The Toronto International Festival of Authors (TIFA) at Harbourfront Centre is Canada’s longest-running literary festival. As a charitable, non-for-profit cultural organization, TIFA has presented thousands of leading Canadian and international writers, artists and thinkers on its stages, offering audiences access and empowerment to meet, hear and learn from the best storytellers of our time. Alongside the flagship 11-day Festival, TIFA delivers literary activities and mini-festivals throughout the year, including the MOTIVE Crime & Mystery Festival every June and Toronto Lit Up Book Launches. Our creative programmes continue to adapt to changing times, capturing innovative and enlightening conversations on stage and online. To learn more about us, please visit FestivalOfAuthors.ca.
We are currently looking to bring on board a dynamic and eager Marketing & Communications Coordinator to contribute to the planning, execution, and reporting of all year-round marketing initiatives to help TIFA grow audiences, elevate its profile and generate revenue.
Position Title: Marketing & Communications Coordinator
Reporting to: Head of Marketing
Type of Employment: One year contract (October/November 2023 -2024), 35 hours per week
- Assist with the development of marketing strategy by providing research, collected data, and insight.
- Coordinate the execution and tracking of marketing campaigns, multi-channel promotions, and other initiatives.
- Work cross-functionally with other teams to activate marketing systems related to the delivery of events, including ticketing systems, campaign tracking mechanisms, event logistics and stakeholder communications.
- Coordinate the deployment of marketing and fundraising materials across multiple distribution channels (including print, digital, and out-of-home).
- Assist with the development of TIFA’s email marketing strategy, organize email campaign calendars and deploy communications.
- Coordinate advertising campaigns (traditional and digital).
- Conduct competitive research to help identify new audiences, partners and promotional opportunities.
- Coordinate, distribute, collect and analyze audience surveys.
- Cultivate relationships with strategic partners and stakeholders, and deliver mutually-beneficial results.
- Manage department contact lists and oversee database functionality.
- Coordinate the production of creative assets (print, digital and out-of-home) from collecting raw materials to writing and editing copy, liaising with graphic designers and managing approvals.
- Buy media and traffic ads to outlets.
- Proofread and draft copy for campaigns, letters and other materials.
- Ensure adherence to established organizational brand guidelines and positioning across the organization and by third parties.
- Assist with the coordination of press releases and media interviews, monitor media coverage and archive press clippings.
- Liaise with organizational stakeholders (including government bodies, programme partners and author participants) in a professional manner.
- Implement systems for campaign measurement and capture/monitor results for evaluation and reporting.
- Provide monthly and campaign-specific marketing reports as needed.
- Monitor and update project tracking documents and oversee the completion of tasks effectively and on time.
- Prepare and execute event booking contracts for the box office.
- Update database systems when necessary and run queries and reports.
- Assist with training and supervision of volunteers and seasonal interns.
- Assist with department presentations and meeting preparations.
- Assist with event logistics outside of regular office hours.
- Perform other support activities as required.
- Two (2) years experience working in a marketing or communications role, or similar function.
- Post-secondary education in marketing, communications, or arts administration.
- Proven experience executing and reporting on marketing campaigns, demonstrating an understanding of current trends, tools, best practices and measurement techniques.
- Strong project coordination experience, including preparation and oversight of timelines, ensuring projects are completed on time, budget and on spec.
- Experience working with email automation systems (ie, Wordfly or MailChimp), Customer relationship management and/or ticketing software (ie,Tessitura, Raisers Edge or Salesforce), Google Analytics, Google Adwords, Google UTM manager, campaign tracking and coding practices.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Given the nature of our industry, the incumbent must possess strong writing, editing and proofreading skills.
- Thrives in a fast-moving, collaborative environment.
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, multitasker · Confident, personable and persuasive communicator.
- A creative, numbers-driven individual, self-motivated.
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. International applicants must have a valid employment Visa authorizing their ability to work in Canada for the duration of the one year contract.
- This role is based in Toronto.
- TIFA recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from the health and safety risks associated with COVID-19. As such, an offer of employment shall be conditional on proof of full COVID-19 vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization.
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
TIFA values and is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in our teams, creative communities, programmes and services. We invite qualified applicants from all backgrounds to apply. Acceptable applications must include a current resume and a cover letter indicating how you meet the essential criteria of the position, as well as your salary expectations.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply by contacting email@example.com by October 3, 2023. Please quote TIFA Marketing & Communications Coordinator in the subject line of your application.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. If required, suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.