Harbourfront Centre is a leader in providing internationally renowned artistic, educational and recreational programming across a beautiful 10-acre campus at the heart of Toronto’s waterfront. For more than 45 years, Harbourfront Centre has celebrated the best in Canadian culture and the rich mosaic of cultures from around the world, presenting thousands of events annually from music festivals to contemporary dance, to craft and design, to visual arts and more. Welcoming visitors year-round, there is something for everyone at Harbourfront Centre!
Harbourfront Centre is currently seeking a reliable and responsible individual to join our Marine team as the Marina Coordinator/Dockmaster to help with the daily on-site operation of the marina and Spadina pier area.
Position Title: Marina Coordinator/Dockmaster
Department: Marine Operations
Reporting to: Manager, Marine Operations
Direct reports: Seasonal Dock Attendants, Seasonal Marina Office Assistant
Type of Employment: Part time, rotating shifts (9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m or 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. from Wednesday to Sunday/ Holiday Mondays. Must work weekend and holidays.
- Keep the Director of Commercial Operations and the Manager of Marine Operations informed of important activities and on-site issues.
- Responsible for supervising seasonal dock attendants and office staff, assisting with the preparations for summer staff orientation and training, and making recommendations for hiring or terminating staff.
- Supports revenue collection from seasonal, monthly, and visiting customers, as well as from some retail sales and audio wand rentals at the Toronto Music Garden.
- Upon submission of an online slip application, determines the number of available summer and winter slips. Assigns slips to appropriate customers and confirms contract details for Harbor Assist software slip applications. Monitors the Harbor Assist waiting list and keeps customers informed. Screens and briefs prospective new customers to ensure that the marina is at capacity in the winter and summer.
- Ensure dock walk checks are performed daily to determine how many slips are occupied and how many are open. These records are combined with staff and visitor daily log entries and reservation submissions to accurately monitor customer locations and assign slips efficiently.
- Assists customers in emergency situations by monitoring the weather and notifying them of deteriorating conditions. Monitors customers’ boats regularly to minimize damage.
- Supports marine events. This may involve signage installation, vessel slip arrangements, relocation information distribution, and other programming related details. Various events may be held within the Marina or in other parts of the Western Zone, including regattas, rendezvous, boat shows, and exhibitions. These include visiting ships or visiting yachts from the Redpath Festival at Spadina Slip or HTO Park West.
- Maintains a list of marina and marine related information for the public about passenger vessels, marina dockage, water taxis, and clubs. Provides marina and other related information to customers via e-mail.
- Provides support for the visitor reservation system using Harbor Assist software with the marina office staff, handling inquiries, processing of electronic applications, sending contracts, checking in and checking out procedures, and general visitor and tourism support.
- Maintenance needs for exterior marina buildings, interior marina buildings and equipment are reported to property, grounds and marine through a work order system. Complete repairs if possible and follow-up with other department staff to complete repairs using the work order system.
- Assists with fulfilling the approved needs of location managers and directors for movie, television or other on location shoots or film or photography events. Contributes to the success of the shoots by being on site to address any issues that arise.
- Assist with the training and testing of all marina staff for any required licenses or certificates such as the Marine VHF operator’s certificate.
- Previous supervisory work experience in a marina or yacht club environment.
- Must possess the following personal attributes: friendly, positive attitude and outgoing.
- Extensive knowledge of the recreational boating industry.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Must be organized, neat, clean and professional.
- Ability to swim for safety and personal reasons.
- Holds a valid Ports Toronto Power Vessel Operators Permit and or a Pleasure Craft Operator Card and an Industry Canada Marine Radio Telephone Operator Certificate. Other related certificates and training are beneficial.
- Extensive expertise in boat handling . (May have lived on a boat is a plus.)
- First aid/ CPR, water safety and marine emergency response training an asset.
- Cash handling, Square POS system and credit card processing experience an asset.
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. Non-Canadian applicants must have a valid employment Visa and proper documentation authorizing their ability to work in Canada
- Harbourfront Centre recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks during the current pandemic. As such, an offer of employment shall be conditional on proof of full COVID-19 vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization.
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
Harbourfront Centre values and is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in our teams, creative communities, programmes and services. We invite qualified applicants from all backgrounds to apply. Acceptable applications must include a current resume and a cover letter indicating why you wish to join the team, how you would meet the criteria of what we are seeking, and your salary expectation.
Qualified applicants can submit their candidacy by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than February 3rd, 2023. Please quote Marina Coordinator/Dockmaster in the subject line of the application.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. Suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.