Harbourfront Centre is a leader in providing internationally renowned artistic, educational and recreational programming across a beautiful 10-acre campus at the heart of Toronto’s waterfront. For more than 45 years, Harbourfront Centre has celebrated the best in Canadian culture and the rich mosaic of cultures from around the world, presenting thousands of events annually from music festivals to contemporary dance, to craft and design, to visual arts and more. Welcoming visitors year-round, there is something for everyone at Harbourfront Centre!
We are currently looking to bring on board an organized,and service-oriented Registrar, School Visits to support all administrative processes related to the successful operation of our School Visits program. The ideal candidate will strive to embrace each day with a positive attitude and understand that shifting priorities require flexibility in the way we approach our daily tasks. We are looking for someone who is committed to lifelong learning, has a positive attitude, and is able to remain focused despite competing priorities.
Position Title: Registrar, School Visits
Reporting to: Manager, School Visits
Type of Employment: Full-time, 35 hours per week
The Registrar, School Visits is responsible for entering all registrations, monitoring and recording financial payments, and scheduling all venue visits. In addition to providing exceptional customer service toin our programs through telephone, email, and face-to-face interactions. As part of this role, the candidate will need to be familiar with the Ontario Education system and the process of booking and participating in experiential learning programs (curriculum-based field trips), as well as relevant information from School Board excursion policies in particular. In addition, they will learn all internal processes and strive to improve these systems to improve administrative efficiencies across the Education team.
- Supports the Manager, School Visits, Education Officer, Visual Arts, Education Officer, Urban Studies and Waterfront Explorations in program review and development, advocating for the needs of visiting teachers as identified through the registration process.
- Advocates for the needs of diverse schools, student groups and demographics as identified through the registration process, with a keen awareness of equity, diversity, inclusion and anti-racist practices and approaches.
- Oversees the registration process, including phone and e-mail inquiries, web registrations and distributing completed confirmations for all School Visits programs;
- Responds to phone and e-mail inquiries, including questions regarding availability, cost, timing, subsidy availability and program details in a timely manner. Complete registrations and reports in Artifax, our event management software;
- Works with the School Visits team to ensure venue maximization through daily and weekly schedule meetings.
- Liaises with site services, planning, production and security to ensure optimal venue use within our campus.
- Works with the web communications team on annual review of our online registration portal to reflect program changes and improvements.
- During the Summer months (July and August), support the Manager, Recreational Learning and the Registrar, Recreational Learning in tasks associated with the daily operation of Summer Camps on an as-needed basis.
- During the Summer months (July and August), support the Manager, School Visits in the execution of our summer programs, including teaching responsibilities.
- Coordinates the administrative activities of the School Visits programs including developing and implementing systems and procedures, forms, prioritizing work and organizing work flow.
- Collects deposit fee and processes payments for all School Visits programs.
- Prepares weekly deposits to our Finance team, including payments received in cash, by cheque, credit card or payment advice from various user groups.
- Prepares and submits a biweekly pacing report to the Manager, School Visits, CFO and CPO.
- Prepares a monthly credit card reconciliation for all expenses on the division credit card.
- Supports the Manager , School Visits in all monthly, quarterly and annual reporting and statistical analysis.
- Recommends innovative strategies for revenue generation in all School Visits portfolios.
- Oversees processing of financial forms (e.g. cheque requisitions) and ensures that documentation is complete and accurate. Assigns budget codes.
- Supports co-op students, interns and volunteers as needed.
- Trains the Coordinator, Waterfront Explorations on administrative tasks to support the operation of our seasonal outdoor education program.
- Orients and trains all School Visits employees on administrative systems and procedures, such as Artifax, Basecamp, Microsoft Office, Harbourfront Centre Intranet and other software pertinent to their job function.
- One to three years of administrative experience acquired through work in a similar capacity, preferably within an not-for-profit or education institution.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including an ability to handle potentially difficult situations with diplomacy.
- An affinity for technology and excellent computer proficiency skills, including knowledge of various applications (Microsoft Office Suite).
- In possession of a clear Police Reference Check with Vulnerable Sectors Screening.
- Is Bilingual (English-French) is considered an asset.
- Standard First Aid (CPR-C) is considered an asset.
- Ontario Driver’s License (G Class) with clean driver’s abstract is a plus.
- Interest in acting as a substitute teacher for any School Visits programs, should absent teachers need coverage; completion of a Bachelor of Education is desirable.
- Knowledge of Artifax or similar venue management software is a plus.
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. Non-Canadian applicants must have a valid employment Visa and proper documentation authorizing their ability to work in Canada.
- Harbourfront Cetnre recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks associated with COVID-19. As such, an offer of employment shall be conditional upon proof of full Covid-19 vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization.
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
How To Apply
Harbourfront Centre values and is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in our teams, creative communities, programmes and services. We invite qualified applicants from all backgrounds to apply.
Acceptable applications must include a current resume and a cover letter outlining the qualifications and experience that you would bring to the position, as well as salary expectations.
Qualified applicants can submit their candidacy by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than February 10, 2023. Please quote Registrar, School Visits in the subject line of the application.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. Suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.