The Toronto International Festival of Authors (TIFA) at Harbourfront Centre inspires and empowers book lovers with a breadth of bold, ambitious and accessible literary experiences. As Canada’s largest literary festival, the charitable organization provides engaging opportunities to meet, hear and learn from the world’s best contemporary writers and thinkers, and to celebrate the power of stories. Since 1974, TIFA has presented over 9,500 authors, including 22 Nobel Laureates, who represent diverse perspectives and a range of literary genres for all ages. TIFA’s creative programmes continue to adapt to changing times, capturing the most innovative and enlightening forms of storytelling, on stage and online. TIFA delivers a year-round programme of events and activities that reflect Toronto to its residents, its literature to the nation, and its creative ambition to the world. TIFA will launch its inaugural crime and mystery festival June 3–5, 2022; and celebrate the 43rd edition of the Festival September 22 to October 22, 2022. To learn more about us, please visit www.festivalofauthors.ca.
We are currently seeking a dynamic, organized and detail-oriented Administrative Assistant, Marketing with excellent communication skills, to provide general assistance to the TIFA marketing and communications team, particularly in the areas of advertising (digital and traditional), email campaigns, and branded communications. This role will support strategies and tactics designed to increase audience numbers and ticket revenue from TIFA’s annual festivals and other programming (digital and in-person).
Position Title: Administrative Assistant, Marketing
Reporting To: Head of Marketing
Type of Employment: Contract (3 months), July 5 to October 11, 2022
Hours of Work: 35 hours per week (Monday to Friday)
Compensation: $16 per hour
Funding Support: This position is generously supported by Canada Summer Jobs. As such, candidates must meet three specific criteria as found in the Requirements section of this posting.
- Accurately and thoroughly update constituent lists, book lists, partner/sponsor lists and distribution lists.
- Provide professional support to TIFA partners and service providers and coordinate deliverables on spec and on time.
- Assist in the coordination and evaluation of email marketing tactics.
- Assist with the coordination and delivery of printed promotional materials.
- Help with the development and deployment of audience surveys.
- Take part in the coordination and tracking of cross-promotional exchanges with industry partners.
- Provide copywriting and proof-reading support.
- Help identify new audiences and opportunities for value-adds.
- Implement proper ROI tracking for each initiative to capture and analyze campaign metrics and assess methodologies for future improvement.
- Gather and archive promotional assets.
- Leverage cross-functional teams , including colleagues and volunteers, and contribute creatively to team brainstorm sessions.
- On occasion, assist with live event logistics .
- Support other marketing initiatives as required.
- As this position is supported by Canada Summer Jobs, candidates must meet these 3 essential criteria: 1) Be no more than 30 years of age at the start of employment; 2) Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment; 3) Have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
- Completed courses, certifications or internship experience in the areas of marketing, advertising, business administration, communications, arts administration or publishing.
- Superb written and communication skills, with a strong command of English grammar and persuasive storytelling technique.
- General understanding of marketing and communications strategies and campaign techniques.
- Superior organization skills for detailed, timely and accurate project coordination.
- Demonstrated interest in arts and literature.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Working knowledge of digital marketing platforms for business, including content management systems, such as mail chimp or Sprout social, and Front-end website development (WordPress), HTML is highly desirable.
- Experience working or volunteering in a not-for-profit environment is desirable.
- Creative and resourceful thinking skills are highly valued.
- Ability to work/thrive in a fast-moving, collaborative environment.
- Self-motivated, with the ability to work independently and take initiative.
- Ability to synthesize and communicate complex ideas.
- TIFA recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks during the current pandemic. As such, an offer of employment shall be conditional on proof of full COVID-19 vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization.
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
TIFA values and is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in our teams, creative communities, programmes and services. We invite qualified applicants from all backgrounds to apply.
Acceptable applications must include a current resume and a cover letter outlining the qualifications and experience that you would bring to the position. Qualified applicants can submit their candidacy by contacting email@example.com by no later than June 17, 2022. Please quote Administrative Assistant, Marketing in the subject line of the application.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. Suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.