Harbourfront Centre is a leader in providing internationally renowned artistic, educational and recreational programming across a beautiful 10-acre campus at the heart of Toronto’s waterfront. For more than 45 years, Harbourfront Centre has celebrated the best in Canadian culture and the rich mosaic of cultures from around the world, presenting thousands of events annually from music festivals to contemporary dance, to craft and design, to visual arts and more. Welcoming visitors year-round, there is something for everyone at Harbourfront Centre!
We are looking for a proactive, engaging, and collaborative Hospitality Coordinator to oversee all food and beverage services across campus as part of our Visitor Experience team. This position reports to the Hospitality Manager and provides the opportunity to operate multiple types of events in a multidisciplinary arts institution.
Position Title: Hospitality Coordinator
Department: Visitor Experience
Reporting to: Manager, Hospitality
Direct reports: Hospitality Supervisors; Bartenders
Type of Employment: Full Time
Summary of Function
Managing and overseeing all of Harbourfront Centre’s food, beverage, and hospitality offerings is the responsibility of the Hospitality Coordinator. In addition to maintaining strict inventory controls and upholding expectations set out in training, the successful applicant will ensure venue readiness and cleanliness, as well as maintain food and beverage services related to venues and food and beverage services.
The Hospitality team is a key part of the events and receptions that happen across Harbourfront Centre and contributes greatly to the visitor experience. This full-time position may require evening hours and/or weekends when events are taking place.
• Develops institutional knowledge of Harbourfront Centre, its mission, and its various venues and events.
• Demonstrates knowledge of the Hospitality industry, including food handling guidelines, and AGCO regulations.
• Attends meetings and collaborate with other internal departments, partners, and rental clients to successfully execute events.
• Coordinates hospitality event logistics, including catering, event set- up & strike, rentals, and specialty requests.
• Coordinates food and beverage services for artists and VIPs with a high degree of customer service.
• Manages resources within budgetary guidelines alongside the Hospitality Manager.
• Ensures all events and functions are captured in Harbourfront Centre’s event management system, Artifax.
• Works with the Hospitality Manager to ensure accurate staff scheduling.
• Builds information packages for staff and oversee day-of hospitality execution.
• Participates in the evaluation of festivals, events, and shows, making recommendations for continuous improvement and implementing changes.
• Creates preliminary quotes for event services, rentals, catering, and any other hospitality requests for internal and external programming.
• Works with the Hospitality Manager to ensure events stay on budget and to track department expenditures.
• Utilizes Harbourfront Centre’s event management system Artifax to record and process Hospitality charges.
• Manages cash till balances and deposits.
• Leads in the management of Harbourfront Centre’s point of sale system, Square.
• Provide reconciliations of bar sale revenues.
• Accurately process vendor invoices and work with Finance to ensure all charge backs and invoices are processed.
• Assist the Hospitality Manager to reconcile credit card purchases using general ledger codes.
• Ensures the overall readiness and cleanliness of venues and related food and beverage servic.es
• Oversees bar operations, including inventory management, equipment maintenance, and menu accuracy throughout entire campus.
• Maintains overall preparedness of Dressing Rooms in theatre venues.
• Manages and maintain Staff Coffee Service in kitchens.
• Manages linen cleaning, allotment, and distribution for internal events.
• Places product and equipment orders with vendors on an ongoing basis.
• Collaborates with the Hospitality Manager in the development of a dynamic team to deliver a high-level customer service program.
• Leads orientation and training of all staff members and monitor staff to uphold expectations and in team building.
• Be a subject matter expert in AGCO controls and regulations.
• Ensures that bar staff have the skills, tools, and resources necessary to deliver excellent customer service.
• Assists Volunteer Coordinator with Volunteer Hospitality Program and manage Hospitality volunteers when on-site.
• Maintains strong relationships with clients, both internal and external.
• Builds strong relationships with service and equipment suppliers, vendors, and preferred caterers.
• Three or more years in hospitality industry, preferably in catering/events is considered an asset.
• Degree or diploma in Hospitality/Events Management an asset.
• Must be Smart Serve certified.
• Ability to work independently as well as a member of a team.
• Excellent ability to organize and retain information regarding various events/festivals simultaneously.
• An understanding of inventory controls and the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) rules.
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office 365.
• Ability to work nonstandard hours and weekends to deliver service as required when events are occurring.
• Outstanding relationship-management skills, including the ability to work closely and collaboratively with a wide range of stakeholders.
• A well-defined sense of diplomacy, including solid negotiation, conflict resolution, and people-management skills.
• Effective communication skills with individuals at all levels of the organization.
• Candidate must be able to lift 25lbs+.
• Experience working in theaters or live event spaces is considered an asset.
• Food Handlers’ Certification is considered an asset.
• Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. Non-Canadian applicants must have a valid employment Visa and proper documentation. authorizing their ability to work in Canada on a full-time basis.
• Harbourfront Centre recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks associated with COVID-19. As such, an offer of employment shall be conditional on proof of full vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization.
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
Harbourfront Centre is committed to diversity and inclusiveness. We encourage qualified applicants from all backgrounds to apply and we welcome applicants from individuals who identify as belonging to equity priority groups. Acceptable applications must include a current resume and a cover letter indicating how you meet the requirements criteria of the position.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply by contacting email@example.com by no later than March 10, 2023. Please quote Hospitality Coordinator in the subject line of your application.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. If required, suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.