Application Deadline: March 29, 2023
The Toronto International Festival of Authors (TIFA) is a charitable, cultural organization located at Harbourfront Centre, internationally renowned for its programming in the arts, culture and recreation across a stunning 10-acre site at the heart of Toronto’s waterfront. As Canada’s largest and longest-running celebration of words and ideas, TIFA’ s vision is to inspire, empower and connect through the art of stories. We do this through literary festivals, programmes, and events that bring together people of all ages (virtually or in person) to celebrate books, stories, authors and artists with a breadth of bold, ambitious, accessible and engaging literary experiences from Toronto, Canada and around the world.
TIFA champions the best of Canadian and international publishing, generating conversations, partnerships and collaborations, and fosters new thinking about what it means to be living in today’s world. Under the dynamic leadership of Roland Gulliver, TIFA has embarked on a range of strategic and creative ambitions, working with diverse audiences and communities, alongside presenting some of the best authors and artists from around the world. Our year-round programmes include:
- The flagship Festival every September- 11 days featuring 200 events and activities with music, performance, spoken word, film, installations and exhibitions, alongside readings, interviews and book signings.
- MOTIVE Crime & Mystery Festival, launched in June 2022, a 3-day festival celebrating all aspects of the genre.
- TIFA Kids, a dynamic, entertaining international programme of performances, talks, workshops and drop in programmes for children aged 0 to 14 years.
- Toronto Lit UP, an annual programme spotlighting Toronto writers.
- TIFA Book Club, our sell-out series online each Spring and Fall.
- Other year-round events, projects, podcasts and partnerships.
It’s an exciting time to join our evolving organization! We are currently seeking a collaborative, organized and methodical Finance Coordinator to support TIFA’s day-to-day financial operations, managing the year-round finances of the organization alongside the financial delivery of TIFA’s various events, programmes and Festivals.
Position Title: Finance Coordinator
Reporting To: Deputy Director, TIFA
Type of Employment: Full-time, 35 hours per week
The Finance Coordinator is a key role in ensuring the efficient delivery of the business that is Toronto International Festival of Authors, managing the year-round finances of the organization alongside the financial delivery of TIFA’s various events, programmes and Festivals. The incumbent will be responsible for the efficient delivery of the day-to-day financial operations, the monitoring of budgets and financial systems, ensuring accurate and timely financial management of events, programmes and Festivals. The role includes oversight and delivery of a range of income and expenditure including author and artist fees, contract and invoice payments, patron and donor contributions and receipting, grant funding and corporate sponsorships. This role would suit someone with excellent financial and budgeting experience who is highly organized, detail-attentive, and thrives working in a fast-paced environment.
- Maintain and track cashflow, invoices, deposits, reconciliations and cheque requisitions.
- Prepare reports, monitor and reconcile budgets.
- Maintain and develop tools or models for budget tracking of programmes.
- Accounts Payable: Prepare and issue cheque requisitions, international bank transfers and petty cash for author fees and expenses.
- Accounts Receivable: Process deposits, import payments into Tessitura, send revenue reports to Harbourfront Centre’s Finance department.
- Process invoices in liaison with Harbourfront Centre’s Finance department.
- Prepare cash advances and credit card reconciliations.
- Work with TIFA’s Director and Deputy Director to prepare income and revenue reports and cost analysis of Festivals and fiscal year-end.
- Support the Development department with financial reporting, monitor cash flow and CADAC-related updates.
- Work with the Development Coordinator to ensure patron and individual giving activity is tracked in Tessitura.
- Serve as one of TIFA’s Tessitura “Power Users” for maintaining the database information and financial records.
- A financial background or proven track record working with financial systems and budgets.
- Strong organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail.
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, especially Excel and database management.
- Demonstrated use of tact and diplomacy, and ability to work in a multi-team environment with a collaborative mindset.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, handling pressure well during peak festival times.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to meet set deadlines.
- Experience with Tessitura and/or book-keeping is considered an asset.
- Experience in arts management or the not-for-profit sector is desirable.
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. Non-Canadian applicants must have a valid employment Visa and proper documentation authorizing their ability to work in Canada.
- TIFA continues to recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks associated with COVID-19. As such, an offer of employment shall be conditional upon proof of full Covid-19 vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization.
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
TIFA values and is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in our teams, creative communities, programmes and services. We invite qualified applicants from all backgrounds to apply.
Acceptable applications must include a current resume and a cover letter outlining the qualifications and experience that you would bring to the position, as well as salary expectations.
Qualified applicants can submit their candidacy by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than March 29, 2023. Please quote TIFA-Finance Coordinator in the subject line of the application.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. Suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.