Application Deadline: July 15, 2022
Harbourfront Centre is a leader in providing internationally renowned artistic, educational and recreational programming across a beautiful 10-acre campus at the heart of Toronto’s waterfront. For more than 45 years, Harbourfront Centre has celebrated the best in Canadian culture and the rich mosaic of cultures from around the world, presenting thousands of events annually from music festivals to contemporary dance, to craft and design, to visual arts and more. Welcoming visitors year-round, there is something for everyone at Harbourfront Centre!
We are currently seeking an imaginative, dynamic and collaborative Associate Producer with great organizational and project management skills, to support the planning, execution and oversight of diverse and multidisciplinary programming at Harbourfront Centre, specifically our JUNIOR festival and our Summer Music in the Garden series. This position also supports the Performing Arts team with other festival/event execution as required.
Position Title: Associate Producer
Department: Performing Arts
Reporting To: Director, Performing Arts
Type of Employment: Full-time, 35 hours per week
Work Location: Toronto
- Participate and contribute to the programming team’s development and planning of events and festivals, including brainstorming of ideas, researching potential artists and groups, assisting with proposals’ preparation, and keeping track of deliverables.
- Manage all aspects of the critical path leading up to a festival/event.
- Assist the Director, Performing Arts in budget creation, and manage festival/event budgets.
- Assist with festival/event set-up, volunteer requirements, execution & strike, and serve as lead venue contact.
- Execute various post-event duties, including writing evaluation reports, generating thank you letters to artists and partners.
- Manage departmental administration including financial reconciliation, annual memberships and subscriptions.
- Research new and creative/effective ways to make programming accessible to patrons, artists and presenters of all disciplines.
- Develop and maintain a roster of accessibility service providers including but not limited to ASL Interpreters, Braille Translators and Closed Captioning, as well as Audio Described and Relaxed Performance consultants.
- Liaise with Marketing, Publicity and Design teams to deliver programming details and to ensure accuracy and appropriateness of publicity and marketing strategies for programs.
- Identify unique methods for reaching target groups through outreach initiatives.
- Support Marketing and Development events, launches and receptions as required and as related to programming initiatives.
- Collaborate with the Production Coordinator/Manager to create a shared critical path, and work closely with the production and technical services teams to ensure that programming needs are met from a technical and production perspective.
- Support the gathering of information for the preparation of the booking and billing contracts, and keeps other departments informed of program plans.
- Help to determine signage requirements and assist with submitting request to the appropriate teams.
- Assist with the preparation of evaluation reports and makes recommendations on if, when, and how to repeat the event.
- Complete special projects and other assignments as needed, as directed by the Director, Performing Arts.
- Knowledge of and proven experience in programming and producing festivals and events in the arts and cultural sector.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and relationship management skills to professionally and tactfully interact with outside peers, programming partners, the general public, the media, and diverse communities.
- Creativity and imagination in supporting the development of new programming ideas, with the ability to assess and make decisions on a variety of performances and determine their suitability.
- Highly organized to coordinate multiple activities and programs.
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite, and database management.
- Must enjoy working in a fast-paced environment, collaborating with many different teams.
- Knowledge and experience with revenue generation (fundraising, grant writing, fee for service, sponsorships, etc.) is desirable.
- A general understanding of financial process and procedures is required, as is the ability to develop and monitor budgets, and demonstrate sound financial management.
- Excellent project management skills.
- A leadership aptitude, with the ability to take initiative, work independently, yet also foster and drive collaboration and project deliverables with other departments and external groups
- A general understanding of local, national and international arts infrastructures is desirable.
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. Non-Canadian applicants must have a valid employment Visa and proper documentation authorizing their ability to work in Canada.
- This role is based in Toronto.
- Harbourfront Centre recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks during the current pandemic. As such, an offer of employment shall be conditional on proof of full COVID-19 vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization.
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
Harbourfront Centre is committed to diversity and inclusiveness. We encourage qualified applicants from all backgrounds to apply and we welcome applicants from individuals who identify as belonging to equity priority groups. Acceptable applications must include a current resume and a cover letter indicating how you meet the requirements criteria of the position.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply by contacting email@example.com by no later than July 15, 2022. Please quote Associate Producer in the subject line of your application.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. If required, suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.