Harbourfront Centre is a leader in providing internationally renowned artistic, educational and recreational programming across a beautiful 10-acre campus at the heart of Toronto’s waterfront. For more than 45 years, Harbourfront Centre has celebrated the best in Canadian culture and the rich mosaic of cultures from around the world, presenting thousands of events annually from music festivals to contemporary dance, to craft and design, to visual arts and more. Welcoming visitors year-round, there is something for everyone at Harbourfront Centre!
We are currently seeking an experienced, collaborative and super organized Senior Production Coordinator, Theatres to coordinate and oversee the planning and execution of production activities for events and sponsorship activations at the Harbourfront Centre. If you are a pro at multi-tasking, are solution-oriented, thrive in the high-pressure environment of live events, and have impeccable interpersonal and communication skills, we would love to hear from you!
Position Title: Senior Production Coordinator, Theatres
Reporting to: Director, Production
Direct reports: IATSE Local 58 Stage Technicians
Type of Employment: Full Time
Summary of Function:
Reporting to the Director, Production, the Senior Production Coordinator oversees the production operation of the Harbourfront Centre Theatre and the Fleck Dance Theatre.
The Senior Production Coordinator, Theatres will analyze and evaluate the need for production technical support for various events and performances; plan, develop, schedule and provide the support required for each event or performance; communicate effectively both orally and in writing; oversee union stagehands and advise production managers/coordinators on technical riders and production estimates, maintain inventory of necessary supplies; assist in budget preparation; establish and maintain effective working relationships with representatives of various groups, vendors, and co-workers. This position plays a key role in protecting the health and safety of all staff, clients and patrons to the Harbourfront Centre Theatre and Fleck Dance Theatre.
- Technical production advance of all live events and programming at Harbourfront Centre Theatre and Fleck Dance Theatre
- Create production schedules and provide production cost estimates
- Adhering and interpreting the IATSE collective agreement for each of the theatres including, hiring, working conditions, scheduling and payroll administration
- Advise Harbourfront Centre Artistic Directors/Associates and Production staff, and visiting production managers, lighting and sound designers, on the technical specifications, costs and usage of technical equipment required for, events and shows, and supervise the implementation of approved technical designs.
- Provide Artistic Directors/Associates with accurate production cost estimates show and event considerations.
- Attend planning, programming, partner and client meetings, as required, to exchange information and ideas
- Participate in the evaluation of festivals, events and shows, making recommendations and implementing procedural changes.
- Participate in regular department meetings and follow through on action items.
Operations and Maintenance of Stage Facilities
- Determine the necessary technical supports, such as lighting, sound, staging, and special needs, necessary for events and performances presented at the facility in advance of production dates.
- Maintain and safeguard the technical assets of the theatre, including supervision of the use of lighting, sound, communications equipment, and the use and maintenance of stage facilities.
- Orient clients and visiting productions to safety, technical characteristics and other areas of facility operations; facilitate the use of the technical facilities by the resident company and others engaged by or renting the facility.
- Monitor the condition of equipment including lighting, sound, and rigging equipment; arrange for the repair and replacement when required.
- Attend technical rehearsals, as required, in order to supervise and assist in the technical aspects of mounting the show.
- Make recommendations regarding facilities, site development, maintenance and equipment inventory/purchases as they relate to production activities.
Project Management and Implementation
- Works with the Director, Production to prioritize the capital asset replacement plan for technical production equipment in the Harbourfront Centre Theatre and Fleck Dance Theatre
- Coordinate capital projects with internal stakeholders and external vendors for successful completion
- Track project budgets, timelines and any other project close out requirements
Staff Oversight and Scheduling
- Direct the activities of subordinate staff including hiring, training, scheduling, supervising, supporting and evaluating and if required, disciplining and terminating.
- Implementing and managing the terms of the IATSE collective agreements.
- Assist with the preparation and control of production budgets; maintain inventory and order specialized supplies.
- Assist the Director, Production in overseeing the Technical department operating budget, monitor expenses, submit annual operating budget proposal, review budgets and follow up on any budget issues and challenges.
- Reconcile cash advances and expense reports as required.
- Obtain competitive quotes from external vendors when required and evaluate quotes for accuracy.
- Complete show and event production settlements in a timely manner for the Planning Department.
- Make recommendations to the senior management team regarding capital purchases
- Ensure all events, staffing, production schedules and other related functions are captured in Harbourfront Centre’s event management systems Artifax.
- Assist the Director, Production, and senior management in the development, implementation and monitoring of operational procedures and guidelines for the Production department.
Skills & Requirements
- Post-secondary education with five to ten years demonstrated experience in technical/production in theatre, dance and music.
- Five + years supervisory experience.
- Experience coordinating and managing the production of live events
- Have sound working knowledge of all elements of production in all areas of the performing arts
- Values and customer service driven
- Strong understanding of the Ontario Ministry of Labour Guidelines for the Performance Industry.
- Strong understanding of WHMIS.
- Experience working with IATSE and interpreting collective agreements.
- Strong passion for the arts and client engagement.
- Computer proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Sharepoint, Teams
- Previous experience with event management and CRM databases an asset.
- Excellent communication and negotiating skills, listening, receiving, clarifying, consolidating, mediating and conveying.
- Collaborative, seeking and celebrating the contribution of others.
- Results oriented and proactive, with the ability to multitask, prioritize and work independently.
- Strong work ethic an positive team attitude
- Current Province of Ontario driver’s license or evidence of equivalent mobility.
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. All international applicants must have a valid employment Visa authorizing their ability to work in Canada on a full-time, ongoing basis. This role is based in Toronto.
- Harbourfront Centre recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks during the current pandemic. As such, an offer of employment shall be conditional on proof of full COVID-19 vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization.
- Knowledge of AutoCAD and Vectorworks considered an asset.
- Experience in the not-for-profit sector
- Knowledge of Canada’s art community
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
Acceptable applications must include a current resume and a cover letter, indicating why you wish to join the team, how you would meet the criteria for this key position, and your salary expectation.
Harbourfront is committed to diversity and inclusiveness. We encourage qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply by contacting email@example.com by no later than January 07th, 2021. Please quote Senior Production Coordinator, Theatres in the subject line of your application.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. Suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.