Harbourfront Centre is a leader in providing internationally renowned artistic, educational and recreational programming across a beautiful 10-acre campus at the heart of Toronto’s waterfront. For more than 45 years, Harbourfront Centre has celebrated the best in Canadian culture and the rich mosaic of cultures from around the world, presenting thousands of events annually from music festivals to contemporary dance, to craft and design, to visual arts and more. Welcoming visitors year-round, there is something for everyone at Harbourfront Centre!
Currently, exciting employment opportunities exist in Harbourfront Centre for part time Visitor Services Supervisors. This position offers the opportunity to work for one of the leading multidisciplinary arts institutions in the world.
Position Title: Visitor Services Supervisor
Department: Visitor Experience
Reporting To: Manager, Visitor Experience & Assistant Manager, Visitor Experience
Direct Reports: Visitor Services Representatives
Type of Employment: Part Time/Casual
Hourly Rate: $22
Number of Positions: 2-3
Summary of Function:
Harbourfront Centre operates a ten-acre site that encompasses five theatres – Fleck Dance Theatre (capacity 446), Harbourfront Centre Theatre (capacity 350), Studio Theatre (capacity 196), Brigantine Room (cabaret-style 250), and Lakeside Terrace (theatre 250); and various alternative multi-purpose spaces for presentations, workshops, school classes, camps and other activities. Outdoor stages include the large amphitheater-style Concert Stage (1200 seated, 3500 standing), the smaller Stage in the Round and summer music concerts in the Toronto Music Garden. The site also includes two art galleries; six working craft and design studios; various alternative exhibition spaces; and the central public spaces, Canada Square and Ontario Square.
As the Visitor Services Supervisor you will have the opportunity to oversee the daily operation of the box office as you lead, supervise, and motivate a team of Visitor Services Representatives. You will be a part of the Visitor Experience Team and provide concierge level service to all of our visitors where our goal is to exceed expectations as we welcome visitor’s back to our site.
- Oversees the Box Office front-line team, ensuring that customers are provided with exceptional service and that transactions, processes, protocols, and procedures are accurately followed using the appropriate tools and platforms
- Supports, supervises, organizes, and coordinates the workload and services provided by the Box Office front-line team on a day-to-day basis and ensures that they are kept up to date with internal communications
- Train and coach the box office front-line team, provide professional resolution of escalated customer service issues
- Supervise the activities of the ticket sellers in the satellite Box Offices and manage Will Call
- Performs clerical, administrative, and financial functions associated with event promotion, ticket sales and other activities, as required
- Assist with implementation of Box Office policies and procedures
- Maintain a positive and proactive approach to ticketing activities and a strong commitment to superior customer service
- Cash control, balancing and related administrative functions
- Monitoring staff performance to ensure high levels of customer service are being maintained
- Ticket processing and in-person ticket sales
- Process in house ticketing requests
- Other duties, as assigned
Skills & Requirements:
- 2-3 years of supervisory experience in a sales, financial, or events environment
- 3-5 years of experience in customer service delivery
- Demonstrated experience with computers and an ability to develop a comprehensive understanding and expertise with event software and customer relation management systems
- Previous experience with cash management and point of sales systems
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to multi-task
- Ability to work under pressure and adapt quickly to a fast-paced environment
- Excellent problem solving and decision-making skills
- Excellent communication and de-escalation skills
- Highly motivated self-starter with a lot of initiative
- Ability to comfortably lift fifteen (15) to twenty (20) pounds of weight to help support operational needs
- Ability to comfortably work in both indoor and outdoor environments
- Ability to work while seated at computer in an office environment for extended periods of time
- Ability to work while standing to support events for extended periods of time
- Available to support call centre opening times including weekday business hours, as well as rotating weekend and evening shifts to support events
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. Non-Canadian applicants must have a valid employment Visa and proper documentation authorizing their ability to work in Canada.
- Harbourfront Centre recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks during the current pandemic. As such, an offer of employment shall be conditional on proof of full COVID-19 vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization.
- Supervisory Experience in a ticketing operations environment is an asset
- Customer Service experience via in-person, telephone, and digitized methods of delivery is an asset
- Ability to troubleshoot technical problems as they arise is desirable
- Experience using ticketing software, particularly Tessitura is desirable
- Familiarity with Front of House/Ushering customer service delivery &/or delivery of customer service at live events is considered an asset
- Knowledge and interest of Canada’s Arts Community is desirable
- Experience in the not-for-profit sector is desirable
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
Harbourfront Centre is committed to diversity and inclusiveness. We encourage qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply by contacting email@example.com by no later than Friday April 11th, 2022. Please quote Visitor Service Supervisor 04/22 in the subject line of your application.
Acceptable applications must include a current resume and a cover letter indicating why you wish to join the team, and how you would meet the requirements of the role.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. Suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.