Harbourfront Centre is a leader in providing internationally renowned artistic, educational and recreational programming across a beautiful 10-acre campus at the heart of Toronto’s waterfront. For more than 45 years, Harbourfront Centre has celebrated the best in Canadian culture and the rich mosaic of cultures from around the world, presenting thousands of events annually from music festivals to contemporary dance, to craft and design, to visual arts and more. Welcoming visitors year-round, there is something for everyone at Harbourfront Centre!
Currently, we are seeking twelve Rink Attendants to join our Site Services-Retail and Recreation Department. Reporting to the Operations Manager, The Rink Attendants will act as the first point of contact for customers visiting the Harbourfront Centre Rink. Main duties will be to provide exceptional customer service to everyone looking to rent skates and enjoy a safe skating environment, as well as communicate and enforce Harbourfront Rink Policies. .
Position Title: Rink Attendant
Department: Site Serveries-Retail and Recreation
Reporting to: Operations Manager
Number of Positions: 12
Hourly Rate: $15 – $16.50/hr
Type of Employment: Seasonal
Major Duties & Responsibilities
- Face to face customer interaction answering questions and concerns
- Ensure skaters adhere to rink rules, code of conduct, and COVID safety procedures
- Report ice conditions to rental staff, marketing, and ice maintenance crew
- First respond to first aid by immediate call to security
- Provide skating safety training to patrons
- Safe handling of customers’ personal identification
- Collect and distribute skates and helmets to patrons
- Maintain skate and helmet inventory and shelving
- Clean and disinfect returned skates and helmets
- Customer service offsite for rentals
- Ensure skate and inventory is in safe working condition
- Maintain skate inventory blades by routine checking and sharpening
- Setup and take-down of all signage associated with rink operations.
- Maintain clean and safe work environment behind sales counter and in skate shelves
- Maintain clean and safe environment for patrons to change skates
- Snow removal and salting of rubber matting surrounding the ice
- Ensure proper signage are always displayed, including open/closed status, rink rules, COVID procedures, and learn to skate information
Skills & Requirements
- Ability to skate
- Ability to operate skate sharpening machinery in a safe manner
- Upbeat, positive, and energetic personality to create a friendly and welcoming atmosphere
- Experience with sales including balance sales and accurately reporting daily totals
- Organized and neat with a highly professional work ethic and appearance
- Highly customer-service oriented, must exhibit pro-active customer services skills
- Ability to actively listen to customer questions and comments and respond in a clear and concise manner
- Must be able to work with little or no supervision
- Harbourfront Centre recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks during the current pandemic. Therefore, an offer of employment shall be conditional upon proof of vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization.
- First aid/CPR knowledge is an asset
- Experience in rental environment
- Experience in ice monitoring
- Comfortable providing service to large groups of people at a time
Workplace Health and Safety
- All staff are required to take reasonable care of their own health and safety and that of other personnel (including volunteers and interns) who may be affected by their conduct.
- Complete mandatory safety training: MOL Worker Safety Awareness Training and Workplace Discrimination, Harassment and Violence Prevention Training Modules
- Complete Return to Work- COVID-19 Protocols Training
- Complete training on Working in Cold Weather and abide by all requirements of the policy
- Wear appropriate equipment while on shift.
- 4-8 hour shifts between 8am-11:30pm everyday including holidays
- Available entire contract period of mid-November to mid-March
- Standing on concrete flooring for whole shift
- Repeated reaching and bending
- Some heavy lifting, moving skates and shoveling snow
- Exposed to cold air, wind, and cooler temperatures
- Dusty environment
- Wearing a mask at all times
- Maintain physical distancing in shared spaces
- Reporting any symptom of illness immediately, do not come into work when ill
- Practice good hand hygiene
- Must be fully vaccinated prior to commencement of employment
- Pass on-site screening at begin of each shift.
Harbourfront Centre is committed to building a diverse workforce and strongly encourages qualified applicants from all backgrounds to apply. Suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.Apply
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
Acceptable applications must include a current resume and a cover letter, indicating why you wish to join the team, how you would meet the criteria for this key position, and your salary expectation.
Harbourfront is committed to diversity and inclusiveness. We encourage qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than December 31, 2021. Please quote Rink Attendant in the subject line of your application.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. Suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.