Harbourfront Centre is a leader in providing internationally renowned artistic, educational and recreational programming across a beautiful 10-acre campus at the heart of Toronto’s waterfront. For more than 45 years, Harbourfront Centre has celebrated the best in Canadian culture and the rich mosaic of cultures from around the world, presenting thousands of events annually from music festivals to contemporary dance, to craft and design, to visual arts and more. Welcoming visitors year-round, there is something for everyone at Harbourfront Centre!
We are currently looking to bring on board an experienced, imaginative and progressive Senior Graphic Designer to create engaging visual communication experiences in support of our brand, programs and events. Our ideal candidate is a visual master storyteller who can express our institutional narrative through compelling design that inspires and influences millions of arts and culture aficionados, visitors and supporters of our non-profit.
You bring strategy to life through a strong understanding of visual language, your proficiency in design, love of typography, and an intuition for user experience. You are driven to create memorable work and enhance the function it serves – be it responsive design for the web, or award-winning festival posters. Ultimately, you are a problem solver, with a sharp eye for details that matter and a passion to come up with innovative solutions to make things (website, email and direct mail, visual brand ID) better. As importantly, you are in command of and manage your creative process efficiently. We are a fast-paced, collaborative, and multidisciplinary team that is constantly communicating our message, programs and events across all media and platforms.
If this sounds like the playground you want to play in, we want to hear from you!
Position Title: Senior Graphic Designer
Department: Marketing & Creative Services
Reporting To: Creative Project Manager (in the interim, to the Director, Marketing & Creative Services)
Type of Employment: Full-time, 35 hours a week
Work Location: Toronto
What you will be doing
- Develop creative and design concepts from ideation to execution for new programmatic and institutional campaigns as well as corporate brand identity that are strategically grounded in delivering to marketing objectives.
- Create and support brand guidelines across various media and platforms (digital and print) and provide quality control in maintaining brand standards.
- Design campaign assets and creative components of digital programs, including, but not limited to, web, email, social media, display and other online formats.
- Produce presentations, mock-ups, and in situ layouts.
- Collaborate with marketing team and the wider business teams to ideate, develop creative aligned with wider marketing messages and ensure content is used effectively.
- Balance and manage workload according to established department priorities.
What you bring to the role
- 6+ years related experience (agency or client-side) including a focus on digital.
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in Graphic Design is preferred.
- Strong and diverse portfolio of visual design, design thinking and illustration skills.
- Experience developing, presenting and executing visual concepts, designs and design systems.
- Extensive knowledge and working experience of Adobe Creative Cloud programs: Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.
- Experience in digital/web production and design, with experience in user interface design and an understanding of HTML and CSS techniques, Google Web Designer, and Adobe Dreamweaver.
- Excellent design, production and prepress skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively independently and as part of a team.
- Strong prioritizing, problem-solving, presentation, communication and presentation skills.
- Experience in motion graphics and text animation is a plus.
Some Must Know
- You must be legally eligible to work in Canada. Non-Canadian applicants must have a valid employment Visa and proper documentation authorizing their ability to work in Canada.
- This role is based in Toronto. The candidate must be able to work on site at our downtown lakeside campus, however a hybrid-work model is being considered.
- Harbourfront Centre recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks during the current pandemic. As such, an offer of employment shall be conditional on proof of full COVID-19 vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization.
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
Harbourfront Centre values and is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in our teams, creative communities, programmes and services. We invite qualified applicants from all backgrounds to apply. Acceptable applications must include:
- A current resume
- A cover letter indicating your salary expectations and why you would be the perfect fit for the role
- A link to a portfolio or website
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their candidacy by contacting email@example.com by no later than March 18, 2022. Please quote Senior Graphic Designer in the subject line of the application.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. Suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.