Application Deadline: June 24, 2022
Harbourfront Centre is a leader in providing internationally renowned artistic, educational and recreational programming across a beautiful 10-acre campus at the heart of Toronto’s waterfront. For more than 45 years, Harbourfront Centre has celebrated the best in Canadian culture and the rich mosaic of cultures from around the world, presenting thousands of events annually from music festivals to contemporary dance, to craft and design, to visual arts and more. Welcoming visitors year-round, there is something for everyone at Harbourfront Centre!
Position Title: DOCK OPERATIONS SUPERVISOR
Department: SAILING & POWERBOATING (HCSP)
Reporting to: ASSISTANT MANAGER
Direct reports: MARINE CUSTOMER SERVICE (DOCK) STAFF
Hours: Seasonal hours of operation (May, June & Sept.) are 12pm-8pm (weekdays), and 9am-8pm (weekends). In July and August, we are open from 12pm-9pm (weekdays), and 9am-9pm (weekends). Employees will work on a rotating shift basis of either 8.00am-4.00pm, 11am-7pm or 1pm-9pm (this will rotate from week to week), 5 Days on, 2 Days off.
Type of Employment: Seasonal
Summary of Function:
Harbourfront Centre Sailing & Powerboating (HCSP) operates a fleet of sailboats and powerboats used for rentals, memberships, corporate events, summer camps, and Sail Canada courses. The Dock Operations Supervisors are required to effectively maintain a safe operational fleet service environment, in which a positive customer experience can be developed and maintained. This role requires integrating the effective management of resources, overseeing overall dock operations, and working with the Marine Maintenance team in the proactive maintenance of the fleet. In this role, the Dock Operations Supervisors will manage and support the Marine Customer Service Crew (Dock Staff) team, ensuring a safe operating environment, successful customer liaison (check-outs and check-ins), and overseeing overall effective and efficient team performance in all aspects. We have seasonal full-time positions and part-time positions available.
• Daily management of fleet cleanliness and readiness
• Ensuring that the fleet is effectively and efficiently maintained and operational
• Effectively communicating fleet status to all management, dock and office staff through regular meetings
• Assist the maintenance team with the organization and management of fleet repairs and fleet requirements such as fuel and parts
• Assistance and in the opening operations and closing of operations
• Assistance with Junior Sail Camp preparation and close out activity
• Establishing a safe operating environment based on safety regulations
• Ensuring tidiness and cleanliness of facilities
• Ensuring the safe operations of staff and equipment
• Ensuring that the on-site physical infrastructure is an acceptable standard
• Ensuring a safe and positive customer experience and monitoring of customer qualification eligibility for boat usage
• Current and effective management of boat resources during high usage periods
• Overseeing prioritization of work based on boat issues arising during the season and resource availability
• Responsible for retrieval of patrons who have difficulty operating their vessels
• Daily monitoring of weather patterns in compliance with safe boating & company policy
• The Dock Operations Supervisor is responsible for ensuring the health and safety of their direct report staff and outside work areas at HCSP. This includes daily site checks and fleet readiness when on shift, and any issues or concerns addressed and communicated with the HCSP Assistant Manager, or Manager.
• As weather is paramount to our operations, constant monitoring, when on shift, is required in compliance with the HCSP Weather Policy. The Dock Operations Supervisor will communicate with the Assistant Manager or Manager, any changes in weather as a proactive response to the weather conditions throughout the operational season. This is for the health and safety of our staff and customers and
SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS
• The candidate must have a good working knowledge of sail and power boats
• Receptive to changing environments
• Strong communicator at all levels
• Able to prioritize workload
• Can demonstrate initiative and resourcefulness
• Good at dealing with people
• Proactive thinker
• Good time management skills
• Works well in a team environment
• Able to lead and coordinate a team
• Good working knowledge of boats (both sail and power)
• Small engine maintenance skills
• PCOC Required (training will be provided)
• Working knowledge of boats
• Can work to deadlines
• Can motivate oneself and others
• Enthusiastic and ambitious
• The nature of the job requires weekend work.
• Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. Non-Canadian applicants must have a valid employment Visa and proper documentation authorizing their ability to work in Canada for the full duration of the contract.
• Harbourfront Centre recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks during the current pandemic. As such, an offer of employment shall be conditional on proof of full COVID-19 vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
Harborfront is committed to diversity and inclusiveness. We encourage qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than June 24, 2022. Please quote Dock Operations Supervisor in the subject line of your application.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. Suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.