Harbourfront Centre is a leader in providing internationally renowned artistic, educational and recreational programming across a beautiful 10-acre campus at the heart of Toronto’s waterfront. For more than 45 years, Harbourfront Centre has celebrated the best in Canadian culture and the rich mosaic of cultures from around the world, presenting thousands of events annually from music festivals to contemporary dance, to craft and design, to visual arts and more. Welcoming visitors year-round, there is something for everyone at Harbourfront Centre!
We are currently looking to bring on board a reliable, organized and efficient Supervisor, Custodial to help ensure the overall cleanliness of our site and venues and to support the requirements of our events’ set-up/strike down.
Position Title: Supervisor, Custodial
Department: Site Operations
Reporting To: Manager, Site Operations & Project Management
Direct Reports: Operations Crew
Type of Employment: Full-Time, 35 hours per week
Work Location: Toronto
- As a working Supervisor, assist the custodial Operations team in ensuring the cleanliness of venues and spaces on our 10-acre site, as well as with event set-up/strike down as required, in addition to administrative duties.
- Assist with day-to-day cleaning and preparation for any scheduled events across the site.
- Assist with coordinating staff schedules across the custodial Operations staff.
- Train staff, including new hires, on safe handling of chemicals and cleaning procedures and setup and tear down of event furniture and equipment.
- Design, implement, and enforce department policies and procedures.
- Prepare and distribute daily checklists on a weekly basis and ensure that staff are logging their cleaning tasks.
- Manage inventory and ensure supplies are procured in a timely manner. Maintain and monitor supplies and equipment log sheet, making sure all entries are accurate and all staff are using the log sheets properly.
- Monitor equipment and ensure state of good repair, ensure consumable parts are ordered and service scheduled when needed.
- Uphold and enforce health and safety standards on daily tasks of the custodial Operations Team.
- Respond to radio calls for cleaning spills, supply requests, last-minute requests for furniture and event radio calls on a day-to-day basis and follow up once the request has been fulfilled.
- 3+ years’ experience in a lead or supervisor role in commercial cleaning and/or event space setup is considered ideal.
- Recent WHMIS training is required (1 year or less).
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Aptitude to work in a fast-paced environment and adapt to circumstances.
- Confident decision-making and flexible problem-solving skills.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Working at Heights and First Aid/CPR training is desirable.
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. Non-Canadian applicants must have a valid employment Visa and proper documentation authorizing their ability to work in Canada.
- This role is based in Toronto.
- Harbourfront Centre recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks associated with COVID-19. As such, an offer of employment shall be conditional on proof of full COVID-19 vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization.
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
Harbourfront Centre values and is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in our teams, creative communities, programmes and services. We invite qualified applicants from all backgrounds to apply.
Acceptable applications must include a current resume and a cover letter indicating salary expectations and why you would be the perfect fit for the role.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their candidacy by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than October 31, 2023. Please quote Supervisor, Custodial in the subject line of the application.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. Suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.