Harbourfront Centre is a leader in providing internationally renowned artistic, educational and recreational programming across a beautiful 10-acre campus at the heart of Toronto’s waterfront. For more than 45 years, Harbourfront Centre has celebrated the best in Canadian culture and the rich mosaic of cultures from around the world, presenting thousands of events annually from music festivals to contemporary dance, to craft and design, to visual arts and more. Welcoming visitors year-round, there is something for everyone at Harbourfront Centre!
Harbourfront Centre, on Toronto’s waterfront, is an innovative non-profit cultural organization which creates, for a diverse public, events and activities of excellence that enliven, educate and entertain. Currently, exciting seasonal employment opportunities exist in Harbourfront Centre Camps, one of Toronto’s largest, most diverse and creative day camps.
Position Title: Supervisor
Department: Recreational Learning
Number of Vacancies: 3
Type of Employment: Seasonal, Contract
Duration: May-September 2022 (Part-time training starting in May 2022 / Camps: July 4-September 2, 2022) *dates subject to change
Hours of Work: Monday to Friday, 35-40 hours per week (training on weekends may be assigned)
Rate of Pay: $19.50 per hour
- Assist in training of Program Facilitators and Counsellors;
- Oversee staff team of 5-8 Program Facilitators and their respective camps;
- Observe and evaluate programming throughout summer to ensure it meets programming promise;
- Conduct administrative duties such as daily attendance, evaluations, incident reports, etc.;
- Assist with beginning and end-of-day procedures;
- Assist Camps Coordinator in weekly staff meetings;
- Assist Camps Coordinator with supply inventory and organization;
- Provide superior customer service;
- Assist in staff and camper safety during emergency procedures;
- Support professional growth of co-op students and/or volunteers if required;
- Help organize and facilitate end-of-session Open House performances/displays;
- Other duties as required
SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS
- Must be 18 years of age at the start of a program;
- Previous experience working in a camp setting and/or with children and youth;
- Ability to remain organized throughout work day (on time submissions, staff evaluations, prioritize urgency of daily tasks, etc.);
- Ability to supervise a staff team (collaborate, resolve conflict, provide feedback/tools, etc.);
- Ability to lead training and camp activities;
- Ability to work independently and take ownership of daily tasks;
- Ability to bring a positive attitude and enthusiasm to each day;
- Ability to be responsible (punctual, balance time constraints, prioritize safety of campers/staff, etc.);
- Enjoy working with children and youth;
- Valid Standard First Aid and CPR-C certification is required;
- A Criminal Background Check (with Vulnerable Sector Screening) is required;
- Previous supervisor experience;
- Experience with one of the specialized disciplines (D&D, visual arts, performing arts, circus, culinary, etc.);
- Previous experience in the field of leadership or special needs;
- Post-secondary education or training as related to the position (B.Ed, E.C.E, BFA, diploma, etc,);
- Valid G-Class driver’s licence.
- Standing for prolonged periods of time;
- Some exposure to inclement weather conditions during outdoor and offsite programs;
- Some exposure to rigorous physical activity.
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
Harbourfront Centre’s Camps team is committed to advancing our efforts in equity, diversity and inclusion. We are passionate about learning and supporting participants of all ages and abilities in their growth and development. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply–regardless of race, ancestry, ethnic origin, place of origin, colour, age, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, creed, citizenship, or disability. We strive for a barrier free recruitment process and as such, encourage applicants to request accommodations at any stage of the hiring process.
Qualified applicants are invited to apply through the Harbourfront Centre Camps Recruitment Portal by May 27, 2022. You will be asked to create a profile and will be taken to the application selection page.
Our staff team is one of the things that makes our Camps programs so unique. If you’re looking for new experiences and opportunities for personal and professional growth, this is the place for you! We are dedicated to building a future that better serves our communities—a diverse staff team is essential in achieving this goal. When submitting your application, we encourage applicants to clearly self-identify in your application if you are a member of an equity-seeking group. We genuinely look forward to receiving your application!