Harbourfront Centre is a leader in providing internationally renowned artistic, educational and recreational programming across a beautiful 10-acre campus at the heart of Toronto’s waterfront. For more than 45 years, Harbourfront Centre has celebrated the best in Canadian culture and the rich mosaic of cultures from around the world, presenting thousands of events annually from music festivals to contemporary dance, to craft and design, to visual arts and more. Welcoming visitors year-round, there is something for everyone at Harbourfront Centre!
Currently, exciting employment opportunities exist in Harbourfront Centre for a full time Assistant Manager, Front of House and Hospitality, this position offers the opportunity to work for one of the leading multidisciplinary arts institutions in the world.
Summary of Function:
Harbourfront Centre operates a ten-acre site that encompasses five theatres – Fleck Dance Theatre (capacity 446), Harbourfront Centre Theatre (capacity 350), Studio Theatre (capacity 196), Brigantine Room (cabaret-style 250), and Lakeside Terrace (theatre 250); and various alternative multi-purpose spaces for presentations, workshops, school classes, camps and other activities. Outdoor stages include the large amphitheater-style Concert Stage (1200 seated, 3500 standing), the smaller Stage in the Round and summer music concerts in the Toronto Music Garden. The site also includes two art galleries; six working craft and design studios; various alternative exhibition spaces; and the central public spaces, Canada Square and Ontario Square.
The Assistant Manager, Front of House and Hospitality will assist in the development and stewardship of exceptional audience and client service for all Harbourfront Centre theatres and venues. The incumbent will work with the Harbourfront Centre production team and rental clients to obtain information on all aspects of each event as it relates to front of house and hospitality services. In conjunction with the Manager, the incumbent will assist with the recruitment, orientation, training, scheduling, and evaluation of all Front of House and Food and Beverage staff as well as provide support in the administration of operating and capital budgets. As a team leader, the incumbent will develop and mentor the Supervisors, with a focus on team building, and the development and execution of a high customer service standard, befitting Harbourfront Centre.
Position Title: Assistant Manager, Front of House and Hospitality
Department: Visitor Experience
Reporting To: Manager, Front of House and Hospitality
Direct Reports: FOH Supervisors, F&B Supervisors, Visitor Services Representatives, Bartenders
Works With: All departments campus wide, including the Board, tenants, external clients, and festival partners.
Salary Range: $40,000-$55,000
Type of Employemnt: Full Time
- Collaborate in the development and execution of a high-level customer service program with the Manager, Front of House and Hospitality
- Ensure that front line staff have the skills, tools, and resources necessary to deliver excellent customer service to guests, audiences, and clients for every event at Harbourfront Centre
- Assist with the recruitment, hiring, onboarding, and training of Front-Line staff and Supervisors
- Ensure staff schedules are prepared for all venues, ensuring that all hours and shifts conform to the Employment Standards act
- Assist the Manager in coordinating various personnel functions such as collecting and verifying staff time sheets and submitting payroll
- Provide Planning team with accurate staff schedules and estimates
- Participate in the evaluation of festivals, events, and shows, making recommendations for continuous improvement and implementing changes as needed
- Report needed repairs to the building, lobbies, bars, and all equipment
- Ensure appropriate inventory levels of product in venues and shared kitchen spaces
- Development of creative and innovative hospitality solutions
- The coordination of food and beverage for artist hospitality
- Ensure bar operations are providing and maintaining a consistent service in conjunction with our food and beverage partner Boxcar Social
- Maintain overall readiness, cleanliness, and maintenance of venues, inventory locations, and shared kitchen spaces
- Other duties as required
- Build and develop a dynamic and multi-layered team to deliver a high-level customer service program to Harboufront Centre’s guests, clients, and partners
- Coach and mentor the Supervisors in the development and execution of the high-level customer service program and team building
- Contact arts companies, cultural organizations, rental clients and Harbourfront Centre departments to provide staff with information on all aspects of each show or event
- Attend planning, programming, and client meetings to exchange information and ideas
- Maintain and build relationships with service and equipment suppliers, and vendors
- Be a subject matter expert in AGCO controls and regulations ensuring staff and other departments adhere to AGCO rules
Financial and Contract Management
- Provide reconciliations of bar sales revenues
- Work with stakeholders to ensure that hospitality is delivered within expected budgets
- Reconcile petty cash and expense reports as required
- Complete show and event settlements in a timely manner
- Working with Finance to ensure all charge backs and invoices are processed with our food and beverage partner Boxcar Social
- Oversee all servicing of food and beverage sponsorship contracts, onsite operations, and compliance including annual allocation of donated product
- Make recommendations to Manager on capital budgets and expenditure
- Ensure all events, staffing, schedules, and other related functions are captured in Harbourfront Centre’s event management systems Artifax.
- Coordinate meetings with Site Services and Production for all major events, and circulate updated communications
- Lead in the management of point of sale systems for Harbourfront Centre events
Skills & Requirements
- Five + years supervisory/management experience (preferably within hospitality sector)
- Experience managing business relationships with external partners and third-party providers, and negotiating and structuring creative solutions
- Highly effective communication skills with individuals at all levels of the organization, including the ability to build and maintain relationships with arts companies, cultural partners, and rental clients; fostering open and honest relationships and communication, respecting confidentiality
- Expert level client service delivery
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Strong customer service skills in answering patron’s questions, listening to compliments and concerns, and making audience members feel welcome.
- Proactive, engaging, and collaborative individual who will energize Harbourfront Centre’s Front of House team and Hospitality offering
- Strong understanding of inventory controls
- Strong understanding of the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO)
- Smart Serve Certified
- Computer proficiency in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and web-based applications
- Previous experience with event management and CRM databases an asset (Artifax preferred)
- Experience working with ticketing systems is an asset (Tessitura preferred)
- The ability to work irregular hours including evenings and weekends to deliver service as required
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. All international applicants must have a valid employment Visa authorizing their ability to work in Canada on a full-time, ongoing basis. This role is based in Toronto.
- Harbourfront Centre recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks during the current pandemic. As such, an offer of employment shall be conditional on proof of full COVID-19 vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization.
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
Harbourfront Centre is committed to diversity and inclusiveness. We encourage qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply by contacting email@example.com by no later than January 24, 2022. Please quote Assistant Manager-Front of House and Hospitality in the subject line of your application.
Acceptable applications must include a current resume and a cover letter indicating why you wish to join the team, how you would meet the requirements of the role, and your salary expectation.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. Suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.