Harbourfront Centre is a leader in providing internationally renowned artistic, educational and recreational programming across a beautiful 10-acre campus at the heart of Toronto’s waterfront. For more than 45 years, Harbourfront Centre has celebrated the best in Canadian culture and the rich mosaic of cultures from around the world, presenting thousands of events annually from music festivals to contemporary dance, to craft and design, to visual arts and more. Welcoming visitors year-round, there is something for everyone at Harbourfront Centre!
We are currently seeking a dynamic and experienced Chief Development Officer to lead and manage all fundraising and development activities. Reporting to the CEO, the Chief Development Officer will be responsible for developing and implementing comprehensive fundraising strategies and initiatives to secure funds and increase revenue from diverse sources. The ideal candidate will have a strong track record in fundraising, exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, demonstrated success in the arts and culture sector, and the ability to build and maintain strong relationships with donors, sponsors and stakeholders.
Position Title: Chief Development Officer
Reporting to: Chief Executive Officer
Direct reports: Director, Development; Senior Development Officer, Grants and Government Relations; Associate, Corporate Partnerships; Coordinator, Development Operations; Associate, Philanthropy
Key Relationships: Executive Leadership Team, Development Team, Heads of all Harbourfront Centre Teams
Type of Employment: Full Time
Work Location: Toronto
- Develop and implement comprehensive fundraising and development plans to increase revenue and support the organization’s mission and strategic goals.
- Identify and cultivate relationships with individual, corporate, and foundation donors, and secure major gifts and grants.
- Develop and manage a portfolio of donors and sponsors, ensuring effective stewardship and communication to maintain long-term relationships.
- Work closely with the executive team, board of directors, and other stakeholders to develop and execute fundraising strategies and campaigns.
- Manage and supervise Development Team, ensuring effective coordination and collaboration across teams.
- Create and oversee the budget for the development department, ensuring effective use of resources and meeting revenue targets.
- Develop and maintain a thorough understanding of the arts and culture sector and stay up to date with fundraising trends and best practices.
- Attend events, cultivate relationships, and represent the organization to donors, sponsors, and stakeholders.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant regulations and laws related to fundraising and development activities.
- A Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- A minimum of 5-7 years at the executive level with experience in fundraising and development, with a proven track record of securing major gifts and grants.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to effectively communicate the organization’s mission and goals to diverse audiences.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills, with the ability to build and maintain strong relationships with donors, sponsors, and stakeholders.
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills, with experience leading and supervising staff and teams.
- Understanding of the arts and culture sector, including trends and best practices in fundraising and development.
- Knowledge of fundraising software and tools, including donor databases, online giving platforms, and other fundraising technologies.
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with executive team, Board of Directors, staff, and volunteers.
- Strong organizational and project management skills, with the ability to manage multiple projects and priorities simultaneously.
- Commitment to the mission and values of the organization.
- This role is based in Toronto, Ontario.
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. All international applicants must have a valid employment Visa authorizing their ability to work in Canada on a full-time, ongoing basis.
- Harbourfront Centre recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks. As such, an offer of employment shall be conditional on proof of full COVID-19 vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization.
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
If you meet these qualifications and are excited about the opportunity to make a significant impact in the arts and culture sector, we encourage you to apply for this position.
Acceptable applications must include a current resume and a cover letter indicating why you wish to join the team, and how you would meet the requirements of the role. To apply, please submit your candidacy to email@example.com by no later than May 15, 2023. Please quote Chief Development Officer in the subject line of your application.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. Suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.