The Power Plant Contemporary Art Gallery at Harbourfront Centre is Canada’s leading public gallery devoted exclusively to the art of our time and is recognized as an important centre for contemporary art in North America. Since 1987, The Power Plant has been on a mission to create an open culture and community for people to be face-to-face with thought-provoking contemporary art and ideas. We have a culturally diverse workforce and audience whose lives and communities we seek to enrich through encouraging exploration of self and society. More than a gallery, The Power Plant is a community hub that caters to adults, youth, and children through broad and unique programming. It is a window into a diverse range of ideas and perspectives that inspire unlimited personal discovery. To learn more about us, please visit www.thepowerplant.org.
We are currently looking to bring on board a savvy and experienced Finance Manager whose strong analytical, time management and organizational skills are coupled with excellent communication and interpersonal abilities.
Position Title: Finance Manager
Reporting To: Director & Artistic Director, The Power Plant
Direct Reports: Accounting Clerk
Type of Employment: Full-time, 35 hours per week
Summary of Function
The Finance Manager is responsible for the management and delivery of key financial services, budgeting and reporting at the gallery. This role will provide primary support in the financial preparation, the planning, and the development of the annual budget along with associated budget tracking and continuous forecasting, and will ensure that the gallery’s Director and the Board have clear, accurate and timely information on the operating and financial performance of The Power Plant. The Finance Manager also works with members of the Development team, providing support, counsel and major assistance with grant applications and interim and final grant reports. This role requires the incumbent to be comfortable collaborating and dealing with all levels of management in a professional, efficient, and courteous manner.
Responsibilities include delivery of key financial support services — bank deposits, cheque requisitions, wire transfers, payables and receivables, financial reporting, and board support. In concert with the Director, this position will also produce and deliver monthly financial statements, as well as support budget development for the institution in conjunction with all departments’ ongoing projects. This role will liaise and be the main contact for Harbourfront Centre staff in Finance department and Administration, collaborating with Harbourfront Centre’s Finance team to support and ensure compliance with integrated key financial processes, reporting and audits. Additionally, the Finance Manager will attend and provide staff support for the Finance and Audit Committee of the Board of The Power Plant
- Prepare and post deposits in Tessitura.
- Prepare cheque and cash requisitions, wire transfer requisitions, expense reports, credit card reconciliations, petty cash reconciliation.
- Review accounts payable and communicate any coding issues with each department.
- Review and track accounts receivable.
- Budget tracking.
- Review, edit and post monthly statements.
- Manage general accounting responsibilities to contribute to the overall workflow of the departments.
- Prepare deferred revenue tracking, accounts receivable and other balance sheet items and submit to HC Finance Department.
- Provide support to Board Finance Committee (reporting, scheduling meetings).
- Budget preparation for all departments together with each respective manager.
- Preparation of audit and corporate return requirements.
- Update and maintain CADAC website financial information
- Prepare statistical and other financial reports as requested.
- Perform all Tessitura financial functions, including creation of new funds/GL codes, and campaigns, performing postings, payment processing, tax receipting, refunds and adjusting entries.
- Schedule and pull reports for various functions.
- Perform year end maintenance.
- Work on special projects as needed.
- Assist the Director to ensure Administration budgets are well managed.
- Assist the Executive Associate and Administrative Officer in support of a series of administrative tasks and projects.
- Contribute to budget development within grants and sponsorship proposals in collaboration with the different members of TPP staff.
- Provide support to Development Department at public events (Power Ball, Openings, etc.) when needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance Accounting or Business.
- A minimum of 5 years’ demonstrated experience in a progressive Financial Management role, including experience in an FP&A capacity.
- Mastery of the completer accounting cycle.
- Strong knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Strong analytical skills with demonstrated experience in data management, mining & modeling.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel; Financial Modeling, V Lookups, and Pivot tables.
- Ability to translate strategic insights, initiatives, and projects into a financial forecast.
- Advanced experience with Microsoft Office suite of products – Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Strong organization, detail-oriented and time management skills.
- Demonstrated initiative and sound professional judgment and integrity.
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills to exchange information with management regarding financial issues and ability to present accurate information to senior leaders.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with strong quantitative analysis skills and the demonstrated ability to convey financial, technical accounting and budgeting issues in a clear and concise manner.
- CGA designation is considered an asset.
- Experience working in a not-for-profit industry environment is preferred.
- Experience working within public grant reporting environment is preferred.
- Knowledge of CADAC (Canadian Arts Data / Données sur les arts au Canada) is considered valuable.
- Prior experience communicating and working with Board of Directors within the non-for-profit sector is ideal.
- Familiarity or working knowledge of Tessitura software or other fundraising and donor management software is an asset.
- Passion for The Power Plant’s mandate, vision and mission and interest in visual arts or contemporary art is desirable.
- Creativity, solid judgement, critical thinking, and proven problem-solving skills.
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. Non-Canadian applicants must have a valid employment Visa and proper documentation authorizing their ability to work in Canada.
- This role is based in Toronto. The candidate must be able to work on site at our waterfront gallery, however a hybrid-work model could be considered.
- The Power Plant recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks during the current pandemic. As such, an offer of employment shall be conditional on proof of full COVID-19 vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization.
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
The Power Plant is committed to diversity and inclusiveness. We encourage qualified applicants of all backgrounds to apply. Acceptable applications must include a current resume and a cover letter addressed to Gaëtane Verna, Director of The Power Plant, indicating why you wish to join the team, how you would meet the essential criteria for this key position and your salary expectation.
To apply, please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than July 8, 2022. Please quote Finance Manager (The Power Plant) in the subject line of your application.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. Suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.