Harbourfront Centre is a leader in providing internationally renowned artistic, educational and recreational programming across a beautiful 10-acre campus at the heart of Toronto’s waterfront. For more than 45 years, Harbourfront Centre has celebrated the best in Canadian culture and the rich mosaic of cultures from around the world, presenting thousands of events annually from music festivals to contemporary dance, to craft and design, to visual arts and more. Welcoming visitors year-round, there is something for everyone at Harbourfront Centre!
Exciting seasonal employment opportunities for summer 2024 exist in Harbourfront Centre Camps, one of Toronto’s largest, most diverse and creative day camps. We are currently looking to bring on board a Transportation Coordinator to support the bussing needs associated with our Camps programs.
Position Title: Transportation Coordinator
Department: Recreational Learning
Type of Employment: Seasonal, Contract
Duration: June-September, 2024 (Part-time training starting early June/ full-time starting late June/ Camps: July 2-August 30, 2024) *dates subject to change
Hours of Work: Monday to Friday, 35 hours per week (training on weekends may be assigned)
Rate of Pay: $18 per hour
Work Location: On-site at our waterfront campus in Toronto
- Lead daily busing procedures for our 12 bus routes (including monitoring arrivals and departures from 41 stops, announcing bus arrivals once onsite, organizing offsite shuttles for camp field trips and splash pad days, support all staff to organize busing campers at end of day, support smooth loading of buses, monitor buses on their end of day routes, etc.).
- Act as main point of contact between Harbourfront Centre Camps and our busing partner (Switzer-Carty) to relay information about bus timing, modifications due to traffic and/or weather conditions, customer service concerns and relay relevant information to appropriate Harbourfront Centre Camps staff and/or parent/guardians as necessary.
- Assist Assistant Manager by acting as a Bus Marshal in the event of a staff absence.
- Work closely with our Safety and Security, Grounds and Operations departments to always ensure the safe operation of the bus loop, keeping camper and staff safety at top of mind.
- Perform general office duties including, but not limited to responding to inquiries (phone, email and in-person), data entry, filing, sharing program information, following up with customer concerns and/or incidents and verifying weekly busing attendance lists.
- In the lead up to the Camps season, work with Camps senior team to develop and administer staff training, run transportation simulations, support supply pick up and organization for all camps.
- At the end of the Camps season, work towards standardization of all transportation resources and prepare end of season bus route analysis for Assistant Manager.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Pleasant and positive communication and interpersonal skills to be able to clearly and patiently interact with campers, parents/guardians, the public, staff and stakeholders via email, phone and in-person.
- Responsible and dependable (punctual, prioritize safety of campers/other staff, etc.).
- Good proficiency with Microsoft Office 365 (Word, Excel, Outlook), as well as the ability to use office tools such as the printer, scanner, laminator etc.
- A enthusiastic attitude to face each work day with positivity and dynamism.
- Strong organizational skills to efficiently manage the work day (on time submissions, prioritize urgency of daily tasks, camper attendance, etc.).
- Ability to work independently, with proactive approach to take ownership of daily tasks.
- Must enjoy working with children and youth.
- A Criminal Background Check (with Vulnerable Sector Screening) is required.
- Relevant experience working in administration and/or customer service or in a camp setting is considered an asset.
- Post-secondary education or training as related to the position is desirable.
- A valid Standard First Aid and CPR-C certification is valued.
- A valid G-class driver’s license is preferable.
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. Non-Canadian applicants must have a valid employment Visa and proper documentation authorizing their ability to work in Canada for the full duration of the contract.
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
Harbourfront Centre’s Camps team is committed to advancing our efforts in equity, diversity and inclusion. We are passionate about learning and supporting participants of all ages and abilities in their growth and development. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply–regardless of race, ancestry, ethnic origin, place of origin, colour, age, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, creed, citizenship, or disability. We strive for a barrier-free recruitment process and as such, encourage applicants to request accommodations at any stage of the hiring process.
Qualified applicants are invited to apply through the Harbourfront Centre Camps Recruitment Portal https://harbourfrontcentre.campbrainstaff.com/ by March 31, 2024. You will be asked to create a profile and will be taken to the application selection page.
Our staff team is one of the things that makes our Camps programs so unique. If you’re looking for new experiences and opportunities for personal and professional growth, this is the place for you! We are dedicated to building a future that better serves our communities—a diverse staff team is essential in achieving this goal. When submitting your application, we encourage applicants to clearly self-identify in your application if you are a member of an equity-seeking group. We genuinely look forward to receiving your application!