Harbourfront Centre is a leader in providing internationally renowned artistic, educational and recreational programming across a beautiful 10-acre campus at the heart of Toronto’s waterfront. For more than 45 years, Harbourfront Centre has celebrated the best in Canadian culture and the rich mosaic of cultures from around the world, presenting thousands of events annually from music festivals to contemporary dance, to craft and design, to visual arts and more. Welcoming visitors year-round, there is something for everyone at Harbourfront Centre!
We are currently looking to bring on board an organized, collaborative and dynamic Assistant Producer, eager and self-motivated to assist in the planning, execution, and oversight of diverse and multidisciplinary programming for festivals and events at Harbourfront Centre.
Position Title: Assistant Producer
Department: Cultural Engagement
Reporting To: Manager, Cultural Engagement
Type of Employment: Full-time, 35 hours per week
• Assists the programming teams in the planning of events, including brainstorming programming ideas, researching potential artists and groups, and keeping track of deliverables.
• Provides administrative assistance in carrying out the critical path leading up to the festival, including preparing contracts, arranging décor, helping with artist services, and sharing updates and festival overviews with other departments.
• Assists with festival set-up, execution & strike, serves as lead venue contact.
• Works with the volunteer team to request volunteers and acts as a point of contact for volunteers on the day of the event.
• Attends meetings for events, festivals, and others (with production staff, artists, curators, and other partners) and records minutes as required.
• Works within the contract software database Artifax and assists with supporting Partner Festivals as required.
• Assists as needed on special assignments designated by the Chief Programming Officer, the Director, Cultural Engagement, or the Manager, Cultural Engagement
• Liaises with Marketing & Communications departments to ensure accuracy and appropriateness of publicity and marketing strategies for programs.
• Preparation of the booking and billing contracts, and keeps other departments informed of program plans.
• Helps to establish and/or work within an established critical path for each event that incorporates key internal and external departments i.e. production, marketing, finance.
• Supports the evaluation of program success and effectiveness in meeting programming objectives.
• Helps to collect information from program participants and other departments, assists with the preparation of evaluation reports and makes recommendations on if, when and how to repeat the event.
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite, and database management.
- Must enjoy and be capable of working in a fast-paced environment with a spirit of adaptability and flexibility.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability and aptitude to deal with outside peers, the general public and media, and to collaborate with other internal departments, diverse communities and cultural partners, respectfully and productively.
- Excellent demonstrated organizational skills with the ability to coordinate multiple activities and programs.
- Very strong attention to detail and a keen eye for accuracy in data entry and document management.
- Ability to handle conflict or high-stress situations with composure, tact and diplomacy.
- Availability to varying work schedules and weekend work and ability to manage periods of substantial overtime during events.
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. Non-Canadian applicants must have a valid employment Visa and proper documentation authorizing their ability to work in Canada.
- This role is based in Toronto. A hybrid model of work-from-home and work-on-location is possible, based on our remote work policy.
- Harbourfront Centre supports a pet-friendly workplace based on our workplace pet policy parameters.
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
Harbourfront Centre values and is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in our teams, creative communities, programmes and services. We invite qualified applicants from all backgrounds to apply.
Acceptable applications must include a current resume and a cover letter indicating why you wish to join the team, how you would meet the criteria of what we are seeking, and your salary expectation.
Qualified applicants can submit their candidacy by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than February 23, 2024. Please quote Assistant Producer in the subject line of the application.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. Suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.