Harbourfront Centre is a leader in providing internationally renowned artistic, educational and recreational programming across a beautiful 10-acre campus at the heart of Toronto’s waterfront. For more than 45 years, Harbourfront Centre has celebrated the best in Canadian culture and the rich mosaic of cultures from around the world, presenting thousands of events annually from music festivals to contemporary dance, to craft and design, to visual arts and more. Welcoming visitors year-round, there is something for everyone at Harbourfront Centre!
Currently, we are seeking self-motivated and reliable individuals to join our Marine Operations Department as Dock Attendants. This is an outdoor seasonal position for fall 2023.
Position Title: Dock Attendants
Department: Marine Operations
Reporting To: Dock Masters
Employment Type: Seasonal/Contract
Number of Vacancies: 4
Duration: August 25, 2023 (or later) t0 October 15, 2023.
Hours: Rotating shifts (start as early as 9:00 a.m. to as late as midnight) including weekends and all holidays. Campus runs seven days per week. Subject to change based on Government Health Guidelines.
Salary: $15.50 – $16.25per hour plus vacation and statutory holiday pay. Paid bi-weekly electronically.
Interviews: Will be conducted either in person or virtually via MS Teams, Zoom or other platforms mid-August to mid-September. We regret interviews may not be granted to all applicants. You may be contacted to see if skills and experience are suitable.
Location: Toronto, ON
- Dock and undock large harbour charter and tour boats, large visiting yachts and perhaps some ships. Maintain cruise schedules, passenger reporting logs and records for line handling coordination, safety and berth management purposes.
- Help customers dock and undock their pleasure craft within two public marinas and on boardwalk portions of the site;
- Check-in and out all marina visitors. Assist with hotel like slip reservation bookings via Harbour Assist software and concierge services including the processing of agreements and associated payment for docking on campus.
- Collect and process slip deposits and fees for season long customers. Ensure accurate completion of marina agreement paperwork by ALL pleasure craft owners;
- Learn to use elements of our Harbour Assist Marina Management software including communication and payment tracking.
- Provide marina customers and site tourists with visitor information;
- Work with local marine safety (Marine Police and Marine Fire) re emergency support. Work with the Canada Border Service Agency as required. Develop knowledge of marine emergency and spill response procedures. Obtain training from our Emergency Planning staff. Work with our Safety and Security Team daily.
- Conduct daily early morning dock walks to establish the exact positions, status, security and safety of all boats in marinas;
- Assist with basic cleaning and organizing of offices, washrooms, laundry and shower areas at marinas as needed;
- Hose off the docks, collect garbage and recyclables, report maintenance concerns and maintain company equipment. Assist with the collection of floating debris such as weeds, plastic bags, bottles, cups etc. Keep the marina office area tidy and clean both in and out.
- Provide weather data and other important notices and information to boaters. Monitor and keep bulletin boards tidy and neat;
- Monitor and respond to calls on the VHF marine radiotelephone. Acquire an Industry Canada Marine VHF Radiotelephone licence by May 31st. Course training and materials will be provided;
- Rent Toronto Music Garden Park self-guided audio tour devices (Marina Quay West only);
- Assist customers with luggage, groceries and provide a range of customer support using provided dock carts;
- Sell retail products including ice, pump-out machine tokens and ice cream products where applicable;
- Promote and support a variety of activities including our Harbourfront Sailing and Power Boating operation, canoe/ kayak schools and clubs, Disabled Sailing, Blind Sailing Canada and all passenger vessel operations etc.
- Operate a pump out service centre for boat waste management. Pump boat holding tanks out as needed. Maintain pump out machine via basic maintenance service. Training will be provided.
- Complete a daily Dock Attendant Log or staff communication and record keeping purposes.
- Abide by all Harbourfront Centre Health & Safety Policies and Procedures as well as all requirements of the Occupational Health & Safety Act and applicable regulations.
- Abide by Harbourfront Centre’s Workplace Discrimination, Harassment and Violence Prevention Policy.
- Identify and report all health and safety concerns immediately to your supervisor.
- Participate in all required Health & Safety Training including Emergency Preparedness and Workplace Violence and Harassment Training.
- Familiarity with either sailing, power boating, marina operations or commercial marine activities. Preference will be given to candidates with extensive customer service employment in a public marina, yacht club or a marine environment with similar services.
- Organized and neat with a highly professional work ethic and appearance.
- Energetic, dynamic, outgoing, personable and polite. Enjoys dealing with the public. Friendly positive personality.
- Highly customer service oriented, must exhibit exceptional pro-active customer service skills.
- Must be able to work without supervision.
- Comfortable working around the water. Must be able to swim well. Please submit valid swimming certificates.
- Cash handling and credit/debit card processing experience an asset.
- Enjoy working outdoors in all weather conditions i.e., hot and cold or rainy.
- Police Background check letter requirement. Can be obtained on-line via Toronto Police Services web site.
- Health & Safety experience is an asset.
- First aid / CPR and water safety an asset.
- Boat handling / driving experience an asset.
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. Non-Canadian applicants must have a valid employment Visa and proper documentation authorizing their ability to work in Canada for the full duration of the contract.
- Harbourfront Centre recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks during the current pandemic. As such, an offer of employment shall be conditional on proof of full COVID-19 vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization.
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
Harborfront is committed to diversity and inclusiveness. We encourage qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply by contacting email@example.com by no later than September 7.2023 Please quote Dock Attendant in the subject line of your application.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. Suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.