Harbourfront Centre is a leader in providing internationally renowned artistic, educational and recreational programming across a beautiful 10-acre campus at the heart of Toronto’s waterfront. For more than 45 years, Harbourfront Centre has celebrated the best in Canadian culture and the rich mosaic of cultures from around the world, presenting thousands of events annually from music festivals to contemporary dance, to craft and design, to visual arts and more. Welcoming visitors year-round, there is something for everyone at Harbourfront Centre!
We are currently seeking an experienced, driven and results-oriented Project Manager to play a key role in the planning, organization and successful delivery of all site-related capital and maintenance projects envisioned for the organization in the immediate future.
Position Title: Project Manager
Department: Operations – Infrastructure & Capital Projects
Reporting to: Director, Infrastructure & Capital Projects
Direct Reports: Project supervisors & staff
Type of Employment: 12-month potential for 24-month contract
Salary/wage: To be discussed with potential candidates
SUMMARY OF FUNCTION:
The Project Manager (PM) is part of the Site Operations team, and will play a key role in the planning, organization and successful delivery of all site-related capital and maintenance projects. Reporting to the Director, Infrastructure and Capital Projects, the PM will take on a full range of project management responsibilities, including planning, budgeting, request for proposals, tenders, reporting, and stakeholder communications.
The PM will lead the development and project management process for Harbourfront Centre capital and operating projects as directed. The PM will plan, organize, assign and supervise work for project team(s) and site personnel, as well as be responsible for initiating and maintaining contact with trades, consultants, architects and designers; leading meetings with them and monitoring/controlling construction budgets and costs – all while adhering to Harbourfront Centre’s safety protocols.
- Responsible for multiple project coordination including: concert stage, theatre, footbridge, ice rink/pond, accessible renovations to internal and external structures, roof, and HVAC projects
- Single-point accountability for project deliverables based on scope of work while managing multiple stakeholder expectations.
- Procurement Management: Identifies project delivery resources required from pre-qualified lists or through individual project qualification process; conducts standard request for proposals; completes bid analysis; recommends resources.
- Validate cost estimates; create the schedule of values for budget and progress billing; reconcile all costs and mitigate budget overruns; review labour and material budgets to ensure they are in line with funding source.
- Lead project delivery resources/team providing project guidance and direction to achieve project goals.
- Track progress of each project against goals, objectives, approved budgets, and approved timelines.
- Identify project risks, develop risk mitigation and contingency plans, and implement action plans to reduce or eliminate project risks.
- Responsible for communication flow and documentation control for all relevant project materials.
- Management of third-party resources/teams through all project phases, including concept, schematic, design development, construction and execution phases.
- Provide regular progress reports to project stakeholders on all aspects of the project, including safety, quality, budget, schedule, risk, etc.
- Supervision of assigned staff
- Develop and maintain project budgets and schedules as required for each project and funding/grant objectives.
- Work with Finance to ensure all charge backs and invoices are processed on time, and within the correct fiscal period.
- Assist in preparing project budgets. Make recommendations based on past experience and project requirements.
- Maintain key contacts for Harbourfront Centre projects in a centralized location.
- Ensure all contracts, request for proposals, tenders, budgets and correspondence are maintained and up to date, with clear communication to all relevant departments.
Skills & Requirements
- Minimum of five to seven (5–7) years’ experience as a Project or Production Manager in facilities and/or construction.
- PMP certification.
- Proficient with SmartSheet project management software.
- Post-Secondary education in Construction Management or equivalent.
- Full “G” class Ontario driver’s license.
- WHMIS trained.
- Advanced analytical and quantitative skills.
- Working knowledge of contract terms and conditions.
- Fundamental understanding of project financial controls.
- Ability to read and understand architectural and construction drawings.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, PowerPoint, and web-based applications.
- Outstanding relationship-management skills, including the ability to work closely and collaboratively with a wide range of stakeholders.
- A well-defined sense of diplomacy, including solid negotiation, conflict resolution, and people-management skills.
- Highly effective communication skills with individuals at all levels of the organization, including the ability to build and maintain relationships with departments.
- Creative and innovative thinker.
- Energetic, self-motivated, and results-oriented.
- Strong work ethic with a strong passion for the arts and client engagement.
- Engineering, design or facilities management background an asset.
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. Non-Canadian applicants must have a valid employment Visa and proper documentation authorizing their ability to work in Canada.
- This role is based in Toronto. Remote work from home is currently in place, however when a return-to-work directive is communicated, the candidate must be able to work on site at our downtown lakeside campus.
- Harbourfront Centre recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks during the current pandemic. As such, an offer of employment shall be conditional on proof of full COVID-19 vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization.
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
Acceptable applications must include a current resume and a cover letter indicating how you meet the essential criteria of the position, as well as your salary expectations.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply by contacting email@example.com by no later than February 16, 2022. Please quote Project Manager in the subject line of your application. We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
At Harbourfront Centre we are committed to diversity and inclusiveness. We encourage qualified applicants from all backgrounds to apply and we welcome applicants from individuals who identify as belonging to equity priority groups. Suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.