Harbourfront Centre is a leader in providing internationally renowned artistic, educational and recreational programming across a beautiful 10-acre campus at the heart of Toronto’s waterfront. For more than 45 years, Harbourfront Centre has celebrated the best in Canadian culture and the rich mosaic of cultures from around the world, presenting thousands of events annually from music festivals to contemporary dance, to craft and design, to visual arts and more. Welcoming visitors year-round, there is something for everyone at Harbourfront Centre!
We are currently seeking an organized, courteous and detail-attentive Assistant, Volunteer Engagement to support our Volunteer team administratively by responding to volunteer inquiries, scheduling volunteers, preparing volunteer packages, tracking volunteer contributions, as well as festival/event execution and volunteer support on weekends.
Position Title: Assistant, Volunteer Engagement
Department: Visitor Experience
Reporting to: Manager, Volunteer Engagement
Type of Employment: Contract, 6 months (May to October 2023)
Hours of Work: 35 hours per week, with occasional weekend work
Rate of Pay: $18 per hour
- Field volunteer inquiries, return calls and respond to emails in a timely manner.
- Maintain shift schedule spreadsheets and track departmental volunteer requests.
- Create and post volunteer opportunities on the Volunteer Management System (Better Impact).
- Prepare volunteer packages for each event and distribute them in a timely manner.
- Facilitate volunteer sign-in process for events on the Volunteer Management System.
- Assist with post-event follow-up evaluations as needed.
- Maintain volunteer database and statistics with accuracy and attention to detail.
- Supervise volunteers at the Volunteer Lounge or elsewhere on campus.
- Completion of post-secondary degree in arts, music, event and/or volunteer management or related field.
- Experience in event/venue and/or volunteer management is an asset.
- 1-2 years of administrative experience.
- Strong time management and organizational skills.
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite, and database management.
- Must enjoy working in a fast-paced environment and collaborating with many different teams.
- A patient and diplomatic approach to interpersonal communication.
- Must be available to occasionally work on weekends as required.
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. Non-Canadian applicants must have a valid employment Visa and proper documentation authorizing their ability to work in Canada for the full duration of the contract.
- Harbourfront Centre recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks associated with COVID-19. As such, an offer of employment shall be conditional on proof of full COVID-19 vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization.
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
Harbourfront Centre values and is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in our teams, creative communities, programmes and services. We invite qualified applicants from all backgrounds to apply. Acceptable applications must include a current resume and a cover letter outlining the qualifications and experience that you would bring to the position.
Qualified applicants can submit their candidacy by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than April 16, 2023. Please quote Assistant, Volunteer Engagement in the subject line of the application.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. Suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.