Application Deadline: May 7, 2023
Harbourfront Centre is a leader in providing internationally renowned artistic, educational and recreational programming across a beautiful 10-acre campus at the heart of Toronto’s waterfront. For more than 45 years, Harbourfront Centre has celebrated the best in Canadian culture and the rich mosaic of cultures from around the world, presenting thousands of events annually from music festivals to contemporary dance, to craft and design, to visual arts and more. Welcoming visitors year-round, there is something for everyone at Harbourfront Centre!
We are currently looking to bring on board a highly organized, energetic and detail-oriented Assistant, Craft & Design with strong interpersonal and communication skills to support and assist the activities of the Craft & Design department inclusive of daily liaising with Artists-in-Residence (AiRs), facilitating all educational programs and courses, assisting with exhibitions, and serving as the department’s super-user for the Tessitura and Artifax systems.
Position Title: Assistant, Craft & Design
Department: Craft & Design
Reporting to: Director, Craft & Design
Type of Employment: Full-Time, 35 hours per week
- Liaise daily with Artists-in-Residence.
- Coordinate jury for annual Artists-in-Residence interviews.
- Administer Artists-in-Residence contracts.
- Maintain Artists-in-Residence handbook and assist with orientations.
- Coordinate Artists-in-Residence courses and workshops.
- Administer Selection Committee Jury.
- Monitor and address public inquiries regarding Courses & Workshops.
- Liaise with presenting/exhibiting artists.
- Administer exhibition & visiting artist contracts.
- Manage shipping, receiving and packing of artworks nationally and internationally.
- Arrange travel and accommodation for visiting artists.
- Liaise with Marketing, communicating content related to all Craft & Design priorities – exhibitions, programs, courses & workshops and Craft & Design corridor monitors.
- Implement content for Craft & Design Instagram account.
- Work closely with vendors, contractors, and site services in the successful execution of maintenance and repair requests for Craft & Design Studio facilities and equipment.
- Execute yearly equipment inventory and research and order supplies and equipment.
- Process cheque requisitions, reconcile credit card statements.
- Process AiR rent, courses & workshops and application fee payments.
- Serve in the capacity of the Tessitura & Artifax super user.
- Maintain the Artists-in-Residence Google Calendar & Google Drive.
- Attend Health & Safety Committee meetings.
- Coordinate filming & photography in the Studio.
- Attend community events – receptions, exhibitions, talks, conferences.
- Represent the Director, Craft & Design when they are unable to be present during meetings and tours.
- University degree in art or equivalent.
- Minimum one year in arts administration.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal) to liaise with Artists-in-Residence, other departments and the public.
- Excellent computer skills.
- Exceptional organizational skills.
- Ability to absorb new ideas and concepts.
- Energetic, self-motivated and results oriented.
- Strong work ethic.
- Knowledge of contemporary craft and design studio practices is desirable.
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. Non-Canadian applicants must have a valid employment Visa and proper documentation authorizing their ability to work in Canada.
- This role is based in Toronto and the candidate must be able to work on site at our waterfront campus.
- Harbourfront Centre recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks. As such, an offer of employment shall be conditional on proof of full COVID-19 vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization.
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
Harbourfront Centre is committed to diversity and inclusiveness. We encourage qualified applicants of all backgrounds to apply. Acceptable applications must include a current resume and a cover letter indicating why you wish to join the team, how you would meet the essential criteria for this position, and your salary expectations.
To apply, please submit your application to email@example.com by no later than May 7, 2023. Please quote Assistant, Craft & Design in the subject line of your application.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. Suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.