Harbourfront Centre is a leader in providing internationally renowned artistic, educational and recreational programming across a beautiful 10-acre campus at the heart of Toronto’s waterfront. For more than 45 years, Harbourfront Centre has celebrated the best in Canadian culture and the rich mosaic of cultures from around the world, presenting thousands of events annually from music festivals to contemporary dance, to craft and design, to visual arts and more. Welcoming visitors year-round, there is something for everyone at Harbourfront Centre!
Located at Harbourfront Centre, School Visits is an innovative field-trip centre that provides hands-on, curriculum-based learning experiences through multidisciplinary programs. Our Waterfront Explorations is a unique spring program offering activities related to Toronto’s urban waterfront. We are currently seeking several enthusiastic and engaging Educators, Waterfront Explorations to teach a combination of Visual Arts and Urban Studies programming to students in the age range of K-Grade 8.
Position Title: Educator, Waterfront Explorations
Department: School Visits
Reporting To: Manager, School Visits
Type of Employment: Seasonal, May & June 2024
Number of Vacancies: 6
Hours of Work: 0-5 days per week
Pay Rate: $19 per hour
- Teach a variety of workshops to a diverse range of students daily, ranging in age from pre-kindergarten to grade 8.
- Prepare, monitor, and reset all classroom spaces.
- Monitor students’ progress, provide assistance and encouragement, and pace workshop to meet students’ needs, ensuring inclusion of all students remains top priority.
- Engage with program documentation and resources and facilitate existing Waterfront Explorations programs to the School Visit standard.
- Provide superior customer service to visiting teachers and student groups.
- Take ownership of student safety during an emergency procedure.
- Keep inventories up to date and in good order, communicate to the School Visits Full Time staff when materials are running low.
- Maintain personal schedule through online scheduling software
- Some training in education and or/child development (B.Ed., E.C.E., M.T., or equivalent) is required. We encourage candidates who are working towards completion of a formal degree in Education to apply and/or who have dedicated commitment to creating inclusive learning spaces for children and youth.
- Able to work with students of all ages and abilities.
- Able to work independently and take ownership for all aspects of programming (set-up, clean-up, supply management).
- Able to motivate and engage students during their time in our workshops.
- Solid organizational skills to manage one’s workday appropriately (timing of workshop, safe arrival and departure, lunch routine, classroom space, required materials, etc.).
- Capable of taking ownership of student safety during an emergency procedure.
- Must be able to attend a mandatory staff training on Thursday May 2, Friday May 3 and Saturday May 4, 2024.
- Able to provide or willing to obtain a Criminal Background Check and/or Vulnerable Sector Screening.
- Relevant experience leading workshops with children in any formal or informal setting (school, gallery, museum, before/after school program, camp) is highly desirable.
- Bilingual (English-French, with emphasis on oral proficiency).
- Ability to work outdoors, as this program takes students outside to explore the waterfront.
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
Harbourfront Centre is committed to building a diverse workforce and strongly encourages qualified applicants from all backgrounds to apply.
Acceptable applications must include a current resume and a cover letter. Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply by contacting email@example.com by no later than February 29, 2024. Please quote Educator, Waterfront Explorations in the subject line of your application.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. Suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.