The Toronto International Festival of Authors (TIFA) is a charitable, cultural organization and is Canada’s largest and longest-running celebration of words and ideas. With a full-time staff of 14, TIFA’s offices and main programming spaces are located at Harbourfront Centre, internationally renowned for its programming in the arts, culture and recreation across a stunning 10-acre site at the heart of Toronto’s waterfront.
TIFA’s vision is to inspire, empower and connect through the art of stories. We do this through literary festivals, programmes, and events that bring together people of all ages (virtually or in person) to celebrate books, stories, authors and artists with a breadth of bold, ambitious, accessible and engaging literary experiences from Toronto, Canada and around the world. TIFA champions the best of Canadian and international publishing generating conversations, partnerships and collaborations, and fosters new thinking about what it means to be living in today’s world. The year-round programme includes our 11-day flagship Festival each September, the MOTIVE Crime & Mystery Festival (launched in June 2022), Toronto Lit UP an annual programme spotlighting Toronto writers, TIFA Book Club, plus a year-round programme of events, projects and partnerships.
Under the dynamic leadership of Roland Gulliver, TIFA has embarked on a range of strategic and creative ambitions, working with diverse audiences and communities, building strong partnerships and connections with community leaders and organizations at city; alongside presenting some of the best authors and artists from around the world. It’s an exciting time to join our evolving organization and growing team.
We are currently seeking a dynamic, organized and detail-oriented Assistant with excellent communication skills to provide marketing and administrative assistance to the Toronto Lit Up programme, particularly in the areas of promotion, delivery and event support. This role will support strategies and tactics designed to raise awareness of the Toronto Lit Up programme (its availability to Toronto’s publishing industry, and to public audiences).
Position Title: Assistant, Toronto Lit Up
Reporting to: Head of Marketing
Type of Employment: Part-time contract, 20-25 hours per week, including some evenings and weekends
Contract Term: January TBA 2023 – March 31, 2025
• Provide professional support and service to Toronto Lit Up’s participating authors, publishers and partners.
• Keep organized lists and files of past, current and future Toronto Lit Up books, authors and events.
• Coordinate the production and delivery of Toronto Lit Up branded assets (including graphics and signage), while ensuring compliance with proper brand and visual guidelines, as well as inclusion of applicable funder recognition.
• Execute promotional campaign tactics to drive audiences to Toronto Lit Up events, including (but not limited to): Posting events on the TIFA website, composing social media content, providing copywriting and proof-reading support and advertising.
• Track campaign results and report on findings.
• Support Toronto Lit Up’s annual call for submissions and selection announcements.
• Support grant reporting initiatives.
• Attend Toronto Lit Up events (virtual and in person) as an ambassador of TIFA and take photos.
• Help identify new opportunities to promote the Toronto Lit Up programme to new audiences
• Collect programme data and file information per TIFA’s administration procedures for archival and grant reporting purposes.
• Assist in the collection of event receipts, signed agreements, cheque reconciliation, and other administrative tasks.
• Support other Toronto Lit Up initiatives as required.
• Completed courses, certifications or internship experience in the areas of marketing, advertising, business administration, communications, arts administration or publishing.
• Superb written and communication skills, with a strong command of English grammar and persuasive storytelling technique.
• General understanding of marketing and communications strategies and campaign techniques.
• Working knowledge of digital marketing platforms for business, including content management systems, such as Wordfly, Mail Chimp or Sprout Social and front-end website development (WordPress), basic HTML.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
• Superior organization skills for detailed, timely and accurate project coordination.
• Demonstrated interest in arts and literature.
• Self-motivated, independent worker takes initiative.
• Willingness to travel throughout the GTA to attend Toronto Lit Up events.
• Will be required to work evening and weekend events.
• TIFA is currently working in a hybrid office environment with the balance of in-office and remote work determined by departmental needs.
• TIFA recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks during the current pandemic. As such, an offer of employment shall be conditional on proof of full COVID-19 vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization.
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
TIFA and Harbourfront Centre are equal opportunity employers, committed to diversity and inclusiveness in our teams, creative communities, programmes and services. We invite qualified applicants from all backgrounds to apply.
Acceptable applications must include a current resume and a cover letter outlining the qualifications and experience that you would bring to the position.
Qualified applicants can submit their candidacy by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than December 20, 2022. Please quote TIFA –Assistant, Toronto Lit Up in the subject line of the application.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. Suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.