The Toronto International Festival of Authors (TIFA) at Harbourfront Centre inspires and empowers book lovers with a breadth of bold, ambitious and accessible literary experiences. As Canada’s largest literary festival, the charitable organization provides engaging opportunities to meet, hear and learn from the world’s best contemporary writers and thinkers, and to celebrate the power of stories. Since 1974, TIFA has presented over 9,500 authors, including 22 Nobel Laureates, who represent diverse perspectives and a range of literary genres for all ages.TIFA’s creative programmes continue to adapt to changing times, capturing the most innovative and enlightening forms of storytelling, on stage and online. TIFA delivers a year-round programme of events and activities that reflect Toronto to its residents, its literature to the nation, and its creative ambition to the world. TIFA will launch its inaugural crime and mystery festival June 3–5, 2022; and celebrate the 43rd edition of the Festival September 22 to October 22, 2022. To learn more about us, please visit www.festivalofauthors.ca.
We are currently seeking a resourceful, polished and collaborative Executive Coordinator with superb organizational and communication skills to provide full executive and administrative support the Director and the Deputy Director in achieving high level strategic ambitions and success of day-to-day delivery of the organization.
Position Title: Executive Coordinator
Reporting to: TIFA Director, TIFA Deputy Director
Direct reports: Interns and volunteers
Type of Employment: Full time, 35 hours per week.
Summary of Function
The Executive Coordinator is an integral part of the TIFA team and is responsible for providing full executive and administrative assistance to the Director and Deputy Director in support of the strategic vision and the day-to-day operations of the organization. This role acts as a key liaison on behalf of the management team between TIFA colleagues, TIFA’s Board of Directors, Harbourfront Centre, and a range of key external partners ( businesses, government, publishers, artists and authors, etc.). As such, our ideal candidate for this role must possess a strong sense of responsibility and professionalism, diplomatic and positive interpersonal skills, initiative and acumen to perceive situations and quickly adapt for best outcomes, and excellent communication skills to manage written, telephone and in-person correspondence with a diverse range of people.
- Provide proactive administrative support to the Director and Deputy Director inclusive of managing communications and correspondence internally and externally for both the virtual and in-person office environment; managing schedules, diaries and project delivery dates; managing and arranging meetings and appointments; setting agendas; assisting with and reviewing reports.
- Organize weekly staff meetings (develop agenda with Management and take meeting minutes).
- Research and prepare reports and other confidential materials as required by the Director and Deputy Director.
- Assist the Director and Deputy Director with establishing, monitoring, coordinating and implementing the organization’s administrative policies.
- Create and co-ordinate new filing and organization systems, as needed.
- Assist in supervision of interns and volunteers.
- Facilitate interviewing, hiring and/or training for new permanent, part-time and contract staff.
- Assist the Director and Deputy Director with drafting partnership agreements and other contract writing as needed.
- Assist the Development Officer, on behalf of the Director and Deputy Director, as required.
- Liaise with individuals and groups inside or outside of the company on behalf of the Director and Deputy Director.
- Work with Director and Deputy Director to develop and maintain yearly strategy work plans.
- Assist Director and Deputy Director with special projects as required.
- Prepare various correspondence, reports and presentations related to TIFA Board matters and meetings.
- Provide administrative support during TIFA Board meetings and Board committee meetings.
- Assist Director and Deputy Director with TIFA Board relations.
- Assist and attend TIFA festivals and events as required.
- Provide administrative support to facilitate programmes and events as and when opportunities arise.
Skills & Requirements
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in a similar role.
- Excellent organizational skills and an impeccable attention to details.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Google Drive.
- Ability to act with tact and diplomacy when dealing with outside organizations, contacts, Board Members, Patron/Supporters, volunteers, and audiences.
- Excellent written and communication skills (written and verbal).
- Ability to show initiative, creativity and make decisive judgements.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Discretion and the ability to maintain confidential information.
- Availability and flexibility to work some evenings and weekends, the eleven-day period of the 43rd edition of the Festival, and the three-day period of the crime & mystery Festival.
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. All international applicants must have a valid employment Visa authorizing their ability to work in Canada on a full-time, ongoing basis.
- This role is based in Toronto. TIFA is following and complying with all local and provincial protocols associated with the COVID-19 pandemic. While we are currently accommodating employees on a work from home arrangement, when a return-to-work directive is communicated, all employees will be expected to return to work at our lakeside campus.
- TIFA recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks during the current pandemic. As such, an offer of employment shall be conditional on proof of full COVID-19 vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization.
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
At TIFA we are committed to diversity and inclusiveness. We encourage qualified applicants from all backgrounds to apply and we welcome applicants from individuals who identify as belonging to equity priority groups. If required, suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.
Acceptable applications must include a current resume and a cover letter indicating how you meet the essential criteria of the position, as well as your salary expectations.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than March 4, 2022. Please quote Executive Coordinator (TIFA) in the subject line of your application. We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.