Harbourfront Centre is a leader in providing internationally renowned artistic, educational and recreational programming across a beautiful 10-acre campus at the heart of Toronto’s waterfront. For more than 45 years, Harbourfront Centre has celebrated the best in Canadian culture and the rich mosaic of cultures from around the world, presenting thousands of events annually from music festivals to contemporary dance, to craft and design, to visual arts and more. Welcoming visitors year-round, there is something for everyone at Harbourfront Centre!
We are currently looking to bring on board a reliable, adaptable and efficiency-focused Supervisor, Grounds to play a role in the organization for all site-related activities and be responsible for the site maintenance of our 10-acre campus, including landscaping, waste management, snow clearing, and event setups/strikes.
Position Title: Supervisor, Grounds
Department: Site Operations
Reporting To: Manager, Site Operations & Project Management
Direct Reports: Grounds Crew
Type of Employment: Full-Time
Hours of Work: 35 hours per week, with hours of work that include weekdays, evenings, and weekends including statutory holidays, as per organizational needs
Work Location: Toronto
- Supervise the performance of the grounds crew including preparing work schedules, prioritizing work assignments, and training.
- Maintain the site free of litter and provide regular garbage removal from containers and dump sites.
- Oversee waste management and recycling processes on the site.
- Operate the pressure washer to clean garbage compounds.
- Operate power sweeper and backpack blower to clean away leaves and other debris.
- Maintenance of all landscaping including but not limited to cutting of lawns, removal of weeds, up keeping of planters, baskets, and maintaining of irrigation systems and fog feature.
- Supervision of the snow removal crew using blowers, shovels, and plows clearing the steps, walkways, and roads; reviewing site conditions and ice control.
- Maintenance and installation of all tents on site. Coordinate with other departments the installation of all rental tents.
- Assist with set-ups for events and strikes as required.
- Maintain relationships with preferred service companies.
- Utilize Harbourfont Centre’s preventative maintenance systems (Teamwork) for all ad-hock service requests.
- Perform duties in a safe manner and abide by departmental safety procedures and policies.
- Perform other duties of a similar nature or level. Operate and handle all equipment with the greatest of care to ensure the safety of yourself, other staff, the public and the equipment.
- Three years minimum experience managing staff.
- Valid Ontario driver’s license Class G.
- Familiar with the operation / handling of power tools.
- Knowledge of the industry including gardening, waste removal, and snow removal.
- Snow removal experience, forklift certification and WHMIS certification preferred.
- Experience driving utility work vehicles preferred.
- Working at Heights certification is considered an asset.
- Excellent interpersonal and public relation skills.
- Familiarity of the Occupational Health & Safety Act.
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. Non-Canadian applicants must have a valid employment Visa and proper documentation authorizing their ability to work in Canada.
- This role is site-based in Toronto.
- Harbourfront Centre recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks associated with COVID-19. As such, an offer of employment shall be conditional on proof of full COVID-19 vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization.
- Operating equipment including forklift, scissor lift, gator, utility work vehicle, and company vehicle.
- Bending, pushing, pulling, and working in awkward positions
- Operating equipment for extended periods of time
- Ability to work outside 80% of the time.
- Work environment contains some risks or discomforts which require some safety precautions, exposure to extreme temperatures, and high noise levels during operation of power equipment.
- Work schedule varies, weekdays, evenings, and weekends including statutory holidays.
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
Harbourfront Centre values and is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in our teams, creative communities, programmes and services. We invite qualified applicants from all backgrounds to apply. Acceptable applications must include a current resume and a cover letter indicating salary expectations and why you would be the perfect fit for the role.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their candidacy by contacting email@example.com by no later than November 15, 2023. Please quote Supervisor, Grounds in the subject line of the application.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. Suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.