Harbourfront Centre is a leader in providing internationally renowned artistic, educational and recreational programming across a beautiful 10-acre campus at the heart of Toronto’s waterfront. For more than 45 years, Harbourfront Centre has celebrated the best in Canadian culture and the rich mosaic of cultures from around the world, presenting thousands of events annually from music festivals to contemporary dance, to craft and design, to visual arts and more. Welcoming visitors year-round, there is something for everyone at Harbourfront Centre!
We are currently seeking a talented, dynamic and driven Development Officer, Philanthropy to play an integral role in Harbourfront Centre’s philanthropic revenue generation strategy with a focus on individual and foundation giving.
Position Title: Development Officer, Philanthropy
Reporting to: Chief Development Officer
Type of Employment: Full-time, 35 hours per week
Work Location: Toronto
- Identifies, cultivates, solicits, and stewards prospects and donors capable of making gifts of $10,000 and above.
- Supports major gift fundraising portfolios of the Chief Executive Officer and Chief Executive Officer (Individuals and Foundations), including preparation of correspondence, proposals, call briefing notes and call reports.
- Proficiently utilizes Tessitura, our constituent relationship management software, to track solicitations and build prospect lists.
- Researches and prepares foundation applications, including letters of inquiry and proposals.
- Collaborates on direct marketing activities to acquire, renew and reactivate annual donors.
- Is an integral part of a dynamic team of development professionals, working together to advance our mission.
- Nurtures relationships with leadership and major donors through regular communication and face-to-face meetings and events.
- Organizes donor receptions and special events in collaboration with Programming and Production teams.
- Prepares gift agreements in adherence to Gift Acceptance Policy.
- Works with Marketing to ensure appropriate donor recognition in relevant communications and marketing materials.
- Develops in-depth knowledge of Harbourfront Centre programs, events and audiences.
- Attends external receptions, conferences, seminars and other events at Harbourfront Centre and within the community as a representative of the institution.
- Performs other development-related duties as assigned.
Key Performance Indicators
- Meets or exceeds revenue targets on an annual basis.
- Effective coordination of private giving programme.
- Enhances Harbourfront Centre’s reputation with the private giving community through on-going outreach and relationship development efforts.
- Develops new revenue opportunities and/or programs to attract private giving support.
- Experienced fundraising professional with minimum of five (5) years’ experience.
- University degree or equivalent work experience.
- Polished and professional demeanor and ability to interact with prospects, donors, staff and volunteers from a variety of backgrounds and giving levels.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Outstanding interpersonal and relationship-management skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Demonstrated use of tact and diplomacy, and ability to work in a cross-functional team setting.
- Excellent computer skills, including extensive experience using Tessitura, Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Proficiency in French is considered an asset, as is knowledge of other languages.
- Knowledge of the arts and culture sector is desirable.
- Experience and knowledge of Tessitura is considered an asset.
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. All international applicants must have a valid employment Visa authorizing their ability to work in Canada on a full-time, ongoing basis.
- This role is based in Toronto, requiring an in-the-office presence, with the possibility of hybrid work based on organizational need.
- Harbourfront Centre supports a pet-friendly work environment as per the guidelines of our Workplace Pet Policy.
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
Harbourfront Centre values and is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in our teams, creative communities, programmes and services. We invite qualified applicants from all backgrounds to apply. Acceptable applications must include a current resume and a cover letter indicating why you wish to join the Development team, how you meet the essential criteria of the position, and your salary expectations.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply by contacting email@example.com by no later than December 19, 2023. Please quote Development Officer, Philanthropy in the subject line of your application.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. If required, suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.