Application Deadline: May 5, 2023
Harbourfront Centre is a leader in providing internationally renowned artistic, educational and recreational programming across a beautiful 10-acre campus at the heart of Toronto’s waterfront. For more than 45 years, Harbourfront Centre has celebrated the best in Canadian culture and the rich mosaic of cultures from around the world, presenting thousands of events annually from music festivals to contemporary dance, to craft and design, to visual arts and more. Welcoming visitors year-round, there is something for everyone at Harbourfront Centre!
We are currently seeking reliable and responsible individuals to join our Grounds Crew. The Grounds Crew is part of the Site Services team and plays a key role in the organization for all site-related activities. The Grounds Crew will be responsible for carrying out all site-related programs, including landscaping, waste management, repairs and maintenance, and event setups / strikes.
Position Title: Grounds Crew
Department: Site Services
Reporting to: Site Services Supervisor
Number of Positions: 4
Type of Employment: Seasonal
Hours of Work: Thirty-five hours per week. Must be available to work day shifts (07:00 am – 3:00 pm) and/or evening/night shifts (3:00pm – 12:00 am) and/or afternoon shifts (12:00pm – 8:00pm).
• Responsible for ensuring the site is maintained and free from hazards
• Responsible for maintaining the site, keeping it free of litter and providing regular garbage removal from containers and dump sites
• Responsible for all aspects of snow clearing/ice control including but not limited to shoveling, blowing, plowing and salting
• Operates all grounds vehicles and equipment and ensures that all are in adequate repair and safe to operate
• Performs inspections of equipment and/or facilities and maintains required logs as assigned. This may include: Snow/ice logs, vehicle logs, maintenance logs etc.
• Performs the setup and strike of events on campus as required
• Performs landscaping duties including but not limited to the cutting of lawns, removal of weeds and upkeep of planters
• Responsible for maintenance and installation of all tents on site
• Responsible for general maintenance of equipment and/or facilities as assigned. This may include but is not limited to: cleaning, painting, minor plumbing, minor carpentry, minor repairs and graffiti removal
• Performs other duties of a similar nature or level
- Valid WHMIS training required (or ability to obtain)
- Valid Worker Health and Safety Awareness Training required (or ability to obtain)
- Ability to operate small and large power tools
- Ability to operate a variety of gas-powered tools
- Class G2 Ontario driver’s license or higher considered an asset
- Ability to operate light vehicles such as UTV’s considered an asset
- Ability to operate medium-duty trucks considered an asset
- Valid Working at Heights training considered an asset
- Knowledge of landscaping practices considered an asset
- Knowledge of maintenance and cleaning practices considered an asset
- Experience with equipment repairs and preventative maintenance considered an asset
- Familiarity with the Occupational Health & Safety Act is considered an asset
- Excellent interpersonal, analytical, communication and problem-solving skills
- Superior Customer service skills
- Able to lift upwards of 100lbs
- Willing to work weekend shifts, evening shifts, irregular hours and the ability to work statutory holidays
- Harbourfront Centre recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks during the current pandemic. As such, an offer of employment shall be conditional on proof of full COVID-19 vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
Harbourfront Centre values and is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in our teams, creative communities, programmes and services. We invite qualified applicants from all backgrounds to apply.
Acceptable applications must include a current resume and a cover letter. Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply by contacting email@example.com by no later than May 5, 2023. Please quote Grounds Crew in the subject line of your application.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. Suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.