Harbourfront Centre is a leader in providing internationally renowned artistic, educational and recreational programming across a beautiful 10-acre campus at the heart of Toronto’s waterfront. For more than 45 years, Harbourfront Centre has celebrated the best in Canadian culture and the rich mosaic of cultures from around the world, presenting thousands of events annually from music festivals to contemporary dance, to craft and design, to visual arts and more. Welcoming visitors year-round, there is something for everyone at Harbourfront Centre!
Harbourfront Centre Sailing & Powerboating (HCSP) is seeking Junior Sail Camp Insturctor- CanSail Porgram to join our 2022 Junior Sail Camp team. HCSP has seen over 23 years of successful sailing instruction, with up to 900 junior sailors developing their sailing skills through our programs each season. We are a dedicated and well-established Club and Sailing & Powerboating School, promoting safe boating for all. Conveniently located in downtown Toronto, immediately south of the Rogers Centre and CN Tower, our clubhouse has access to over 60 sail and power craft, ranging from 7′ to 35′ in length, including 27 Dinghies ranging from 420s to our Hobies, Picos and RS Zests and RS Fevas.
Position Title: JUNIOR SAIL CAMP INSTRUCTOR – CANSAIL PROGRAMS
Department: SAILING AND POWERBOATING
Reporting to: HCSP HEAD JUNIOR SAIL CAMP INSTRUCTOR
Hours: This position is seasonal throughout the summer months of July and August. A working week will consist of 40 hrs. Per week Monday – Friday (excluding holidays) from 8:00am – 4:00pm. Training will commence during the last week in June and work will continue for a period of 8-9 weeks throughout the summer. The position does require occasional additional time outside of regular working hours – this will be informed by the decisions of the Head Instructor.
Type of Employment: Seasonal
Summary of Function:
The CANSail Instructor positions primarily oversee the operation of CANSail levels for an 8-9 week period over the summer; this includes facilitating sailing programming for youth ages 9-15. We are looking for responsible, experienced, and motivated individuals who can demonstrate energy, enthusiasm, and the ability to relate to children, young people and adults. We are looking for team players who are able to interchange with the various Junior Sail programs that we offer, and act as role model for our Junior Sailors, creating a positive learning experience and nurturing environment.
• Oversee the daily facilitation of CANSail programming
• Manage and support a group of 8 (x4 sessions) sailing students for a period of 8 weeks in the summer
• Provide feedback to students around their performance and areas for improvement
• Evaluate and award CANSail levels to CANSail students
• Responsible for the safety of all children under the care of HCSP Junior Sail Camps
• Ensuring campers safety both on and off water, including making sure the camp environment is conducive to learning sailing for all campers in your sailing group
• Managing interpersonal conflict within your camper group to ensure smooth operation of sailing instruction
• Specifically responsible for the instruction and care of the 8-16 children in your level both on and off the water
• Attend all end of day staff meetings
• Ensure the proper upkeep of all equipment used for the CANSail programs and report any damages to the Head Instructor in a timely manner
• As weather is paramount to our operations, constant monitoring, when on shift, is required in compliance with the HCSP Weather Policy (training is provided). The instructors will communicate with the Head Junior Sail Instructor, any changes in weather as a proactive response to the weather conditions throughout the operational season. This is for the health and safety of our campers and staff, and also for the prevention of potential damage to club boats and equipment.
Skills & Requirements
• Relevant sailing experience (CANSail 5 or above and
• CANSail Certified/Trained Instructor with Sail Canada (Dues Paid)
o Hold a teaching qualification in the applicable CANSail Instructor level (or are in process for completion before July 1)
• Available to work from June 22 to August 26 (or Sept 2) 2022
• To be at least 16 years old, as of June 29, 2022
• Current First Aid, CPR certification & Boat Safety certification
• Strong sail programming, leadership, and organisational skills
• Enjoy working with children and youth, and previous experience working in a camp setting is an asset Childcare experience
• Police Check and Vulnerable Sector Screening if 18+ (we can assist with this)
• Hold a valid Toronto Harbour Licence, VHF-DSC License, and a Pleasure Craft Operators Card (we can assist with these)
• Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. Non-Canadian applicants must have a valid employment Visa and proper documentation authorizing their ability to work in Canada for the full duration of the contract.
• Harbourfront Centre recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks during the current pandemic. As such, an offer of employment shall be conditional on proof of full COVID-19 vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization
• Keelboat, racing and regatta experience are assets
• Experience operating boat in Toronto Harbour an asset
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
Harborfront is committed to diversity and inclusiveness. We encourage qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply by contacting email@example.com by no later than June 15, 2022. Please quote Junior Sail Camp Insturctor- CanSail Porgram in the subject line of your application.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. Suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.