The Power Plant Contemporary Art Gallery at Harbourfront Centre is Canada’s leading public gallery devoted exclusively to the art of our time and is recognized as an important centre for contemporary art in North America. Since 1987, The Power Plant has been on a mission to create an open culture and community for people to be face-to-face with thought-provoking contemporary art and ideas. We have a culturally diverse workforce and audience whose lives and communities we seek to enrich through encouraging exploration of self and society. More than a gallery, The Power Plant is a community hub that caters to adults, youth, and children through broad and unique programming. It is a window into a diverse range of ideas and perspectives that inspire unlimited personal discovery. To learn more about us, please visit www.thepowerplant.org.
We are currently seeking a part time Accounting Clerk who will be responsible for the general accounting and analysis for The Power Plant Contemporary Art Gallery (TPP).
Position Title: Accounting Clerk
Department: The Power Plant
Reporting to: Finance Manager
Compensation: $19.00 – $22.00 per hour
Type of Employment: Part Time 2 – 3 days per week
Summary of Function:
Working with the Finance Manager, the Accounting Clerk is responsible preparing for invoices for TPP; Matches and batch codes invoices, resolves A/P issues, processes expense reports, and payments.
• Processes all requests for Invoices/Credit Memos. Which includes creating and printing invoices in A/R Software module, verifying accuracy and approvals, distributing copies to customer’s a/o appropriate departments, handling queries and filing departmental copies.
• Processes deposits for The Power Plant. Receives cheques/cash, prepares deposit slip and sends to bank as required, mainly for the Finance Dept A/R & NAR (Non A/R); reviews codes for accuracy and enters deposit information into A/R module.
• Follows up on standard financial reports at month end such as A/R Trial Balance, A/R Aging Report.
• Completes payments and controls expenses by receiving, processing, verifying, and reconciling invoices.
• Reconciles processed work by verifying entries and comparing system reports to balances.
• Charges expenses to accounts and cost centers by analyzing invoice/expense reports; recording entries.
• Pays vendors by monitoring discount opportunities, resolving purchase orders, contracts, invoices, or payment discrepancies and documentation.
• Verifies vendor accounts by reconciling monthly statements and related transactions.
• Handles petty cash reconciliations, adhoc reporting requests and other duties as assigned.
Skills & Requirements
• Knowledge of bookkeeping and accounting procedures and computerized systems
• Excellent knowledge of MS Office – strong MS-Excel skills, MS-Word, MS-PowerPoint
• Strong attention to detail
• Strong interpersonal skills, ability to work with all levels throughout the organization and all external stakeholders
• Financial aptitude, organizational skills and ability to prioritize work
• Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. Non-Canadian applicants must have a valid employment Visa and proper documentation authorizing their ability to work in Canada
• Remote work from home is currently in place, however the candidate must be able to work on site at our downtown lakeside gallery as needed, and when a return-to-work directive is in place.
• The Power Plant recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks during the current pandemic. As such, an offer of employment shall be conditional on proof of full COVID-19 vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization.
• Experience in the not-for-profit sector is desirable
• Experience with Microsoft Navision is considered an asset
• Experience with CRM or Ticketing software such as Tessitura is considered an asset
• Good understanding of GAAP is desirable
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
The Power Plant is committed to diversity and inclusiveness. We encourage qualified applicants of all backgrounds to apply. Candidates must be legally able to work in Canada. TPP regrets that it is unable to sponsor employment Visas.
Acceptable applications must include a current resume and a cover letter addressed to Gaëtane Verna, Director of The Power Plant, indicating why you wish to join the team, how you would meet the essential criteria for this key position and your salary expectation.
To apply, please submit your application to email@example.com by no later than March 22, 2022. Please quote Accounting Clerk (The Power Plant) in the subject line of your application.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. Suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.