphics.
- Other functions as assigned.
Skills & Requirements
- A minimum of one year of museum or gallery experience preferred.
- A Degree or Diploma in Fine Arts or Visual Arts is preferred.
- Knowledge of contemporary art practices is an asset.
- Experience installing contemporary art.
- Experience with installation of audio-visual equipment.
- Knowledge of basic wall framing (metal studs), dry-walling, taping, painting, etc.
- Basic proficiency in carpentry and construction.
- Ability to follow direction and work independently and closely with a team.
- Manual dexterity required to operate hand and power tools as well as equipment associated with tasks such as electrical, woodworking, general/minor construction.
- Ability to carry out physical maneuvers which include lifting, carrying, pushing, and pulling heavy weights from time to time.
- Ability to kneel, crawl, climb, balance, stoop, crouch and reach for extended periods of time.
- Ability to work on ladders: up to 12 feet.
- Prior experience working with paint, paint fumes and chemical fumes associated with common industrial supplies. ·
- Previous experience required in light construction for the fabrication of display elements and crates, and a safe working knowledge of woodshop equipment, solvents, and hand-held and stationary power tools.
- Working at Heights and scissor lift certification is considered an asset.
- Experience in condition reporting is a plus.
- Knowledge in lighting is a plus.
- Knowledge of vinyl installation is desirable.
- Knowledge of languages other than English is a plus.
- The Power Plant recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks during the current pandemic. As such, an offer of employment shall be conditional on proof of full COVID-19 vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization.
- This position is based in Toronto. As such, candidates must be legally eligible to work in Canada. Non-Canadian applicants must have a valid employment Visa and proper documentation authorizing their ability to work in Canada on an ongoing basis. The Power Plant regrets that is it unable to sponsor employment Visas.
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
The Power Plant is committed to diversity and inclusiveness. We encourage qualified applicants of all backgrounds to apply.
Acceptable applications or submissions of interest as a contractor must include a current resume and a cover letter indicating how you would meet the essential criteria for this position.
To apply, please submit your application or your interest to provide your services as an independent contractor to firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than April 4, 2022. Please quote Installation Technician (The Power Plant) in the subject line of your application.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. Suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.