Harbourfront Centre is a leader in providing internationally renowned artistic, educational and recreational programming across a beautiful 10-acre campus at the heart of Toronto’s waterfront. For more than 45 years, Harbourfront Centre has celebrated the best in Canadian culture and the rich mosaic of cultures from around the world, presenting thousands of events annually from music festivals to contemporary dance, to craft and design, to visual arts and more. Welcoming visitors year-round, there is something for everyone at Harbourfront Centre!
Currently, exciting employment opportunities exist in Harbourfront Centre for a full time Manager, Hospitality. Reporting to the Director of Visitor Experience, the Manager, Hospitality manages and directs all activities related to Food and Beverage Service, and the delivery of exemplary customer service befitting Harbourfront Centre at all venues and events.
Position Title: Manager, Hospitality
Department: Visitor Experience
Reporting to: Director, Visitor Experience
Type of Employment: Full Time
Direct Reports: Hospitality Supervisors, Hospitality Coordinators, Bartenders
The Manager, Hospitality will lead all hospitality requirements (food and beverage services) for the organization campus wide including in all Harbourfront Centre theatres and venues. They will work with Harbourfront Centre’s production team and external rental clients to obtain information on all aspects of each event as it relates to hospitality services. The Manager, Hospitality will oversee the recruitment, orientation, training, scheduling, and evaluation of all Food and Beverage staff as well as oversee the coordination, catering, furniture and equipment requirements of all Hospitality (F&B) events as well as ensuring the overall readiness and cleanliness of venues and related food and beverage services, while maintaining strict inventory controls, and adequate staffing levels.
As a team leader, the Manager, Hospitality will develop and mentor Supervisors, with a focus on team building, and the development and execution of a high customer service standard, befitting Harbourfront Centre.
• Collaborate in the development and execution of a high-level customer service program with the Director of Visitor Experience
• Ensure that front line staff have the skills, tools, and resources necessary to deliver excellent customer service to guests, audiences, and clients for every event at Harbourfront Centre
• Manage the recruitment, hiring, onboarding, and training of Front-Line staff and Supervisors
• Ensure staff schedules are prepared for all venues, ensuring that all hours and shifts conform to the Employment Standards Act
• Coordinate various personnel functions such as collecting, verifying staff time sheets and submitting payroll providing Planning team with accurate staff schedules and estimates
• Participate in the evaluation of festivals, events, and shows, making recommendations for continuous improvement and implementing changes as needed
• Report needed repairs to the building, lobbies, bars, and all equipment while also ensuring appropriate inventory levels of product in venues and shared kitchen spaces
• Development of creative and innovative hospitality solutions and coordination of food and beverage for artist hospitality
• Ensure bar operations are providing and maintaining a consistent service in conjunction with our food and beverage partner Boxcar Social
• Maintain overall readiness, cleanliness, and maintenance of venues, inventory locations, and shared kitchen spaces
• Build and develop a dynamic and multi-layered team to deliver a high-level customer service program to Harbourfront Centre’s guests, clients, and partners
• Coach and mentor the Supervisors in the development and execution of the high-level customer service program and team building
• Contact arts companies, cultural organizations, rental clients and Harbourfront Centre departments to provide staff with information on all aspects of each show or event
• Attend planning, programming, and client meetings to exchange information and ideas
• Maintain and build relationships with service and equipment suppliers, and vendors
• Be a subject matter expert in AGCO controls and regulations ensuring staff and other departments adhere to AGCO rules
• Financial and Contract Management and provide reconciliations of bar sales revenues
• Work with stakeholders to ensure that hospitality is delivered within expected budgets and reconcile petty cash and expense reports as required
• Complete show and event settlements in a timely manner while working with Finance to ensure all charge backs and invoices are processed with our food and beverage partner Boxcar Social
• Oversee all servicing of food and beverage sponsorship contracts, onsite operations, and compliance including annual allocation of donated product
• Make recommendations to Director on capital budgets, expenditure and provide recommendations to Director, production and senior management on bar operations, maintenance, and improvements
• Be the primary point of contact in F&B planning for internal departments & partner organizations including, but not limited to; The Power Plant, Harbourfront Sailing and Power Boating Club, Toronto International Festival of Authors
• Lead Harbourfront Centre’s relationship with our on-site food and beverage partner Boxcar Social; Coordinating regular meetings and taking ownership of Harbourfront Centre’s role in assisting Boxcar Social achieve success in its initiatives and goals
• Be the primary point of contact for Harbourfront Centre in its relationship with the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO).
• Ensure all events, staffing, schedules, and other related functions are captured in Harbourfront Centre’s event management systems Artifax.
• Coordinate meetings with Site Services and Production for all major events, and circulate updated communications
• Lead in the management of point-of-sale systems for Harbourfront Centre events
Skills & Requirements:
• Five + years supervisory/management experience within cultural or hospitality sector
• Experience managing business relationships with external partners and third-party providers, and negotiating and structuring creative solutions
• Highly effective communication skills with individuals at all levels of the organization, including the ability to build and maintain relationships with arts companies, cultural partners, and rental clients; fostering open and honest relationships and communication, respecting confidentiality
• Expert level client service delivery, excellent organizational and communication skills
• Strong customer service skills in answering patron’s questions, listening to compliments and concerns, and making audience members feel welcome.
• Proactive, engaging, and collaborative individual who will energize Harbourfront Centre’s Hospitality team and offerings
• Strong understanding of inventory controls and Smart Serve Certified
• Strong understanding of the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO)
• Computer proficiency in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and web-based applications
• The ability to work irregular hours including evenings and weekends to deliver service as required
• Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. All international applicants must have a valid employment Visa authorizing their ability to work in Canada on a full-time, ongoing basis. This role is based in Toronto.
• Harbourfront Centre recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks during the current pandemic. As such, an offer of employment shall be conditional on proof of full COVID-19 vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization.
• Previous experience with event management and CRM databases an asset (Artifax preferred)
• Experience working with ticketing systems is an asset (Tessitura preferred)
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
Harbourfront Centre is committed to diversity and inclusiveness. We encourage qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply by contacting email@example.com by no later than June 24, 2022. Please quote Manager, Hospitality in the subject line of your application.
Acceptable applications must include a current resume and a cover letter indicating why you wish to join the team, how you would meet the requirements of the role, and your salary expectation.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. Suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.