Harbourfront Centre is a leader in providing internationally renowned artistic, educational and recreational programming across a beautiful 10-acre campus at the heart of Toronto’s waterfront. For more than 45 years, Harbourfront Centre has celebrated the best in Canadian culture and the rich mosaic of cultures from around the world, presenting thousands of events annually from music festivals to contemporary dance, to craft and design, to visual arts and more. Welcoming visitors year-round, there is something for everyone at Harbourfront Centre!
Currently, exciting seasonal employment opportunities exist in Harbourfront Centre Summer Camps, one of Toronto’s largest, most diverse and creative day camps.
Position Title: Dance Specialist
Department: Recreational Learning
Type of Employment: Seasonal contract, part-time hours
Duration: June 27-September 2, 2021 (*dates subject to change)
Hours of Work: Monday-Friday, 15 hours per week
Rate of Pay: $17 per hour
Working under the direction of Assistant Manager – Recreational Learning, the Dance Specialist is responsible for daily execution of dance workshops in the respective camps: Kinder Explorers; Curiosity; Active Kids; Creative Arts; Dance, Dance, Dance; Movin’ and Groovin’; Pop Star; Musical Explorations; Musical Theatre, etc. The Dance Specialist will set-up, deliver programming and clean-up their scheduled workshop. In addition, the Dance Specialist will collaborate with the staff of respective camps to ensure programming meets our programming promise. Candidates will have experience leading dance programming with children and youth. Candidates should also have the ability to facilitate and lead enriching workshops while promoting health, safety and participation of campers. As the Dance Specialist, a commitment to artistic exploration through personal practice and an ability to convey passion for the arts is encouraged.
- Plan and prepare dance programming in respective camps.
- Order, organize and manage supplies, communicating to Assistant Manager when supplies are needed.
- Teach a variety of dance workshops to a diverse range of campers (ages 4-15).
- Prepare, monitor and reset camp spaces.
- Monitor campers progress, provide assistance and encouragement, and pace workshop to meet campers’ needs and abilities, ensuring inclusion of all campers remains a priority.
- Engage with Program Facilitators, Counsellors and Co-op Students.
- Collaborate with Program Facilitators on programming.
- Other duties as required.
Skills & Requirements
- Relevant experience leading programming/workshops for children and youth.
- Ability to work with campers of all ages and abilities (4-15).
- Ability to work independently and take ownership for all aspects of programming (set-up, clean-up, supply management).
- Ability to motivate and engage campers during their time in the workshop.
- Ability to bring a positive attitude and enthusiasm to each day.
- Ability to remain organized throughout the work day (set-up/clean-up, timing of workshop, required materials, etc.).
- Ability to lead workshops in a variety of dance styles (hip-hop, body percussion, contemporary, etc.).
- A Criminal Background Check (with Vulnerable Sector Screening) is required.
- Harbourfront Centre recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks during the current pandemic. Therefore, an offer of employment shall be conditional upon proof of full Covid-19 vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization.
- Training in education and/or child development (B.Ed, E.C.E, artists in the community or equivalent) is desirable.
- Post-secondary education or training in performing arts (B.F.A., diploma or equivalent recommended) is desirable.
- Standard First Aid and CPR-C is considered an asset.
- Standing for prolonged periods of time while facilitating workshops.
- Some exposure to rigorous physical activity during dance workshops
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
Harbourfront Centre’s Camps team is committed to advancing our efforts in equity, diversity and inclusion. We are passionate about learning and supporting participants of all ages and abilities in their growth and development. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply–regardless of race, ancestry, ethnic origin, place of origin, colour, age, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, creed, citizenship, or disability. We strive for a barrier free recruitment process and as such, encourage applicants to request accommodations at any stage of the hiring process.
Qualified applicants are invited to send a current resume and cover letter to email@example.com by May 31, 2022. Please quote Dance Specialist in the subject line of your application. We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
Our staff team is one of the things that makes our Camps programs so unique. If you’re looking for new experiences and opportunities for personal and professional growth, this is the place for you! We are dedicated to building a future that better serves our communities—a diverse staff team is essential in achieving this goal. When submitting your application, we encourage applicants to clearly self-identify in your cover letter if you are a member of an equity-seeking group. We genuinely look forward to receiving your application!