Harbourfront Centre is a leader in providing internationally renowned artistic, educational and recreational programming across a beautiful 10-acre campus at the heart of Toronto’s waterfront. For more than 45 years, Harbourfront Centre has celebrated the best in Canadian culture and the rich mosaic of cultures from around the world, presenting thousands of events annually from music festivals to contemporary dance, to craft and design, to visual arts and more. Welcoming visitors year-round, there is something for everyone at Harbourfront Centre!
We are currently looking to bring on board a reliable and responsible Security Guard to help monitor and maintain the safety of our premises, properties, and visitors to our campus.
Position Title: Overnight Security Guard
Department: Security Services
Reporting to: Manager, Security
Type of Employment/Hours of Work: Contract- (hours may vary based on need). Must be available to work night shifts (1930 HRS-0730 HRS)
● Provide exceptional customer service and sustain effective relationships with clients and patrons of the Harbourfront Centre.
● Conduct proactive patrols to ensure safety and address policy breaches, and escalate any concerns to the Security Supervisor.
● Attend and investigate security alarms and emergencies in a timely and professional manner
● Access control and CCTV monitoring for the entire facility.
● De-escalate crisis situations, provide support and liaise with emergency personnel including; Police, Fire and Paramedic resources.
● Investigates all disturbances on the property including – but not limited to – trespass, theft, fire/ intruder alarms, missing persons, and determines the necessary response.
● Write clear and detailed reports including incident, emergency, liability and day-to-day reports
● Exercise crowd control and evict trespassers.
● Provide first aid and medical response when required to any person(s).
● Utilize two way radios and computer applications to communicate site activities.
● Handle Lost & Found items and inquires.
● Answer inquiries from the public politely and professionally.
● Completes their personal employee memo book, recording incidents and security
● activities while on shift. As directed, maintains log of security activities for insurance / legal purposes when required.
● Employs use of force techniques and strategies in accordance with training and company policy as required during shift.
● Performs other administrative and building support duties as required.
● Remain calm and effectively perform in emergency situations.
● Able to detect problems and report information to appropriate personnel.
● Strong interpersonal skills, flexibility, and customer service focused.
● Able to handle confidential information with a high amount of discretion.
● Ability to work in a fast-paced and flexible environment while maintaining the utmost professionalism.
● Able to understand and follow specific instructions and procedures.
● Moderate physical activity, standing and walking for long periods of time including in outdoor weather conditions.
● Knowledge of the Trespass to Property Act and Arrest Procedures.
● Proficient in English (verbal and written) communication skills, Proficiency in French is considered an asset.
● Familiarity with the Occupation Health & Safety Act is considered an asset.
● Prior experience in a Security Guard capacity.
● Ontario drivers license with clean abstract.
● Valid emergency and/ or standard first aid/CPR certification.
● Valid certification of provincial standards for Use of Force (in handcuff and baton) desired.
● Strong report writing skills.
● Operational knowledge and working understanding of alarm receivers and servers preferred.
● Job involves working a variety of shifts, must be available to work evenings, nights, weekends, dayshifts, and statutory holidays.
● Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. All international applicants must have a valid employment Visa authorizing their ability to work in Canada on a full-time, ongoing basis. This role is based in Toronto.
● Harbourfront Centre recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks during the current pandemic. As such, an offer of employment shall be conditional on proof of full COVID-19 vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization.
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
Acceptable applications must include a current resume and a cover letter. Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org by August 16, 2023. Please quote “Security Guard” in the subject line of your application.
Harbourfront Centre is committed to building a diverse workforce and strongly encourages qualified applicants from all backgrounds to apply. Suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.