Harbourfront Centre is a leader in providing internationally renowned artistic, educational and recreational programming across a beautiful 10-acre campus at the heart of Toronto’s waterfront. For more than 45 years, Harbourfront Centre has celebrated the best in Canadian culture and the rich mosaic of cultures from around the world, presenting thousands of events annually from music festivals to contemporary dance, to craft and design, to visual arts and more. Welcoming visitors year-round, there is something for everyone at Harbourfront Centre!
We are currently looking to bring on board a dependable Security Manager with excellent organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail, to support the administration needs of the Security department.
Position Title: Security Manager
Department: Safety & Security
Reporting to: Director Safety & Security
Direct reports: Security Supervisors
Type of Employment: Full-time, Salary, Permanent
Summary of Function:
The Security Manager will be responsible for the managing, planning, coordination and execution of all daily activities that support a high functioning and responsive Security department.
- Facilitates and track the training program for both site and event security including onboarding and orientation, HC policies & procedures, use of force, supervisor training etc., along with ongoing training and coaching to team to ensure compliance to procedures
- Manages and ensure completion of the essential audits including fire & life safety equipment, keys, cameras, access systems, first aid supplies and radios.
- Evaluates, develops and enforces policies and procedures relating to security areas, such as, tagging and towing, lost and found property and children, first aid and crowd and traffic control and cash handling/ banking for various departments, etc.
- Schedule maintenance on all access systems, cameras and radios, and reviews and revises post orders at least annually and notify team of changes and facilitate appropriate training.
- Work with the Manager, Safety & Emergency Management and Director Safety & Security to ensure all emergency procedures are up to date, documented, communicated, and trained on to security staff. manages hiring, performance management, absence management, and correcting behavior for the security department.
- Completes and communicates the schedule for full-time, part and event security staff, and reviews daily briefs for accuracy, consistency and address any required follow ups.
- Implements and maintains a program of regular inspections and risk assessments in common areas, work areas and tenant leased premises for the purposes of identifying and correcting hazardous, unsafe working conditions.
- Monitors all security licenses and prompt staff for renewals, as required and completes annual registration for security license for an employer with Service Ontario.
- Schedules bi-weekly Security Supervisor meetings and document meeting minutes.
- Tracks all incidents including trespass, theft, fire/intruder alarms, missing persons, First Aid, Medical, Violence & Harassment, Property Damage for statistical analysis and provides monthly and annual stats to the Director, Safety & Security.
- Reviews and approves all reports in the incident reporting system for completion, escalate to the Director, Safety & Security as required.
- Facilitates investigations into high-level incidents.
- Manages all vendors’ contracts including contract security, radio, cameras, uniforms and review all invoices for accuracy and prepare them for payment.
- Assists in the management of Security department budget and provide feedback and rationale for annual budgeting including requirements for new equipment or maintenance.
- Ensures the operational effectiveness of all security systems, manages lost and found program including logging and disposal and provides effective recommendations to improve efficiencies of operations.
- Works with Production to ensure security needs are met for each event, festival and performance.
- Acts as back up for the Security department if a supervisor is absent or position is vacant.
Skills & Requirements
- Comprehensive knowledge of safety and security methods and policies acquired through a minimum of 5 years’ experience in a security or law enforcement administration role.
- Degree or diploma in a Law Enforcement, Safety or Emergency Management discipline.
- Working knowledge of security’s powers of arrest, the Trespass to Property Act and related sections of the Criminal Code of Canada
- Valid standard First Aid/CPR certificate and Security License.
- Valid certification of provincial standards in Use of Force (Handcuffing and Baton).
- Excellent organizational skills with proven ability to set and meet priorities and deadlines.
- Working knowledge of security and fire and life safety equipment (such as portable radios, CCTV, access control systems, fire panels and firefighting equipment).
- Good working knowledge of common computer programs such as MS Word, Excel and email.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. Non-Canadian applicants must have a valid employment Visa and proper documentation authorizing their ability to work in Canada.
- This role is based in Toronto. Remote work from home is currently in place, however when a return-to-work directive is communicated, the candidate must be able to work on site at our downtown lakeside campus.
- Harbourfront Centre recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks during the current pandemic. As such, an offer of employment shall be conditional on proof of full COVID-19 vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization.
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
How To Apply
Harbourfront Centre values and is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in our teams, creative communities, programmes and services. We invite qualified applicants from all backgrounds to apply. Acceptable applications must include a current resume and a cover letter indicating why you wish to join the team, how you would meet the criteria of what we are seeking, and your salary expectation.
Qualified applicants can submit their candidacy by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than October 20, 2022. Please quote Security Manager in the subject line of the application.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. Suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process