Harbourfront Centre is a leader in providing internationally renowned artistic, educational and recreational programming across a beautiful 10-acre campus at the heart of Toronto’s waterfront. For more than 45 years, Harbourfront Centre has celebrated the best in Canadian culture and the rich mosaic of cultures from around the world, presenting thousands of events annually from music festivals to contemporary dance, to craft and design, to visual arts and more. Welcoming visitors year-round, there is something for everyone at Harbourfront Centre!
We are currently seeking an experienced, diligent and highly organized Payroll & Benefits Manager with a continuous improvement mindset and a service-oriented approach, to administer and manage the organization’s full-cycle payroll and benefits function and all related activities and reporting.
Position Title: Payroll & Benefits Manager
Department: Human Resources
Reporting to: Director, Human Resources
Type of Employment: Full-time, 35 hours per week
The Payroll & Benefits Manager is responsible for providing a high level of client service to all payroll and benefits stakeholders, including but not limited to all employees, Directors, Chiefs and Finance, with exceptional attention to detail and a focus on process efficiency. This role is suitable for someone with an excellent and demonstrated understanding of all employee lifecycle activities, administration, and processing in a work environment with unionized and non-unionized employees.
- Using Ceridian Dayforce integrated payroll system, process full-cycle of biweekly payrolls for all employees (salaried and hourly) in a timely and accurate manner.
- Maintain all payroll-related information in Ceridian Dayforce Payroll/HRIS system.
- Input and process new hires, terminations, and all changes for next payroll cycle including the set-up of applicable employee payroll tables, entitlements, deductions, and accruals.
- Accountable for processing the accurate administration, remittance and reporting of payroll related activities in compliance with relevant employment standards, government legislation, and collective agreements.
- Interpret multiple union contracts ensuring all calculations in the payroll are correct and in accordance with terms of the agreement.
- Act as the first point of contact for all payroll, time & attendance, and benefits related inquiries from internal departments and staff, responding with a service-oriented approach of prompt, courteous, and timely communication.
- Act as the primary point of contact for managerial staff concerning time and attendance system training and inquiries or issues.
- Responsible for recurring and ad-hoc report generation for payroll-related information, as well as the development of new or custom reports. Create custom reports, update monthly Dashboard Metrics, and analyze HRIS data for trends, and inaccuracies.
- Manage and support the HRIS systems; including researching and resolving HRIS problems, unexpected results, or process flaws; perform scheduled activities; recommend solutions or alternate methods to meet requirements.
- Collaborate with the HR team in support of employee onboarding, changes, and terminations, as well as in all aspects of team operations, projects, and other related matters; provide insight, ideas, and solutions.
- Keep current with all payroll legislation. Provide advice and guidance on all payroll matters including payroll systems, record keeping, analysis, and reporting.
- Analyze, process and manage the remittance of all monthly and year-end regulatory filings, including the WCB, payroll taxes, Group RRSP, etc.
- In a timely manner, compile and manage year-end requirements, including preparation, processing and reporting for T4, T4A, taxable benefits, EHT, WSIB and submitting government filings. Reconcile and balance respective payrolls year-end data (EHT, WSIB, etc.) and produce T4 statements.
Issue all required Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and Service Canada forms and documents including ROE’s, T4’s.
- Review, establish and monitor internal controls to ensure that payroll processes are in accordance with legislation as well as company policies and procedures.
- Full ownership of internal external payroll audits.
- Accountable for full cycle benefits administration via external benefits administration platform. Responsible for processing and submitting all benefits enrolment, changes and terminating all employee benefit plans
- Administer and coordinate the process for STD/LTD claims between employees, managers, and benefit carrier.
Skills & Requirements
- 7+ years of full-cycle payroll administration experience in high volume payroll environment with salaried, hourly, seasonal, unionized and non-unionized employee groups, inclusive of timesheet, status changes and terminations administration.
- Advanced demonstrated knowledge and working experience with Ceridian Dayforce integrated HRIS, Payroll, and Time & Attendance software.
- Experience in the administration of full-cycle group benefit plans and Group RRSP plans using stand-alone platforms.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret union contracts ensuring all payroll calculations are accurately processed in accordance with terms of the collective agreement.
- Strong knowledge of Canadian employment laws, policies, and best practices, including COVID-19, and regularly keep up to date on trends and changes. Excellent understanding and in-depth knowledge of Ontario Employment Standards legislation as it relates to payroll and benefits.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to multi-task and prioritize.
- Demonstrated experience managing multiple, competing tasks and priorities. Strong planning, prioritization, organizational, and time-management capabilities.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work independently while exercising professionalism, mature judgment, and decision-making skills.
- Excellent and demonstrated customer service orientation with the ability to build relationships across the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to ensure confidentiality and protection of employee data and other sensitive information.
- Excellent computer and Microsoft Office skills. Advanced proficiency in Excel with the ability to produce high quality, user-friendly reports. Must have demonstrated Excel V-look up and pivot table skills.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Excellent problem-solving, critical thinking and analytical skills with the ability to resolve complex issues.
- Process oriented a continuous improvement mindset with demonstrated experience in process improvements and delivering business efficiencies.
- Ability to interpret, implement and adhere to organizational policies and procedures.
- Ability to quickly deliver solutions that meet the needs of a fast-paced organization.
- Certified Payroll Manager (CPM) designation and current with all regulatory procedures.
- Previous experience in a not-for-profit organization is an asset.
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. Non-Canadian applicants must have a valid employment Visa and proper documentation authorizing their ability to work in Canada.
- This role is based in Toronto. The candidate must be able to work on site at our downtown lakeside campus, however a hybrid-work model is being considered.
- Harbourfront Centre recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks during the current pandemic. As such, an offer of employment shall be conditional on proof of full COVID-19 vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization.
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
Harbourfront Centre values and is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in our teams, creative communities, programmes and services. We invite qualified applicants from all backgrounds to apply. Acceptable applications must include a current resume and a cover letter indicating why you wish to join the team, how you would meet the criteria of what we are seeking, and your salary expectation.
Qualified applicants can submit their candidacy by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than March 4, 2022. Please quote Payroll & Benefits Manager in the subject line of the application.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. Suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.