Harbourfront Centre is a leader in providing internationally renowned artistic, educational and recreational programming across a beautiful 10-acre campus at the heart of Toronto’s waterfront. For more than 45 years, Harbourfront Centre has celebrated the best in Canadian culture and the rich mosaic of cultures from around the world, presenting thousands of events annually from music festivals to contemporary dance, to craft and design, to visual arts and more. Welcoming visitors year-round, there is something for everyone at Harbourfront Centre!
We are currently looking to bring on board an organized, dependable and attentive Marina Administrative Coordinator responsible for the daily operation of Marina Quay West all year long.
Position Title: Marina Administrative Coordinator
Department: Marine Operations
Reporting to: Manager, Marine Operations
Direct reports: Seasonal Dock Attendants, Seasonal Marina Office Assistant
Type of Employment: Part time
- Keep the Director of Commercial Operations, Manager of Marine Operations and the Marina Coordinator/ Dockmaster informed of important activities and on-site issues.
- Provides assistance to customers with both summer and winter on-line slip renewals and applications through Harbour Assist software. Distributes and/or collects parking cards, keys, and key fobs, as well as any necessary marina information.
- Work with Corporate Administration, such as Parking Operations Department in order to order office supplies, and Finance Department activities via Square Inc cashless payments.
- Monitoring and supervising seasonal dock attendant and marina office staff with cash drawer payment software/devices/tablet use, VHF marine radio use, completion of reservations and general marine standard operating procedures.
- Provides assistance to the Marina Coordinator / Dockmaster with marina slip assignments, slip location, and slip occupancy contracts through Excel spreadsheets and Harbour Assist reports.
- Provides assistance to customers as needed to maintain docks and keep boats safe. Monitors docks for repairs and safety hazards by preparing reports as needed.
- Provides monthly and visiting vessel revenue reports including tracking payments and assisting customers with payments via Harbour Assist and revenue for retail sales via Square Assists with Marine department collection. Maintains enough change for customers to use laundry equipment and purchase ice and audio tour devices from the Music Garden.
- Make sure dock walk checks are done every day to determine occupied and open slips. Maintain dock check and other marine operations documents and ensure they are updated and backed up. Maintains accurate slip assignment records by combining these records with staff input, staff log entries, and reservations. Keep accurate slip assignment records in conjunction with Dock Masters and Dock Attendants.
- Reports deteriorating weather conditions to customers. Posts bulletin boards and door notices, maintains the bulletin boards, and sends necessary e-mails or text messages to keep customers informed, as needed. Oversees the communication of marina and other pertinent information to customers via Harbour Assist. Draft messages and provide updates to customers as needed.
- Maintains a list of marina and marine related information for the public about passenger vessels, The Nautical Centre, marina dockage at both marinas and John Quay , water taxis, and clubs and a variety of general site information.
- Provides support for the visitor reservation system using Harbor Assist software by responding to reservation inquiries, processing of applications, sending of confirmation notices and maps, slip assignments, check-in and check-out procedures, visitor orientation, public relations and general visitor support.
- Reports as needed any area exterior or marina building maintenance needs to Property/ Grounds department or Marine Services department maintenance staff using e-mail work order procedures.
- Prepares and responds to Marine Emergency situations, such as fires, sinking boats, spills, electrical outages, and other situations outlined in the Marine Emergency binder, including monitoring boats for sinking and assisting with spill detection, cleaning, and monitoring when needed. Attends spill workshops when required. Works with Boating Ontario, the Ministry of Environment and Climate Change, and the Police and Fire Departments when necessary.
- Responsible for overseeing the rental of City of Toronto Music Garden audio tour devices at Marina Quay West. Assist the Toronto Music Garden staff with event and tour information and group bookings from schools.
- Support to a variety of not-for-profit and profit oriented commercial marine activities located on the site, including Blind Sailing Canada and Disabled Sailing. For example, the commercial operations at Spadina Pier, Spadina Slip, HTO Park West, and Peter St. Bridge are included in this category.
- Reports concerns to the Marina Coordinator / Dockmaster and Manager of Marine Operations for illegal or disallowed activities such as in-marina chartering. As needed, collaborates with the Toronto Police Service, Transport Canada Marine Safety, Canada Border Service, and RCMP.
- Keep the washrooms, office and laundry areas tidy with the assistance of maintenance and cleaning staff. Assists with the removal of snow and ice from around the marina office, pathways and breakwater area and docks if needed.
- Reports all injuries, accidents, incidents and safety issues for both staff and customers to the Manager of Marine Operations, Human Resources, Safety and Security and the Director of Commercial Operations when required. Completes associated required reports.
- Reports issues with and maintains an array of equipment including VHF marine radios, telephones, POS machine/ tablets, computers, flagpoles, dock carts and general office equipment. Reports on any web site issues.
- Liaise and interact with other Harbourfront Centre Departments, suppliers, community businesses, user groups, organizations, commercial tenants, marine industry contacts, boat owners and marine agencies when required.
- Assists with fulfilling the approved needs of Location Managers and Directors for movie, television or other on-location shoots or film or photography events.
- Previous supervisory work experience in a marina or yacht club environment.
- Must possess the following personal attributes: friendly, positive attitude and outgoing.
- Extensive knowledge of the recreational boating industry.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Must be organized, neat, clean and professional.
- Financial settlement, point of sale system and credit card processing knowledge
- General knowledge of boat operation, ownership and maintenance.
- Must be able to swim.
- Holds a valid valid Ports Toronto Power Vessel Operator Permit, Canadian Pleasure Craft Operator Card (PCOC) and an Industry Canada Marine Radio Telephone Operator Certificate.
- Extensive expertise in boat handling . (May have lived on a boat is a plus.)
- First aid/ CPR, water safety and marine emergency response training an asset.
- Familiarity with Marina Management software is an asset.
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. Non-Canadian applicants must have a valid employment Visa and proper documentation authorizing their ability to work in Canada
- Harbourfront Centre recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks during the current pandemic. As such, an offer of employment shall be conditional on proof of full COVID-19 vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization.
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
Harbourfront Centre values and is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in our teams, creative communities, programmes and services. We invite qualified applicants from all backgrounds to apply. Acceptable applications must include a current resume and a cover letter indicating why you wish to join the team, how you would meet the criteria of what we are seeking.
Qualified applicants can submit their candidacy by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than February 3rd, 2023. Please quote Marine Administrative Coordinator in the subject line of the application.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. Suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.