Harbourfront Centre is a leader in providing internationally renowned artistic, educational and recreational programming across a beautiful 10-acre campus at the heart of Toronto’s waterfront. For more than 45 years, Harbourfront Centre has celebrated the best in Canadian culture and the rich mosaic of cultures from around the world, presenting thousands of events annually from music festivals to contemporary dance, to craft and design, to visual arts and more. Welcoming visitors year-round, there is something for everyone at Harbourfront Centre!
We are currently seeking reliable and responsible individuals to join our Grounds Crew. The Grounds Crew is part of the Site Services team and plays a key role in the organization for all site-related activities. The Grounds Crew will be responsible for carrying out all site-related programs, including landscaping, waste management, repairs and maintenance, snow clearing, and event setups / strikes.
Position Title: Grounds Crew
Contract Type: Seasonal (October 18th, 2021 – April 1st, 2022)
Number of Positions: 3
Department: Site Services
Reporting to: Property Shift Supervisor
Hours of Work: Thirty-five hours per week. Must be available to work day shifts (07:00 am – 3:00 pm) and/or evening/night shifts (3:00pm – 11:00 pm) and/or split shifts (12:00pm – 10:00pm).
Rate of Pay: $15.50 per hour
- Responsible for ensuring the site is maintained and free from hazards
- Responsible for maintaining the site, keeping it free of litter and providing regular garbage removal from containers and dump sites
- Responsible for all aspects of snow clearing/ice control including but not limited to shoveling, blowing, plowing and salting
- Operates all grounds vehicles and equipment and ensures that all are in adequate repair and safe to operate
- Performs inspections of equipment and/or facilities and maintains required logs as assigned. This may include: Snow/ice logs, vehicle logs, maintenance logs etc.
- Performs the setup and strike of events on campus as required
- Performs landscaping duties including but not limited to the cutting of lawns, removal of weeds and upkeep of planters
- Responsible for maintenance and installation of all tents on site
- Responsible for general maintenance of equipment and/or facilities as assigned. This may include but is not limited to: cleaning, painting, minor plumbing, minor repairs and graffiti removal
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level
Skills & Requirements
- Full vaccination against COVID-19 required
- Full “G” class Ontario driver’s license or equivalent with clean driver’s abstract required
- Valid WHMIS training required
- Valid Working at Heights training required
- Valid Worker Health and Safety Awareness Training required
- Ability to operate light vehicles such as golf carts and UTV’s
- Ability to operate medium-duty trucks
- Ability to operate small and large power tools
- Ability to operate a variety of gas-powered tools
- Valid Forklift Certificate considered an asset
- Valid Aerial Lift Certificates considered an asset
- Knowledge of landscaping practices considered an asset
- Knowledge of maintenance and cleaning practices considered an asset
- Experience with equipment repairs and preventative maintenance considered an asset
- Familiarity with the Occupation Health & Safety Act is considered an asset
- Excellent interpersonal, analytical, communication and problem-solving skills
- Superior Customer service skills
Workplace Health and Safety
- All staff are required to take reasonable care of their own health and safety and that of other personnel (including volunteers and interns) who may be affected by their conduct
- Operates and handles all equipment with the greatest of care to ensure personal safety as well as the safety of other staff, the public and the equipment
- Performs duties in a safe manner and abides by the Occupational Health & Safety Act and all applicable regulations as well as all departmental policies and procedures.
- Participates in Health & Safety training on a regular basis as required by their Supervisor.
- Reports all hazards and injuries immediately to their Supervisor.
- All staff are required to support a workplace free of intimidation, discrimination, harassment, and violence. They are expected to abide by the Workplace Discrimination, Harassment and Violence policy and procedure and will participate in training as required.
- Job involves standing, walking, and/or the operation of equipment for extended periods of time
- Job involves lifting, upwards of 100lbs
- Job involves weekend shifts, evening shifts, irregular hours and the ability to work statutory holidays
- Job involves constant interaction with staff and public
- Job involves multiple deadlines, priorities, and simultaneous demands
- Job involves alertness, attention to detail, and visual perception skills while on duty
- Working environment includes approximately 80% of shift outside in varying weather conditions
- May contain some hazardous and potentially dangerous situations
- May contain periods of time working in isolated areas
- Job involves working in full uniform
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
Acceptable applications must include a current resume and a cover letter, indicating why you wish to join the team, how you would meet the criteria for this key position, and your salary expectation.
Harbourfront is committed to diversity and inclusiveness. We encourage qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than December 31, 2021. Please quote Grounds Crew in the subject line of your application.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. Suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.