Harbourfront Centre is a leader in providing internationally renowned artistic, educational and recreational programming across a beautiful 10-acre campus at the heart of Toronto’s waterfront. For more than 45 years, Harbourfront Centre has celebrated the best in Canadian culture and the rich mosaic of cultures from around the world, presenting thousands of events annually from music festivals to contemporary dance, to craft and design, to visual arts and more. Welcoming visitors year-round, there is something for everyone at Harbourfront Centre!
We are currently looking to bring on board a creative, imaginative and dynamic Digital Designer to create, manage and produce digital design solutions for a variety of uses: websites, product graphics, email templates, social media graphics, brand campaigns, and photography. Our ideal candidate is a visual master storyteller who can express our institutional narrative through compelling design that inspires and influences millions of arts and culture aficionados, visitors and supporters of our non-profit.
Beyond your proficiency in brand identity, design systems, love of typography, and an intuition for user experience, you have the technical skills to create content meant to be viewed on a screen or digital interface. Finally, to be good, you need to be great at managing your creative process. We are a fast-paced, collaborative, and multidisciplinary team that is constantly communicating our message, programs and events across all media and platforms. If this sounds like the playground you want to play in, we want to hear from you!
Position Title: Digital Designer
Department: Marketing & Creative Services
Reporting To: Art Director (in the interim, to the Director, Marketing & Creative Services)
Type of Employment: Full-time, 35 hours a week
Work Location: Toronto
What you will be doing:
- Design, produce, and manage digital assets for multimedia and graphics projects, including website, digital advertising, emails templates, social media, and interactive displays.
- Develop creative and design concepts from ideation to execution for new programmatic and institutional campaigns as well as corporate brand identity that are strategically grounded in delivering to marketing objectives.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to deliver designs that are creative, useful, and align with technical and brand standards.
- Use the latest software and applications to define requirements, iterate on design solutions, and contribute expertise for various digital products.
- Balance and manage workload according to established department priorities.
What you bring to the role:
- Strong portfolio showing the breadth of digital design capabilities.
- 2-4 years related experience (agency or client-side) including a focus on digital.
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in digital design and graphic arts.
- Strong knowledge of current digital design best practices and web production techniques.
- Extensive knowledge and working experience of Adobe Creative Cloud programs: Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.
- Experience in digital/web production and design, with experience in user interface design and an understanding of HTML and CSS techniques, Google Web Designer, and Adobe Dreamweaver.
- Working knowledge of print production and prepress skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively independently and as part of a team.
- Strong prioritizing, problem-solving, presentation, communication and presentation skills.
Some Must Know:
- You must be legally eligible to work in Canada. Non-Canadian applicants must have a valid employment Visa and proper documentation authorizing their ability to work in Canada.
- This role is based in Toronto. The candidate must be able to work on site at our downtown lakeside campus, however a hybrid-work model is being considered.
- Harbourfront Centre recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks during the current pandemic. As such, an offer of employment shall be conditional on proof of full COVID-19 vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization.
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
Harbourfront Centre values and is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in our teams, creative communities, programmes and services. We invite qualified applicants from all backgrounds to apply. Acceptable applications must include:
- A current resume
- A cover letter indicating your salary expectations and why you would be the perfect fit for the role
- A link to a portfolio or website
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their candidacy by contacting email@example.com by no later than November 9, 2022. Please quote Graphic Designer in the subject line of the application.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. Suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.