Harbourfront Centre is a leader in providing internationally renowned artistic, educational and recreational programming across a beautiful 10-acre campus at the heart of Toronto’s waterfront. For more than 45 years, Harbourfront Centre has celebrated the best in Canadian culture and the rich mosaic of cultures from around the world, presenting thousands of events annually from music festivals to contemporary dance, to craft and design, to visual arts and more. Welcoming visitors year-round, there is something for everyone at Harbourfront Centre!
We are currently looking to bring on board an organized, dependable and attentive Assistant Manager to support the Harbourfront Centre Sailing and Powerboating team.
Position Title: Assistant Manager, HCSP
Department: Sailing & Powerboating (Recreational Learning)
Reporting to: Emma Wright, Sailing & Powerboating Manager
Direct reports: HCSP Fleet Operations (Dock) Supervisors Head Junior Sail Instructor, Sail and Power Contract Instructors
Type of Employment: Full-time, 35 hours per week
- Oversee daily operations throughout the season working closely with the HCSP Managers
- Manage seasonal staff including assisting the Manager and Head Junior Sail Instructor with staff recruitment and selection of staff (Dock & Junior Sail)
- Daily monitoring of weather patterns in compliance with safe boating & company policy
- Management and delivery of staff training and ongoing training needs and performance management of direct report staff and seasonal staff
- Monitoring customer bookings in relation to fleet availability and managing customer experience and qualification eligibility for boat usage
- Establishing a safe operating environment based on safety regulations and ensuring all company Health and Safety policies and practices are adhered to
- Working with the management team to ensure that the fleet is in compliance with Transport Canada regulations
- Reporting and liaison with Marine Police and Transport Canada in the case of an incident
- Work with the Marine Services Manager to review fleet operational expenses and invoices
- Assist the Manager with the planning of asset purchases and ensure that fleet status is effectively communicated to all stakeholders and
- Oversee hours submissions to HR for payroll processing for Junior Sail Camp Staff and schedule of the Fleet Operations Team (Dock Staff) and monitoring of staff hours
- Assist the Marine Services Team with the Fleet Launch (pre-season) and the Haul-Out (post-season)
- Liaise with the Marine Services Team regarding fleet readiness and ongoing maintenance needs, ensuring that the fleet is effectively and efficiently maintained and operational.
- Manage and support the Dock Operations and work with the Dock Operations Supervisor in the daily management of boat checklists and fleet cleanliness
- Establishing a safe operating environment based on safely regulations & overseeing safe operations of staff & equipment
- Assist the Marine Services team with the prioritisation of work based on boat issues arising during the season and resource availability
- Manages Checklick database for course certifications and manage membership database and coursemanagement database
- Assist the office with customer correspondence and sales and manage stock of office supplies and place order when needed
- Assist the Manager with the generation and distribution of marketing materials and organization and management of preparation and close out activity
- Provide key support to the Head Instructor in daily operations and consult with the Manager in the acquisition of parts and equipment for the Dinghy Fleet
- Work with the Head Instructor to develop of Junior Sail Camp programming and curriculum and assist the Head Instructor with administrative duties related to Checklick
- Assist the Management team with the format and management of courses and oversee data entry into Checklick system for all student certifications
- Maintain and update adult sail and power course testing materials and liaise with Ontario Sailing, Sail Canada, Canadian Power Squadron
- Assist the Manager with the delivery of Membership programs ensuring that all protocols and procedures are communicated and enforced. And liaison with Club Commodore Members
- General membership administration including financials, profiles and customer service and assistance with social and race committee meetings and activities
- Coordination of crew bank (i.e. buddy sail programs) and assist with the organisation educational member events, mileage builders, cruises, clinic’s, skills development nights
- Assist the Manager with the promotion and communication of members events and assist the Head Instructor with the organisation of Race Nights (Committee Boat, Boat Assignment, Sailing Instructions (SI’s), Debrief, Protests)
- Assist the management team with the organisation of Member Awards Night and management of voting and assignment of awards
- Development of corporate team sailing event programming and operations and corporate event lead instructor heading up the on-water experience
- Follow-up with corporate clients to upsell other services leveraging further sales
- 2 years + of management or leadership experience
- 1-2 years of sailing and/or powerboating instructional experience
- Completion of secondary, and preferable higher education or training and experience deemed equivalent
- Familiarity with the basics of boat repair and maintenance
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Good skills with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- High attention to detail and quality
- Ability to be resourceful, proactive and use good judgment in dealing with issues that may arise with employees and customers
- Ability to organize, multitask, prioritize and work under pressure
- Team player
- Experience in maintaining information in multiple databases is considered an asset
- Working knowledge of Tessitura& Artifact systems is considered an asset
- Comfortable with; Outlook; Checklick; WordPress; Mail Chimp;Survey Monkey and POS systems is desirable
- Previous experience with online media channels such as Grouponis desirable
- Experience with a multi-line systemand Microsoft applications is desirable
- Familiar with social media promotion, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.is desirable
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. Non-Canadian applicants must have a valid employment Visa and proper documentation authorizing their ability to work in Canada.
- Harbourfront Centre recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks during the current pandemic. As such, an offer of employment shall be conditional on proof of full COVID-19 vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization.
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
Acceptable applications must include a current resume and a cover letter, indicating why you wish to join the team, how you would meet the criteria for this key position, and your salary expectation.
Harbourfront is committed to diversity and inclusiveness. We encourage qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than December 1st, 2022. Please quote Assistant Manager, HCSP in the subject line of your application.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. Suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.