Harbourfront Centre is a leader in providing internationally renowned artistic, educational and recreational programming across a beautiful 10-acre campus at the heart of Toronto’s waterfront. For more than 45 years, Harbourfront Centre has celebrated the best in Canadian culture and the rich mosaic of cultures from around the world, presenting thousands of events annually from music festivals to contemporary dance, to craft and design, to visual arts and more. Welcoming visitors year-round, there is something for everyone at Harbourfront Centre!
We are currently looking to bring on board an experienced, results-driven and engaging Associate, Philanthropy to play an integral role in Harbourfront Centre’s philanthropic revenue generation and stewardship strategy with a focus on individual and foundation giving. If you are an exceptional fundraising professional with a polished and professional demeanor who thrives on building relationships and is passionate about promoting arts and culture, we would love to hear from you!
Position Title: Associate, Philanthropy
Reporting To: Director, Development
Direct Reports: Coordinator, Philanthropy, Grant Researcher/Writers, Contract Summer Philanthropy Staff /Interns
Type of Employment: Full-Time, 35 hours per week
Work Location: Toronto
- Support major gifts fundraising portfolios of the Director, Development (Individuals and Foundation), including preparation of correspondence, proposals, call briefing notes and call reports.
- Ensure individual donor activity is tracked in Tessitura in association with the Donor Services Officer and Development Assistant, Philanthropy.
- Research and prepare foundation applications, including letters of inquiry and proposals.
- Oversee direct marketing activities (print and digital) to acquire, renew and reactivate annual donors.
- Oversee community giving activities to build awareness of Harbourfront Centre as a charity.
- Liaise with staff across the organization to identify opportunities and develop proposals.
- Nurture relationships with leadership and major donors through regular communications and face-to face meetings and events.
- Organize donor receptions and special events in collaboration with Programming and Production teams.
- Prepare gift agreements in adherence to Gift Acceptance Policy.
- Oversee Harbourfront Centre’s recognition society and execute associated benefits, including development of new donor walls and administration of updated recognition and benefits structure.
- Work with Marketing and Design teams to ensure appropriate donor recognition & stewardship in relevant communications and marketing materials.
- Develop in-depth knowledge of Harbourfront Centre programs, events and audiences.
- Attend external receptions, conferences, seminars and other events at Harbourfront Centre and within the community as a representative of the institution.
- Provide relevant and timely updates to Director, Development on status of various philanthropic projects and initiatives.
- Manage and guide relevant Development staff, including volunteers and summer contract employees.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Exceptional fundraising professional with a minimum of five (5) years’ experience.
- University degree of equivalent work experience.
- Polished and professional demeanor and ability to interact with prospects, donors, staff and volunteers from a variety of backgrounds and giving levels.
- Excellent written and communication skills.
- Outstanding interpersonal and relationship-management skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Demonstrated use of tact and diplomacy, and ability to work in a cross-functional team setting.
- Ability to respect confidential and sensitive private personal information.
- Excellent computer skills including extensive experience using Tessitura, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Experience managing, motivating and supporting staff.
- French language is considered an asset.
- Knowledge of the arts and culture sector is valued.
- Experience using Tessitura / other CRMs is desirable.
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. Non-Canadian applicants must have a valid employment Visa and proper documentation authorizing their ability to work in Canada.
- This role is based in Toronto. A hybrid model of work-from-home and work-on-location could be considered.
- Harbourfront Centre recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks during the current pandemic. As such, an offer of employment shall be conditional on proof of full COVID-19 vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization.
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
Harbourfront Centre values and is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in our teams, creative communities, programmes and services. We invite qualified applicants from all backgrounds to apply.
Acceptable applications must include a current resume and a cover letter indicating salary expectations and why you would be the perfect fit for the role.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their candidacy by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than February 3, 2023. Please quote Associate, Philanthropy in the subject line of the application.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. Suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.