The Toronto International Festival of Authors (TIFA) at Harbourfront Centre inspires and empowers book lovers with a breadth of bold, ambitious and accessible literary experiences. As Canada’s largest literary festival, the charitable organization provides engaging opportunities to meet, hear and learn from the world’s best contemporary writers and thinkers, and to celebrate the power of stories. Since 1974, TIFA has presented over 9,500 authors, including 22 Nobel Laureates, who represent diverse perspectives and a range of literary genres for all ages.TIFA’s creative programmes continue to adapt to changing times, capturing the most innovative and enlightening forms of storytelling, on stage and online. TIFA delivers a year-round programme of events and activities that reflect Toronto to its residents, its literature to the nation, and its creative ambition to the world. TIFA will launch its inaugural crime and mystery festival June 3–5, 2022; and celebrate the 43rd edition of the Festival September 22 to October 22, 2022. To learn more about us, please visit www.festivalofauthors.ca.
We are currently seeking an attentive, organized and friendly Accounting Clerk to support us with general financial administration and accounting duties, as well as with budgeting and reporting assistance.
Position Title: Accounting Clerk
Reporting to: Deputy Director, TIFA
Type of Employment: Contract (7-8 months duration)
Hours of Work: Weekly required availability ranges from 3-5 days per week, to a maximum of 35 hours per week
Compensation: $22 per hour
- Prepare and issue cheque requisitions for daily expenses and authors’ honouraria/fees.
- Process deposits, import payments into Tessitura, send revenue reports to finance department.
- Request invoices from Harbourfront Centre’s finance department.
- Maintain and track budgets, year-end, invoices, deposits, reconciliations and cheque requisitions.
- Prepare cash advance and credit card reconciliations.
- Assist Deputy Director with year-end finance activities.
- Perform routine administrative and clerical activities including responding to general email inquiries, providing and monitoring invoices, and monitoring incoming and outgoing mail.
- Assist Deputy Director with maintaining financial records, prepare reports, budgeting, analysis, monitor and reconcile department budget, maintain and develop tools or models for budget tracking of programmes.
- Assist the Development Coordinator with financial reporting and monitoring cash flow for existing grants.
- Process donations from donors, members and patrons.
- Ensure patron and individual giving activity is tracked in Tessitura.
- Provide Director and Deputy Director with revenue reports for individual donations, memberships and sponsorships.
- Issue and track charitable tax receipts.
- Work with Event Coordinators to obtain payment information from authors and resolve payment issues.
- Assist Deputy Director and Executive Coordinator with IRAH Board matters, including prepare finances for Board meetings.
- Maintain database, pull reports and lists, update records, merge duplicates, etc. Create new constituents as needed.
Skills & Requirements
- Knowledge of bookkeeping and accounting procedures and computerized systems.
- A diploma or degree (currently enrolled in or completed) in finance, accounting or administration management is considered an asset.
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office – strong MS-Excel skills, MS-Word, MS-PowerPoint.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to work with precision.
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to work with all levels throughout the organization and with a range of diverse external stakeholders.
- Solid financial aptitude, organizational skills and ability to prioritize work.
- Good understanding of GAAP is desirable.
- Experience with CRM or Ticketing software such as Tessitura is considered an asset.
- Experience in the not-for-profit sector is desirable.
- Remote work from home is currently in place, however the candidate must be able to work on site at Harbourfront Centre’s waterfront campus as needed, and when a return to the office directive is fully implemented.
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. Non-Canadian applicants must have a valid employment Visa and proper documentation authorizing their ability to work in Canada for the full duration of the contract.
- The Toronto International Festival of Authors at Harbourfront Centre recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks during the current pandemic. As such, an offer of employment shall be conditional on proof of full COVID-19 vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization.
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
At the Toronto International Festival of Authors at Harbourfront Centre, we are committed to diversity and inclusiveness. We encourage qualified applicants from all backgrounds to apply and we welcome applicants from individuals who identify as belonging to equity priority groups. Acceptable applications must include a current resume and a cover letter indicating how you meet the requirements criteria of the position.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply by contacting email@example.com by no later than April 8, 2022. Please quote TIFA Accounting Clerk in the subject line of your application.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. If required, suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.