Harbourfront Centre is a leader in providing internationally renowned artistic, educational and recreational programming across a beautiful 10-acre campus at the heart of Toronto’s waterfront. For more than 45 years, Harbourfront Centre has celebrated the best in Canadian culture and the rich mosaic of cultures from around the world, presenting thousands of events annually from music festivals to contemporary dance, to craft and design, to visual arts and more. Welcoming visitors year-round, there is something for everyone at Harbourfront Centre!
We are currently looking to bring on board a creative, collaborative and clever Senior UX Designer to support the creation and front-end design for digital applications and communications. Our ideal candidate is a master story-teller, an original and strategic thinker with a strong foundation in visual design practices, and a born collaborator who thinks about the needs of multiple stakeholders and distills complex problems into simple, intuitive designs to facilitate and elevate the user experience. If this describes you, we would love to hear from you!
Postion Title: Senior UX Designer
Reporting To: Director, Marketing & Creative Services
Type of Employment: Full-Time, 35 hours per week
Duties & Responibilities
- UI/UX front end design for new web applications, websites, email campaigns and marketing materials.
- Translate requirements into user flows, wireframes, mock-ups and prototypes that lead to intuitive user experiences.
- Work closely with developers to ensure designs can be built cost effectively.
- Present design ideas to clients, stakeholders, and peers for review, working within an iterative design process.
- Looking for skills in usability as the application should be intuitive for the users.
- Make strategic design and user-experience recommendations as new functionality and features are being developed.
- Develop creative and design concepts from ideation to execution for new programmatic and institutional campaigns as well as corporate brand identity that are strategically grounded in delivering to marketing objectives.
- Design campaign assets and creative components of digital programs, including, but not limited to, web, email, social media, display and other online formats.
Skills & Qualifications
- 6+ years related experience (agency or client-side) with a focus on UX.
- Strong and diverse portfolio of visual design (must submit your portfolio to be considered), design thinking and illustration skills.
- Strong UX & Visual Design skills for web (5+ years)
- Ability to think strategically and come up with creative design ideas to elevate our application designs.
- Extensive knowledge and working experience of Adobe Creative Cloud programs: Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.
- Ability to distill complex problems and workflows down into simple, intuitive designs.
- Strong foundation in visual design practices including knowledge of composition, color theory and typography.
- Proven ability to write, analyze and present findings from usability tests – and then optimize designs.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, with the ability to communicate design rationale and user needs alongside technical constraints.
- Experience collaborating with stakeholders and interpreting feedback to design iteratively.
- Strong proficiency with prototyping tools.
- Stand-out portfolio of previous product design work with write-ups of your design process and problem-solving skills.
- Strong communication skills – ability to communicate ideas clearly and present ideas to senior stakeholders.
- Experience being the sole UI/UX resource on projects.
- Person should be comfortable working in a rapid iteration type of environment with not very much structure.
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. All international applicants must have a valid employment Visa authorizing their ability to work in Canada on a full-time, ongoing basis.
- This role is based in Toronto. Remote work from home is currently in place, however when a return-to-work directive is communicated, the candidate must be able to work on site at our downtown lakeside campus.
- Harbourfront Centre recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks during the current pandemic. As such, an offer of employment shall be conditional on proof of full COVID-19 vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization.
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
At Harbourfront Centre we are committed to diversity and inclusiveness. We encourage qualified applicants from all backgrounds to apply and we welcome applications from individuals who identify as belonging to equity priority groups. Suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.
Acceptable applications must include all the following to help us learn more about you:
- A link to your portfolio or body of work/website
- A current resume
- A cover letter indicating how you meet the essential criteria of the position, as well as your salary expectations.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply by contacting email@example.com by no later than January 30, 2022. Please quote Senior UX Designer in the subject line of your application. We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.