Harbourfront Centre is a leader in providing internationally renowned artistic, educational and recreational programming across a beautiful 10-acre campus at the heart of Toronto’s waterfront. For more than 45 years, Harbourfront Centre has celebrated the best in Canadian culture and the rich mosaic of cultures from around the world, presenting thousands of events annually from music festivals to contemporary dance, to craft and design, to visual arts and more. Welcoming visitors year-round, there is something for everyone at Harbourfront Centre!
Harbourfront Centre is currently seeking a dynamic, organized, and detail-oriented Emergency Management Security Intern who can support all emergency management functions during events and festivals.
Position Title: Emergency Management Security Intern
Department: Safety & Security
Reporting to: Director, Safety and Security
Type of Employment: Seasonal (35-40 hours per week, some weeknight and weekend work will be required for event support)
Hourly Wage: $20.00 per hour
Location: Toronto, ON
Summary of Function:
The Management Security Intern duties will include participating in event briefings, monitoring weather conditions and updating stakeholders, completing site inspections, providing shelter and evacuation support during events, and ensuring that the emergency management program is followed. Additionally, some administrative work will be completed to support the Director, Safety and Security.
- Participate in event briefings.
- Monitor weather and alert appropriate parties in case of inclement weather.
- Complete site inspections before, during and after events and document any safety concerns or corrective actions.
- Support seek shelter and evacuation requirements during events and festivals.
- Assists in ensuring the emergency management program is adhered to by all internal and external event stakeholders.
- Complete weather decision tables for events and festivals and circulate information.
- Engages with the public by responding to inquiries, disseminating information about emergency management protocols during events and festivals.
- Attend briefings and document any action items.
- Complete inspections and document and action items.
- Document any emergency related information during the event and/or festival.
- Minimum education requirement, High school diploma or equivalent.
- Must have good interpersonal, communication skills, and a friendly outgoing personality to deal with the public, co-workers, and outside agencies.
- Must be comfortable providing directive and being politely assertive as needed, to ensure adherence to safety measures and to manage possible situations of conflict that may arise.
- Must have good judgment to assess when escalation assistance might be needed from other departments.
- Involves a frequently changing schedule
- An understanding of Harbourfront Centre and its offerings, and a familiarity with our 10-acre campus and the central waterfront periphery is considered an asset.
- Fluency or ability to communicate in one or more languages outside of English is considered an asset.
- Knowledge of professional, technical and employment standards is a plus.
- Above average computer literacy is desirable.
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. Non-Canadian applicants must have a valid employment Visa and proper documentation authorizing their ability to work in Canada for the full duration of the contract.
- Harbourfront Centre recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks during the current pandemic. As such, an offer of employment shall be conditional on proof of full COVID-19 vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization.
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
Harbourfront is committed to diversity and inclusiveness. We encourage qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than May 17, 2023. Please quote Emergency Management Security Intern in the subject line of your application.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. Suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.